OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   Rants (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Smoking Sucks ! (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=96971)

Dicehunter 12-06-21 04:04 AM

Smoking Sucks !

So today my 75 year old aunt was diagnosed with numerous forms of cancer, So many infact that the doctor was slightly taken back by it -

-Cervical cancer
-Breast cancer
-Lung cancer
-Tongue cancer
-Throat cancer

She started smoking when she was 40, Weird age to start, And has routinely smoked 20 cigarettes per day, 16 years ago I lost my younger aunt to emphysema directly caused by smoking, This should've been a warning to my still living aunt, Was it ? Nope, Kept inhaling that burned plant matter.

My aunts daughter, My cousin, Still smokes, She's 40, Has losing an aunt to smoking and now about to lose her mother to smoking made her wake up ? Nope not 1 iota.

In general my family is long lived, Routinely living to 95+, Minus the few victims of medical malpractice, So those in our family that smoke have willingly decided to cut 20 or more years off their lives.

I've always hated smoking, It stinks, Makes people stink, Ruins your teeth, Destroys collagen in your face which makes you age beyond your years and ultimately kills, Most of the time in horribly painful ways yet people love shortening their lives by multiple decades and dying horribly, People are so stupid.

If anyone here smokes, Please try and stop, It's not fashionable, It doesn't make you look cool and it will shorten your life by multiple decades.

Excalabur50 12-06-21 05:23 AM

I managed to quite years ago best thing I ever did and I was a heavy smoker too, I needed a poultice at the back of my neck to help me draw on them �� and it was easy to give up I did it heaps of times, but in all seriousness it was hard to give up but I found the most important thing was you really have to want to give them up or anything you do is a waste of time.
For those who do still smoke try and quit and seek medical help if you need it to help you kick the habit once and for all as Nicotine is more addictive than Heroin.

Dark NighT 12-06-21 09:12 AM

I smoked for 19 years total, when my mom lost her friend due to smoking and seeing him suffer over the years made me question my own motives and reasons, so i decided to prepare to quit, bought a white nzxt h440 so that i'd stop smoking inside so it doesnt go yellow, which led to less smoking, did that for a while and then when i was mentally ready to go, i quit cold turkey and have been clean for 5 years.

It's a horrible addiction that i regret the most of all my choices in life, losing people to it and seeing people suffer at later age is such a hard thing to see, sorry to hear about your aunt Dice.

Dawelio 12-06-21 07:28 PM

I've recieved so much negativity from colleagues before for being a healthy person, ie I don't smoke, drink at all nor do any sort of tobacco. I am truly happy for it today :)

Kaapstad 13-06-21 12:25 PM

Very sorry to hear about your Aunt.

I have been very anti smoking all my life even as a child in the early 1960s.

One thing that has always been difficult is the amount of negativity that smokers give anyone who don't agree with them.

Warchild 14-06-21 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaapstad (Post 1034143)
Very sorry to hear about your Aunt.

I have been very anti smoking all my life even as a child in the early 1960s.

One thing that has always been difficult is the amount of negativity that smokers give anyone who don't agree with them.

These days that happens with literally anyone who you dont agree with.

Vegan addicts, smokers, vapers, health fanatics, people who binge on junk while sitting on the couch, trump supporters, list goes on...

We have the internet to thank for that.

AlienALX 14-06-21 07:14 PM

It's not the fault of the internet. Or the smokers, vapers, health fanatics and etc. It's the fault of people being selfish. There are ways to enjoy anything you do, without pushing it down the throats of others. But people are so "me me me me" these days that they have vanished into the dark depths of their own assholes.

It doesn't matter where you go, or what you do, there's some idiot who wants to force their opinions and views onto others.

I used to smoke. I did not enjoy it at all. I enjoyed smoking weed (well, cannabis I hated weed). I did not enjoy smoking. It made me sick, I got constant chest infections and toward the end could not even climb a set of stairs.

So why, knowing full well what it was doing to me, did I not pack it in? because nicotine is more addictive than any other drug I have taken. I can take morphine and forget all about it the next day. I have a supply of pure co codamol that is not available anywhere and I use it when I feel like it. Like, when my knees are aching so bad I can barely walk. Then I will take some, but never repeat it. And these are opioids I use at my leisure, and have never had a problem with.

