Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Rants

Old 16-06-21, 01:57 PM
Resident Newb

Thanks peeps, I've smoked cigars in the past but that's like a 2-3 times per year thing at get togethers, Parties etc... You don't breathe in and it's not a habit.

The good news is my cousin has now stopped smoking

Old 16-06-21, 06:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalabur50 View Post
What gets me though is the hypocrisy of everything, over here is Australia our Government has said bad for you so we'll put the price up, but the supermarkets like Coles if I go to the express lane they will ignore you and serve people waiting for cigs and tobacco first, none of them really give a ratsarse about your health it's all about how much they can milk you for!
IDK how your health system works, but trust me when I say people here in the UK are paying for when they need £200k worth of treatment when they inevitably die slowly from smoking.

That is why they put the price up. The profit for the tobacco industry and sellers has not gone up, the taxes on them has. Which in the UK goes to the govt and NHS.

If people realised what healthcare cost they wouldn't complain so much tbh.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 16-06-21, 08:22 PM
OC3D Elite

About 75-80% of the price in the UK is tax,
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: Gigabyte white 2070
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 06-07-21, 04:57 PM
Resident Newb

Was talking with the doctor today, My aunt has also suffered a major stroke recently and as of 2 days ago has gone completely blind due to the stroke, The cancer has also spread to her liver.

I spoke with the doctor at length and she said and I quote -

"While smoking is bad, Really bloody bad and the root cause of most strokes and cancers, We are finding out more and more that alcohol plays a much bigger role in cancer than we previously thought, Based on newer research it's really not that far behind smoking in terms of cancer risk, Especially in females"

She said we should expect her maybe to last 2-3 more months before her body gives out.

With more and more info coming out that ingesting certain things leads to a horrible death you'd think more and more people would wise up and choose to live 2-3 decades longer, But nope, Most humans are Grade-A idiots.
Old 10-07-21, 02:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Was talking with the doctor today, My aunt has also suffered a major stroke recently and as of 2 days ago has gone completely blind due to the stroke, The cancer has also spread to her liver.

"While smoking is bad, Really bloody bad and the root cause of most strokes and cancers, We are finding out more and more that alcohol plays a much bigger role in cancer than we previously thought, Based on newer research it's really not that far behind smoking in terms of cancer risk, Especially in females"

She said we should expect her maybe to last 2-3 more months before her body gives out.

With more and more info coming out that ingesting certain things leads to a horrible death you'd think more and more people would wise up and choose to live 2-3 decades longer, But nope, Most humans are Grade-A idiots.
The problem is that this sort of information doesn't really get out to the general public, not in the way that actually has an impact.

Just look at Covid and the restrictions. In my country they are called "recommendations" when they talk in "restrictions" terms. But due they are just that, recommendations, it means people don't HAVE to follow them and hence they don't. Hence the spread continues and doesn't go down.

People are down right idiots in general in my opinion.
Old 10-07-21, 03:06 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
The problem is that this sort of information doesn't really get out to the general public, not in the way that actually has an impact.

Just look at Covid and the restrictions. In my country they are called "recommendations" when they talk in "restrictions" terms. But due they are just that, recommendations, it means people don't HAVE to follow them and hence they don't. Hence the spread continues and doesn't go down.

People are down right idiots in general in my opinion.
Are people still idiots for not following a perfectly balanced diet even though it's recommended? I don't think so. There's plenty of reasons to not want to do things that are trivial. Doesn't automatically make people idiots. You don't need to do them because it's perfectly feasible to still be healthy by not explicitly following them.

In regards to drugs/alcohol however, I have maybe 1-2 drinks a year(unless special occasion arises) and absolutely no drugs. Can't stand it. To me the money spent on it could be used for something else more important. When people say that's dumb I should have fun, I ask, what makes hurting your body fun instead of doing something actually fun like go on a hike? They say weed doesn't do anything bad nor does vape. Those are the people I consider idiots. Who are blissfully ignorant and would rather stay that way then face the truth because they use drugs and alcohol to suppress real issues in their life. Quite sad really though. Though not everybody is like that. Those that are responsible and acutely aware of their dangers I wouldn't consider idiots.

Sorry to hear about your family Dice. I wish you the best.
Old 10-07-21, 03:21 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

Yes smoking is bad for you and people should quit, something I am going to do when I am ready to.

If you listened to all the "Studies" etc though about what is bad for you, then there would be next to nothing you could eat, or drink or do because it's all "bad" for you.

I remember seeing a few years ago now I think it was, a study that said "Sausages Cause Cancer" and another that said "Don't eat beef, it clogs you stomach and arteries" and there are others such as "Don't eat to much fruit each day, because they rot your teeth and cause digestive issues".

