Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 02-11-15, 02:12 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 17,670
EA makes more money from Extra content than Full game downloads

EA makes more money from Extra content than from Full game downloads, meaning that DLC is definitely not going anywhere.



Read more on EA's earnings on DLC and other digital content.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-15, 02:17 PM
SuB's Avatar
SuB SuB is offline
The Webmaster
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Taking a break
Posts: 8,720
well in the words of their finance team 'if it aint broke'
__________________
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-15, 02:23 PM
shambles1980's Avatar
shambles1980 shambles1980 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North wales
Posts: 1,185
News flash! sun coming up makes night time turn in to day time!
__________________
i7 2600, intel dz77sl-50k, 16gb 1600 DDR3, 900d case, gtx 780 @ 1306/1727 "xspc block", 1x 240 1x360 1x480 rads 2 bay res, http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14829772
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-15, 02:56 PM
TalllPaul's Avatar
TalllPaul TalllPaul is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pais Vasco - Spain
Posts: 355
So truckloads of DLC is here to stay then, shortcuts FTW.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-15, 03:22 PM
ImprovizoR's Avatar
ImprovizoR ImprovizoR is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 557
If you know anything about corporations then you that they constantly seek to increase their profits. And EA is run by shortsighted idiots. They already spend more on marketing than they do on development. Now they're gonna spend more on DLC and marketing than they do on core game. Here's what's gonna happen in the next few years.

EA sees these numbers, and they immediately get the idea to sell more DLC. But to do that they need to create the game with all that DLC in mind. That's how it's done these days. But that doesn't mean that they will devote more resources to the game than they've initially planned. It means that they will reduce the budget for the core game and put the rest towards DLC development. It also means that they will increase their focus on microtransactions.

All this means that the core games will contain less and less stuff in order to sell more and more DLC (Battlefront is the first extreme example of this). Gameplay will be tailored to incentivise the use of microtransactions. Eventually people will get sick of it, because EA won't be the only one doing that. And one day soon EA will be forced to shut down another studio that made the game that broke the camel's back. Then EA will continue the cycle again, promising to be better for a few years only to go back to the same old ty anti-consumer practices. Don't believe them.

Save yourself the trouble and just ignore them
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-11-15, 03:24 PM
TPC's Avatar
TPC TPC is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: D:\BW\Stuttgart
Posts: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovizoR View Post
If you know anything about corporations then you that they constantly seek to increase their profits. And EA is run by shortsighted idiots. They already spend more on marketing than they do on development. Now they're gonna spend more on DLC and marketing than they do on core game. Here's what's gonna happen in the next few years.

EA sees these numbers, and they immediately get the idea to sell more DLC. But to do that they need to create the game with all that DLC in mind. That's how it's done these days. But that doesn't mean that they will devote more resources to the game than they've initially planned. It means that they will reduce the budget for the core game and put the rest towards DLC development. It also means that they will increase their focus on microtransactions.

All this means that the core games will contain less and less stuff in order to sell more and more DLC (Battlefront is the first extreme example of this). Gameplay will be tailored to incentivise the use of microtransactions. Eventually people will get sick of it, because EA won't be the only one doing that. And one day soon EA will be forced to shut down another studio that made the game that broke the camel's back. Then EA will continue the cycle again, promising to be better for a few years only to go back to the same old ty anti-consumer practices. Don't believe them.

Save yourself the trouble and just ignore them
And that's why there won't be DLC's in the new NFS. Because they don't listen apperantly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-11-15, 03:29 PM
Legacy-ZA's Avatar
Legacy-ZA Legacy-ZA is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South-Africa
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovizoR View Post

EA sees these numbers, and they immediately get the idea to sell more DLC. But to do that they need to create the game with all that DLC in mind.
More like; they should just stop cutting content from full games and selling them as DLC as they have been doing for years now.

If people would only start taking off their blinders, they would realize where the problem truly is.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-11-15, 03:38 PM
ImprovizoR's Avatar
ImprovizoR ImprovizoR is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPC View Post
And that's why there won't be DLC's in the new NFS. Because they don't listen apparently.
They can't risk it with NFS. It's not a big title that it used to be. Don't worry, if this NFS is a success the next one will have both DLC and microtransactions.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-11-15, 04:54 PM
barnsley's Avatar
barnsley barnsley is offline
born in a.....
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 7,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovizoR View Post
Save yourself the trouble and just ignore them
The same goes for every AAA publisher under the sun then. I don't get the EA hate bandwagon now that every other developer/publisher is going the same way. If anything, the whole traditional "EA sux XDXD" has given certain companies (hi Ubisoft) more freedom to push broken DLC fests. Rockstar is fast becoming a great example of a company who has a good reputation getting away with crap that EA would get slayed for.
__________________
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-11-15, 06:14 PM
shambles1980's Avatar
shambles1980 shambles1980 is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: North wales
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
The same goes for every AAA publisher under the sun then. I don't get the EA hate bandwagon now that every other developer/publisher is going the same way. If anything, the whole traditional "EA sux XDXD" has given certain companies (hi Ubisoft) more freedom to push broken DLC fests. Rockstar is fast becoming a great example of a company who has a good reputation getting away with crap that EA would get slayed for.
Rockstar made my list of "never gonna buy their games again" after GTA 5 online, Ubisoft is almost on the list. and EA made it on the list years ago..

Now EA they publish some really good games. they really do and that is why they made my list so quickly.
They are heart breakers, They make a game i love. i really get in to it we have a community and competitions and tournaments. then ea says Ok thats it thank you And shut down the servers.
the community dissipates and then its gone.
They also absorb companys letting them make games then 1 bad release "because ea forced them to do a game model that the suits wanted to milk more money" and then they dissolve that company. famous devs like bull frog just dissapear in to the eather thanks to ea.
So that is why i hate ea. And why i dont buy or even torrent ea games.
I simply wont play ea games.. that way i wont get hurt lol..

now rockstar.. they made the huge mistake of thinking i like to play with hackers they seems to think i love spending all my time recording and encoding videos to send to them so they can suspend some one for a few days. They also seem to think that there is no need to fix the issue that killed GTA 4 so it couldnt kill GTA 5.
that to me is enough for them to make the list. (again i really liked gta v online, and because they wont do anything to stop it being ruined. then i wont buy their games again)

And ubisoft..
They have managed to get away with it because they dont make games i like, so it does not really offend me when they ruin them.
But they do so many little obnoxious things that drag down pc game standards that they very nearly have made the list..
however because they dont make anything i want to play any way they dont even need to go on the list.. but if they do make a game i like then they ruin it. they will make the list..

I wont even mention konami because really they are on crack or something. and cant be held responsible for their actions (that is the only explanation i have for konami)
__________________
i7 2600, intel dz77sl-50k, 16gb 1600 DDR3, 900d case, gtx 780 @ 1306/1727 "xspc block", 1x 240 1x360 1x480 rads 2 bay res, http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14829772
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.