Nicotine though? people know what smoking is doing to them. They can feel it, they can see it. They don't stop. Even when they are dying they carry on, that is how addictive that is. Some will be woken by a scare (family member dying or what not) but most won't. My cousin's dad died of lung cancer about 5 years back, my cousin still smokes like a train.

Me? I switched to vape. I quite enjoy it. Mostly because I can actually breathe now, and do things I could not do when I smoked heavily. However, yet again I am totally addicted to vaping and could not stop. That is how addictive nicotine is.

That said I rarely vape when I am outside unless my anxiety is bad and I will usually sit somewhere away from any one.

Right now I am trying to find that balance between everything in moderation. Eating, riding, getting the f**k out of my prison. And I have been doing well. I have had one day off from riding at least 5 miles a day in the past 10 days and that was because I pulled a calf and had the worst cramp ever :D

Let's face it PCs ain't been much fun of late. Plus I feel good. So there's that !

hmmblah 15-06-21 01:52 PM

Sorry about your aunt, Dice, that really sucks. My father was diagnosed with COPD about 2 years ago. He can't reverse it, but if he stopped smoking he might be able to slow it. Has he stopped or cut back on smoking though?....Nope. He's been smoking since he was a teenager and is in his mid 60s now. My wife's parents are going to be in the same boat.

What really gets me though, is the people who start smoking today. I get that nicotine is highly addictive, but knowing what smoking can do to you, why does anyone start? I guess the same could be said for any drug. For me though it's the smell and the $$$ that keeps me away from smoking.

AlienALX 15-06-21 08:39 PM

Yeah it makes me wonder tbh. Like, I see kids smoking on the beach all the time and I think "WTF? people actually smoke still?".

Excalabur50 15-06-21 09:12 PM

What gets me though is the hypocrisy of everything, over here is Australia our Government has said bad for you so we'll put the price up, but the supermarkets like Coles if I go to the express lane they will ignore you and serve people waiting for cigs and tobacco first, none of them really give a ratsarse about your health it's all about how much they can milk you for!

Dicehunter 16-06-21 01:57 PM

Thanks peeps, I've smoked cigars in the past but that's like a 2-3 times per year thing at get togethers, Parties etc... You don't breathe in and it's not a habit.

The good news is my cousin has now stopped smoking :)

AlienALX 16-06-21 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Excalabur50 (Post 1034213)
What gets me though is the hypocrisy of everything, over here is Australia our Government has said bad for you so we'll put the price up, but the supermarkets like Coles if I go to the express lane they will ignore you and serve people waiting for cigs and tobacco first, none of them really give a ratsarse about your health it's all about how much they can milk you for!

IDK how your health system works, but trust me when I say people here in the UK are paying for when they need 200k worth of treatment when they inevitably die slowly from smoking.

That is why they put the price up. The profit for the tobacco industry and sellers has not gone up, the taxes on them has. Which in the UK goes to the govt and NHS.

If people realised what healthcare cost they wouldn't complain so much tbh.

Greenback 16-06-21 08:22 PM

About 75-80% of the price in the UK is tax,

Dicehunter 06-07-21 04:57 PM

Was talking with the doctor today, My aunt has also suffered a major stroke recently and as of 2 days ago has gone completely blind due to the stroke, The cancer has also spread to her liver.

I spoke with the doctor at length and she said and I quote -

"While smoking is bad, Really bloody bad and the root cause of most strokes and cancers, We are finding out more and more that alcohol plays a much bigger role in cancer than we previously thought, Based on newer research it's really not that far behind smoking in terms of cancer risk, Especially in females"

She said we should expect her maybe to last 2-3 more months before her body gives out.

With more and more info coming out that ingesting certain things leads to a horrible death you'd think more and more people would wise up and choose to live 2-3 decades longer, But nope, Most humans are Grade-A idiots.

Dawelio 10-07-21 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 1034611)
Was talking with the doctor today, My aunt has also suffered a major stroke recently and as of 2 days ago has gone completely blind due to the stroke, The cancer has also spread to her liver.

"While smoking is bad, Really bloody bad and the root cause of most strokes and cancers, We are finding out more and more that alcohol plays a much bigger role in cancer than we previously thought, Based on newer research it's really not that far behind smoking in terms of cancer risk, Especially in females"

She said we should expect her maybe to last 2-3 more months before her body gives out.

With more and more info coming out that ingesting certain things leads to a horrible death you'd think more and more people would wise up and choose to live 2-3 decades longer, But nope, Most humans are Grade-A idiots.