People make choices and no one and I mean no one has the right or permission to tell me or anyone else what they are and are not allowed to consume or do, unless it's something illegal, but even then just because something is illegal doesn't mean it's always bad for you etc.

The problem is people are losing the ability to make rational choices or be allowed to make a choice for themselves, because it's seen as selfish by the wider community.

I don't know if you have seen "The Orville" but there was a episode on that, where everyone had a "Social Score" and the lower it was the worse your life was iirc and iirc if it went below a certain point you were executed, I can see this world going that way in the future because, the "Wider Community" has more say over people's lives than people have themselves.

I mean Smoking is bad for you, we all know that's a given, Alchohol in proportion is not bad for you as such but when over consumed it is, Fruit and Meat is bad for you again but only if over consumed, Working Out by lifting weights, running and swimming etc is bad for you but again only if you over do it.

Should all food/water be rationed to every person on the planet because in "large" amount's it's bad for you?

Should Exercise be restricted to once or twice a week because to "much" is bad for you?

Should no one work because it causes Stress and Stress is bad for you?

How about Travel Restriction's, no going to other countries, no going to towns/cities that are to far because "Travel" is bad for you?

I know you are not calling for that sort of stuff, but the more people live in fear of "What is bad for you" the more well cowardly the world get's, you see it now with "Cannot say or do that because someone might be offended" and no I am not saying people who don't smoke etc are cowards but I am saying that if I didn't eat, drink or do anything that I am told is "bad for me" then I wouldn't leave my house ever or do/eat or drink anything because I would be scared to death of killing myself by doing that.

Yes put out material etc that shows what is bad for you etc and how to limit or stop the risk to yourself, but people have to make there own choices otherwise we might as well all live similar to how they live in North Korea.

Server PC: 2700x, 16GB Corsair DDR4, MSI GTX 1660Ti, Gigabyte 120Gb M.2, Crucial 240Gb SSD, WD Blue 500Gb SSD, 2x Seagate 6Tb HDD's

Old 10-07-21, 04:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Are people still idiots for not following a perfectly balanced diet even though it's recommended? I don't think so.
How you even managed to compare wether why people choose not to eat healthier, to how to follow certain restrictions in order for an deadly virus to not spread and hence not kill people, is beyond me.

What people eat is their own choice - wether or not following certain guidelines to help prevent a deadly virus to spread and potentially kill people is a completely different thing.

Wether they do not follow a healthy diet and being an idiot for it, in my eyes yes, because it doesn't affect me. But if they carry the virus and could potentially infect me and my closed ones, then hell yes they are an idiot for not following the restrictions that are in place.

This is something I thought you of all people would understand to be honest.
Old 10-07-21, 05:05 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien c View Post
Well it's not living in fear it's being intelligent and not slowly poisoning yourself by inhaling burned plant matter mixed with toxic chemicals and then drinking distilled liquids, Smoking/drugs, As smoking is a drug, And alcohol are 2 of the most idiotic acts a human can willingly do to themselves.

What someone does with their body is their business... it just annoys me that people have known for a half century that smoking in the vast majority of people even moderately for long term is a death sentence that leads to a very horrible death usually fighting for air and/or in terrible agony usually 1, 2 or even 3 decades before you're meant to go, In the process causing family members a hell of a lot of grief.

Same with alcohol, People know the dangers of ingesting it and that in general it really is not good for your health yet people throw it down their throats saying "it's no harm" and "oh but it has health benefits this wine companies sponsored research proves it"......

If the human species makes it another few hundred years without a massive calamity it'll be an absolute miracle.
Old 11-07-21, 08:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Well it's not living in fear it's being intelligent and not slowly poisoning yourself by inhaling burned plant matter mixed with toxic chemicals and then drinking distilled liquids, Smoking/drugs, As smoking is a drug, And alcohol are 2 of the most idiotic acts a human can willingly do to themselves.

What someone does with their body is their business... it just annoys me that people have known for a half century that smoking in the vast majority of people even moderately for long term is a death sentence that leads to a very horrible death usually fighting for air and/or in terrible agony usually 1, 2 or even 3 decades before you're meant to go, In the process causing family members a hell of a lot of grief.

Same with alcohol, People know the dangers of ingesting it and that in general it really is not good for your health yet people throw it down their throats saying "it's no harm" and "oh but it has health benefits this wine companies sponsored research proves it"......

If the human species makes it another few hundred years without a massive calamity it'll be an absolute miracle.
Fair point

Server PC: 2700x, 16GB Corsair DDR4, MSI GTX 1660Ti, Gigabyte 120Gb M.2, Crucial 240Gb SSD, WD Blue 500Gb SSD, 2x Seagate 6Tb HDD's