The problem is that this sort of information doesn't really get out to the general public, not in the way that actually has an impact.

Just look at Covid and the restrictions. In my country they are called "recommendations" when they talk in "restrictions" terms. But due they are just that, recommendations, it means people don't HAVE to follow them and hence they don't. Hence the spread continues and doesn't go down.

People are down right idiots in general in my opinion.

NeverBackDown 10-07-21 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawelio (Post 1034669)
The problem is that this sort of information doesn't really get out to the general public, not in the way that actually has an impact.

Just look at Covid and the restrictions. In my country they are called "recommendations" when they talk in "restrictions" terms. But due they are just that, recommendations, it means people don't HAVE to follow them and hence they don't. Hence the spread continues and doesn't go down.

People are down right idiots in general in my opinion.

Are people still idiots for not following a perfectly balanced diet even though it's recommended? I don't think so. There's plenty of reasons to not want to do things that are trivial. Doesn't automatically make people idiots. You don't need to do them because it's perfectly feasible to still be healthy by not explicitly following them.

In regards to drugs/alcohol however, I have maybe 1-2 drinks a year(unless special occasion arises) and absolutely no drugs. Can't stand it. To me the money spent on it could be used for something else more important. When people say that's dumb I should have fun, I ask, what makes hurting your body fun instead of doing something actually fun like go on a hike? They say weed doesn't do anything bad nor does vape. Those are the people I consider idiots. Who are blissfully ignorant and would rather stay that way then face the truth because they use drugs and alcohol to suppress real issues in their life. Quite sad really though. Though not everybody is like that. Those that are responsible and acutely aware of their dangers I wouldn't consider idiots.

Sorry to hear about your family Dice. I wish you the best.

Damien c 10-07-21 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 1034611)

Yes smoking is bad for you and people should quit, something I am going to do when I am ready to.

If you listened to all the "Studies" etc though about what is bad for you, then there would be next to nothing you could eat, or drink or do because it's all "bad" for you.

I remember seeing a few years ago now I think it was, a study that said "Sausages Cause Cancer" and another that said "Don't eat beef, it clogs you stomach and arteries" and there are others such as "Don't eat to much fruit each day, because they rot your teeth and cause digestive issues".

People make choices and no one and I mean no one has the right or permission to tell me or anyone else what they are and are not allowed to consume or do, unless it's something illegal, but even then just because something is illegal doesn't mean it's always bad for you etc.

The problem is people are losing the ability to make rational choices or be allowed to make a choice for themselves, because it's seen as selfish by the wider community.

I don't know if you have seen "The Orville" but there was a episode on that, where everyone had a "Social Score" and the lower it was the worse your life was iirc and iirc if it went below a certain point you were executed, I can see this world going that way in the future because, the "Wider Community" has more say over people's lives than people have themselves.

I mean Smoking is bad for you, we all know that's a given, Alchohol in proportion is not bad for you as such but when over consumed it is, Fruit and Meat is bad for you again but only if over consumed, Working Out by lifting weights, running and swimming etc is bad for you but again only if you over do it.

Should all food/water be rationed to every person on the planet because in "large" amount's it's bad for you?

Should Exercise be restricted to once or twice a week because to "much" is bad for you?

Should no one work because it causes Stress and Stress is bad for you?

How about Travel Restriction's, no going to other countries, no going to towns/cities that are to far because "Travel" is bad for you?

I know you are not calling for that sort of stuff, but the more people live in fear of "What is bad for you" the more well cowardly the world get's, you see it now with "Cannot say or do that because someone might be offended" and no I am not saying people who don't smoke etc are cowards but I am saying that if I didn't eat, drink or do anything that I am told is "bad for me" then I wouldn't leave my house ever or do/eat or drink anything because I would be scared to death of killing myself by doing that.

Yes put out material etc that shows what is bad for you etc and how to limit or stop the risk to yourself, but people have to make there own choices otherwise we might as well all live similar to how they live in North Korea.

Dawelio 10-07-21 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 1034670)
Are people still idiots for not following a perfectly balanced diet even though it's recommended? I don't think so.

How you even managed to compare wether why people choose not to eat healthier, to how to follow certain restrictions in order for an deadly virus to not spread and hence not kill people, is beyond me.

What people eat is their own choice - wether or not following certain guidelines to help prevent a deadly virus to spread and potentially kill people is a completely different thing.

Wether they do not follow a healthy diet and being an idiot for it, in my eyes yes, because it doesn't affect me. But if they carry the virus and could potentially infect me and my closed ones, then hell yes they are an idiot for not following the restrictions that are in place.

This is something I thought you of all people would understand to be honest.

Dicehunter 10-07-21 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien c (Post 1034673)

Well it's not living in fear it's being intelligent and not slowly poisoning yourself by inhaling burned plant matter mixed with toxic chemicals and then drinking distilled liquids, Smoking/drugs, As smoking is a drug, And alcohol are 2 of the most idiotic acts a human can willingly do to themselves.

What someone does with their body is their business... it just annoys me that people have known for a half century that smoking in the vast majority of people even moderately for long term is a death sentence that leads to a very horrible death usually fighting for air and/or in terrible agony usually 1, 2 or even 3 decades before you're meant to go, In the process causing family members a hell of a lot of grief.

Same with alcohol, People know the dangers of ingesting it and that in general it really is not good for your health yet people throw it down their throats saying "it's no harm" and "oh but it has health benefits this wine companies sponsored research proves it"......

If the human species makes it another few hundred years without a massive calamity it'll be an absolute miracle.

Damien c 11-07-21 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 1034676)
Well it's not living in fear it's being intelligent and not slowly poisoning yourself by inhaling burned plant matter mixed with toxic chemicals and then drinking distilled liquids, Smoking/drugs, As smoking is a drug, And alcohol are 2 of the most idiotic acts a human can willingly do to themselves.

What someone does with their body is their business... it just annoys me that people have known for a half century that smoking in the vast majority of people even moderately for long term is a death sentence that leads to a very horrible death usually fighting for air and/or in terrible agony usually 1, 2 or even 3 decades before you're meant to go, In the process causing family members a hell of a lot of grief.

Same with alcohol, People know the dangers of ingesting it and that in general it really is not good for your health yet people throw it down their throats saying "it's no harm" and "oh but it has health benefits this wine companies sponsored research proves it"......

If the human species makes it another few hundred years without a massive calamity it'll be an absolute miracle.

Fair point ;)

Dicehunter 11-07-21 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien c (Post 1034686)
Fair point ;)

Everyone is free to do their own thing, I just find it annoying considering my aunt was a time served fully qualified nurse, She should've known better :(

NeverBackDown 11-07-21 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawelio (Post 1034675)
How you even managed to compare wether why people choose not to eat healthier, to how to follow certain restrictions in order for an deadly virus to not spread and hence not kill people, is beyond me.

What people eat is their own choice - wether or not following certain guidelines to help prevent a deadly virus to spread and potentially kill people is a completely different thing.

Wether they do not follow a healthy diet and being an idiot for it, in my eyes yes, because it doesn't affect me. But if they carry the virus and could potentially infect me and my closed ones, then hell yes they are an idiot for not following the restrictions that are in place.

This is something I thought you of all people would understand to be honest.

Eating unhealthy as recommended can leads to various illnesses and can eventually kill you. Just like a virus can. It's completely comparable. If you disagree that's wrong but whatever, then compare it to the flu. It kills people. It's recommended to get a flu shot. Many people don't. Are they idiots for that? I don't think so. Same principal. Just because you don't like it doesn't automatically make it ok to label all who disagree with you as an idiot. That's immature.

To further answer you, what people eat is their own choice I agree. Yet so is what they do to their bodies, so why does it change when it's a virus? There's a million more deadly things than covid. There's guidelines for so many things that people ignore. Doesn't make them idiots(obviously in situations such as professional work such as electrical you have to unless you want to die immediately).

Just think, if it was a guideline and recommended, means it's perfectly okay to not to. They give a choice. If it was important, they would enforce it. They stopped enforcing it. Pretty reasonable to see it's therefore not as important.

Anyway point is, let them do what they want. Drugs and alcohol are bad for you and you can disagree without being labeled an idiot(or anything in general for that matter).

Damien c 11-07-21 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 1034688)
Everyone is free to do their own thing, I just find it annoying considering my aunt was a time served fully qualified nurse, She should've known better :(

Well just over a week ago I was in hospital because of an Abscess in my upper right leg, very close to the delicate area.

Whilst I was in hospital, I went 2 day's without one, without any cravings etc and even when nurses etc came to me and I could smell it on them I still didn't want/need a smoke.

I got home though and it was like a light switch, within a few hours I was grabbing a pack and lighting one up.

Whilst in hospital though, I was close enough to a window to see out of it, and could see nurses and doctor's going for a smoke all day.

Had one doctor tell me I should stop, and I just replied "So should you" and he laughed.

Dicehunter 11-07-21 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien c (Post 1034690)
Well just over a week ago I was in hospital because of an Abscess in my upper right leg, very close to the delicate area.

Whilst I was in hospital, I went 2 day's without one, without any cravings etc and even when nurses etc came to me and I could smell it on them I still didn't want/need a smoke.

I got home though and it was like a light switch, within a few hours I was grabbing a pack and lighting one up.

Whilst in hospital though, I was close enough to a window to see out of it, and could see nurses and doctor's going for a smoke all day.

Had one doctor tell me I should stop, and I just replied "So should you" and he laughed.

Yeah doctors and nurses are the biggest hypocrites, Both my aunts were nurses, Both smoked like factories, My uncle was a smoker up until last year when he inevitably developed cancer, Luckily he caught it in time.

AlienALX 11-07-21 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 1034688)

Even in your game people abuse themselves dude. Steroids. How many people who are fitness mad put all sorts of e into their bodies? without knowing the effects, long term effects and etc?

There are just as many really terrible pills going around in the fitness community. Tablets loaded with caffeine etc. That is really addictive too, and not good for your heart.

Even athletes have been caught doping. In fact, in Russia it's actually allowed.

Damien has a point tbh. Maybe he is on the extreme side of that point, but it is valid. People do what makes them happy. Or things they enjoy. Some people enjoy smoking. It's a nice way to wind down etc. Bottom line? we are all going to die. Of something. And sometimes that something is totally unrelated to our lifestyle.

I have a cousin. He is 43. He doesn't drink that much and no longer uses weed. He switched to vape for a few years, then went back to smoking. Two weeks ago he had a massive heart attack. So bad it damaged his heart. He's not fat, he's not even remotely overweight and he is very fit (builder by trade). Turns out he had bad veins near his heart that caused a clot. Nothing to do with smoking believe it or not. Yet, he was still smoking before that even though his father died of lung cancer a few years ago.

I don't drink. I haven't in 20 years. Mostly because of the brain pills I am on, combined with the benzos I take to sleep. I know the dangers. Take a benzo, drink alcohol, stop breathing in your sleep. Or, some of the pills I have been on have been bad for your liver, so lots of drinking water (and peeing) and absolutely no alcohol. At all.

It hasn't been a big loss. In fact, I don't miss waking up suicidal after being drunk. At all. Those were probably my most dangerous moments, other than the two big overdoses I have taken.

That said Damien? you need to look after yourself a bit better mate. All I could really do was switch to vaping and keep active. There is no way in hell (especially because nicotine is really very good for depression and those who lack serotonin !) I was ever going to be able to stop smoking otherwise.

That now is the only real risk I take. However, I know my body and I know what it was like when I smoked compared to now. It's not even the same solar system, let alone planet.

Damien c 11-07-21 05:54 PM

I did vape for a few years but after it caused me to develop pneumonia multiple times, and finding out I am allergic to the only flavours of liquid I could vape, it stopped me being able to vape.

I am overweight, smoke and basically don't do any exercise, but other than getting out of breath easily which has been attributed to the damage to my lungs because of the pneumonia, Doctor's have said I am otherwise healthy other than my weight, because my blood pressure is good, I am not diabetic etc etc, the ones I have seen are suprised at how I am considering everything.

The Abscess was caused by a ingrown hair, something I suffer from all over, there is nothing I can do to stop it, other than have something to get rid of all hair on my body and stop it growing back.

I will be getting things sorted out, but I am concentrating on paying debt's off at the moment, because I don't want to put to much pressure on myself trying to do to much at once.

Dicehunter 11-07-21 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienALX (Post 1034695)
Even in your game people abuse themselves dude. Steroids. How many people who are fitness mad put all sorts of e into their bodies? without knowing the effects, long term effects and etc?

There are just as many really terrible pills going around in the fitness community. Tablets loaded with caffeine etc. That is really addictive too, and not good for your heart.

Even athletes have been caught doping. In fact, in Russia it's actually allowed.

Yep but I don't consider any of these types of people truly into health and fitness as it's just not a healthy practise, Steroids have decades worth of research that show they do tremendous amounts of damage to the heart, Liver and kidneys in the longterm.

Then there's the various stimulants on the market which are sold as pre-workout, They are bloody horrible, A lot can cause a serious crash in serotonin levels, Heart palpitations, Overdose on caffeine etc... it's pretty horrendous what's on the market.

The only supplements I recommend to my clients are a good plain whey isolate which is just a dairy bi-product, A good multi vitamin and if they are lactose intolerant then a pea-protein powder which is one of the cleanest proteins you can ingest, Meanwhile many many other PT's are recommending so many chemical laden shakes, Pre-workouts, Powders etc... I find it disgusting, Food should be the number 1 source of macro and micro nutrients, Supplements are just there to fill the gaps and the supplements should be as close to the source as possible i.e made from whole foods.

/rant ^_^

Warchild 12-07-21 07:40 AM

You are all right, people can do what they want with their bodies. We cannot force them to stop smoking, stop steroids, over eating on junk etc.

My only issue with smoking and vaping is the fact that it is not limited to just the smoker/vaper. I'm so sick and tired of having to inhale secondary smoke from people in public or from friends at social gatherings.

Luckily almost all that is banned in Norway when it comes to public seated areas, but when I go back to the UK, its pretty much the one thing I hate having to experience over again. Lost my dad to smoking and bad heart, lost my cousin from secondary smoke inhalation as my uncle was a chain smoker. He is now in severe depression due to the realisation his smoking caused someone else's death, and the depression prevents him from quitting.

NeverBackDown 12-07-21 06:46 PM

Just talked to a coworker. His ex girlfriend used to vape. It bothered him but he cared deeply about her so they compromised on when she would so do it. They both were starting to really care for one another and she eventually asked him to help her with her vaping "problem". According to him it was more like an addiction. All the classic signs of a normal cigarette smoker addict. Once she realized he was helping her get rid of it, she went off on him. Even though she asked him for help. Basically once she subconsciously became aware of the fear of losing it (because he was helping her out and clear her head) the drug took hold and her addiction meant more to her than he did. So she left him and eventually apologized saying she was wrong and she just needs to work through it herself. Months later still vaping 24/7.

Quite sad to hear this thing which is hardly regulated in the US is now allowing 18 year olds (and probably younger too) become addicted. All because they successfully market the product as "completely safe and a perfect healthy alternative to cigarettes". Which is completely false.

So ya Dice, smoking sucks!

Warchild 13-07-21 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 1034716)
Just talked to a coworker. His ex girlfriend used to vape. It bothered him but he cared deeply about her so they compromised on when she would so do it. They both were starting to really care for one another and she eventually asked him to help her with her vaping "problem". According to him it was more like an addiction. All the classic signs of a normal cigarette smoker addict. Once she realized he was helping her get rid of it, she went off on him. Even though she asked him for help. Basically once she subconsciously became aware of the fear of losing it (because he was helping her out and clear her head) the drug took hold and her addiction meant more to her than he did. So she left him and eventually apologized saying she was wrong and she just needs to work through it herself. Months later still vaping 24/7.

Quite sad to hear this thing which is hardly regulated in the US is now allowing 18 year olds (and probably younger too) become addicted. All because they successfully market the product as "completely safe and a perfect healthy alternative to cigarettes". Which is completely false.

So ya Dice, smoking sucks!

My dad had smoked since he was 10 because back in the 50s they said smoking was actually healthy for you with certain brands.

https://www.adweek.com/wp-content/up...-2015.jpg.webp

Dicehunter 13-07-21 08:13 AM

Well my aunt died yesterday morning but I only found out about it early this morning, At 76 years of age, Young considering my family routinely lives to 95 when not voluntarily poisoning ourselves.

Her daughter has not stopped smoking or stopped drinking and I doubt she will quit any time soon even though it has claimed a total of 4 family members now.

Dark NighT 13-07-21 10:18 AM

Sorry to hear this Dice... my condolences

Dicehunter 13-07-21 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark NighT (Post 1034729)
Sorry to hear this Dice... my condolences

Appreciated, We were all warning her for the better part of 3 decades, There's only so much you can do sadly.

AlienALX 13-07-21 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicehunter (Post 1034734)
Appreciated, We were all warning her for the better part of 3 decades, There's only so much you can do sadly.

76 is still a ripe age dude. My dad died at 35 and was a party smoker (IE he smoked at the weekends, maybe 10 the whole weekend).

Some people don't want to live to 90 odd either. Looking at my mother in her 70s? well she can barely move, barely walk, has all sorts of other issues etc etc. Sod that. To me? I don't enjoy life enough to make all that worth it.

Everything is the same as everything. Moderation. Only we are not programmed that way, or, very few of us are.

As for vaping? The only thing it has in common with smoking is nicotine. Other than that it is completely different.

Now I agree that I hate public smoking. It absolutely stinks. At the end of the day here (I live opposite a pub at mum's place) my bedroom stinks like an ash tray. Vaping however? does not do that, given it is vapour and not actually burning smoke.

And yes, vaping with nicotine is highly addictive and should not be pushed anywhere or advertised anywhere. Just like smoking.

However, the day that stops happening? will be the day they stop advertising alcohol and filling supermarkets with it. IE, the 12th day of never. There's simply too much money in it.

Society tells us to consume. No matter what it is, they want us doing it to extremes. Watching videos on YT for the ad revenue, staring at our phones for ad revenue and control etc etc. All of those things are just as bad for you as anything else in life. Once again, it all comes down to moderation. Only no chance. We are not told that, and we are not raised that way. Consume consume consume. No matter what, do it in high volume and make the most revenue. Smoking, vaping, drinking, watching TV, eating, snacking, etc etc.

And the problem is as humans where we mostly love doing things to extremes? well, that is what ends up happening.

Damien c 13-07-21 03:25 PM

Sorry for your loss Dice.

Dicehunter 13-07-21 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienALX (Post 1034742)
76 is still a ripe age dude. My dad died at 35 and was a party smoker (IE he smoked at the weekends, maybe 10 the whole weekend).

Some people don't want to live to 90 odd either. Looking at my mother in her 70s? well she can barely move, barely walk, has all sorts of other issues etc etc. Sod that. To me? I don't enjoy life enough to make all that worth it.

Everything is the same as everything. Moderation. Only we are not programmed that way, or, very few of us are.

As for vaping? The only thing it has in common with smoking is nicotine. Other than that it is completely different.

Now I agree that I hate public smoking. It absolutely stinks. At the end of the day here (I live opposite a pub at mum's place) my bedroom stinks like an ash tray. Vaping however? does not do that, given it is vapour and not actually burning smoke.

And yes, vaping with nicotine is highly addictive and should not be pushed anywhere or advertised anywhere. Just like smoking.

However, the day that stops happening? will be the day they stop advertising alcohol and filling supermarkets with it. IE, the 12th day of never. There's simply too much money in it.

Society tells us to consume. No matter what it is, they want us doing it to extremes. Watching videos on YT for the ad revenue, staring at our phones for ad revenue and control etc etc. All of those things are just as bad for you as anything else in life. Once again, it all comes down to moderation. Only no chance. We are not told that, and we are not raised that way. Consume consume consume. No matter what, do it in high volume and make the most revenue. Smoking, vaping, drinking, watching TV, eating, snacking, etc etc.

And the problem is as humans where we mostly love doing things to extremes? well, that is what ends up happening.

In todays world I wouldn't say 76 is old old, Maybe if you've abused your body, Worked 6 day weeks doing hard labour, Eaten crap and pumped your body full of poison for decades then yeah I suppose for that type of person 76 is old but my family routinely lives to early to mid 90's, We have exceptionally good diets, Apart from both my aunts, And 2 other family members, Who veered from the family norm and decided to emulate Victorian chimneys.

Plus we do not look our age, My dad is 75 and he looks and moves like he's in his 50's, Diet, Supplementation, Regular exercise and skin care routine, All things I have set up for the majority of my family that actually want to utilise my qualifications ^_^ My aunt before she died of smoking looked in her 50's albeit very tired due to the cancer, I look in my early 20's but I'm 35, We have decent genes in that regard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien c (Post 1034743)
Sorry for your loss Dice.

Appreciated :)

NeverBackDown 13-07-21 10:20 PM

Sorry to hear about that bud. Hope you're doing good.

Dicehunter 13-07-21 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverBackDown (Post 1034750)
Sorry to hear about that bud. Hope you're doing good.

Appreciated but I'm fine, It's been coming for a loooooonnnngggg time so it's not a shock, I'm sad yes but this was inevitable with the amount she smoked.

hmmblah 14-07-21 01:40 PM

Sorry for your loss, Dice. It's so sad other family members can't/won't learn from their elders' mistakes.