Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 31-05-13, 10:22 AM
OC3D Elite

[Project Log] Red Black Redemption

So, as promised to Feronix, here is my current project, hope i'll kill some of your time. I'll try to keep the info as short as possible and upload a ton of pictures, I know you love pictures

So this is a mod of an old oem case I had laying around, it was originally beige, then for some odd reason i painted it blue and gold as you'll see after I sand it down, and then was painted black but the paint job was really horrible and it felt like sandpaper, so here I am trying to make it look sexy all over again.

Note: This is just a case mod and no hardware will use it as a habitat For now atleast.

Main goals in this mod :

Improve cooling - Done
Sand and paint the Interior - Done (will be matte black)
Cut a side panel window - Done
Sand and paint the exterior - Pending (will be enamel red)

I am still waiting for a couple of switches to come from abroad and for someone to sell me an internal usb hub (there is a wanted thread in FS&W) to be able to complete the external paint job as I found that if I paint parts in different conditions (like temperature), the colour may differ so I need to paint them all at once.

Here is how it looked before I started this mod, I have no pictures of how it was originally or after the first paint job, sorry.

The hard drive cage and the power and reset switches painted.

This was the paintjob before I started this mod.

cut the front 80mm fan, not perfect but this was my first try.

Planning the layout for the window.

This is how the interior looked before painting.

Before cutting the bottom 120mm fan.

and after.

The first coat of the interior. ahh a sigh of relief.

A piece of plexi to fill the 4 optical bays, took its fair share of time to make it as perfect as I possibly can.

and the first bump in the road hit me ! the side window plexi cracked while i was buffing the edges.

the interior got its 2nd coat of black spray and is now hanging out in the sun.

beautiful day here in Malta.

sanded down the side panels/ top, they are a single piece. here you can see the first paintjob pretty clearly.

took a break from modding and did 2 sets of 10 reps dips, and yeah thats me

the front panel sanded and ready for paint.

and the first coat of primer goes on. not perfect but will be fixed.

sanded down the imperfections.

and sprayed it again, much better now.

managed to get another piece of plexi, cut it down to size, buffed it and its nice and shiny, the sides arent perfect but I cut it 1/2 inch larger than what I needed.

The real challenge starts. cutting the side window, it needs to be as perfect as I can get it as I am trying to avoid using u-channel.

initial cut is done, this part is fairly easy :P

and then I had to file it down took me more than 2 hours and my hands are still shaking more than 4 hours after. But, atleast I'm pleased with the results

cleaned and ready for the next stage.

Please leave you thoughts and/or suggestions, even negative ones, this is more of a learning journey for me.

maniac out.

Old 31-05-13, 11:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Yay, thanks so much!

Looking good so far! Are you going to change anything to the interior of the case, like changing the place where the PSU goes or something?

Thanks for doing this mate, did not expect it. It's proper log too!

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 31-05-13, 12:34 PM
too many shrooms

i actually really like the weathered look of your case for some reason
Old 31-05-13, 01:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
Looking good so far! Are you going to change anything to the interior of the case, like changing the place where the PSU goes or something?
Nothing that is planned apart from the two extra fans for a total of 2 x 80mm in the bottom front and 1 x 120mm in the bottom.

the changing of the placement of the psu would leave me with a huge whole in the roof apart from the psu mounting piece which is not as easily covered as the psu mounting plate is not aligned with the roof, hence the hole.

I didn't cut any cable managment holes as the motherboard tray is so close to the side panel, it's near impossible to pass cables through. I also didn't do a fan on the back panel as it is kind of layered and I don't think cutting an 80mm/120mm whole wouldnt look right.

If you have any ideas, please feel free to share them, who knows I might like them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp View Post
i actually really like the weathered look of your case for some reason
If the base layer was beige I might have left it as is, but too much blue is showing and it gets rusty where the steel is exposed.

Old 31-05-13, 02:15 PM
OC3D Elite

Just being crazy here, but....

- What about a 180/200mm fan in the front and then modding the front cover to allow more airflow?
- Make it so that you can screw a rad in the top and make a cut-out on the top panel and put some mesh on there?
- Find a way to mount the PSU in the optical bay cages?

Don't know if you like these ideas and/or if they are possible, but that's what I would try

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 31-05-13, 02:28 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Just being crazy here, but....

- What about a 180/200mm fan in the front and then modding the front cover to allow more airflow?
- Make it so that you can screw a rad in the top and make a cut-out on the top panel and put some mesh on there?
- Find a way to mount the PSU in the optical bay cages?

Don't know if you like these ideas and/or if they are possible, but that's what I would try
I really appreciate your input, but here are the reasons why i can't do any of those,

- the case is 20cm wide from side to side so a 200mm is out of the question. If i chopped up the front for a 180mm I would lose the hard drive cage and the mounting spots for the leds and front panel switches,

- I really liked this one but due to the shape of the top, those 3 dome-shape pieces, its hard to mount anything really. apart from the fact that i only have 220mm of metal on the top, If i cut this piece it would severely affect the structure of the case itself.

-Not really a fan of this one so I won't even try it

Old 31-05-13, 02:53 PM
OC3D Elite

Awh, that's a shame

Still an interesting log though! Can't wait to read more.... literally

Old 31-05-13, 03:38 PM
OC3D Elite

I am currently brainstorming with myself on what I can possibly attach to this to make it look more custom instead of blank, the only 2 things that came to me are a mesh on top of the plexi for a textured finish or the blades of a 120mm fan stuck in the middle. any suggestions?

Old 31-05-13, 04:00 PM
OC3D Elite

Just sticking some random fan blades to it would look silly imo

Cutting into it is a no-go?

Old 31-05-13, 04:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Just sticking some random fan blades to it would look silly imo

Cutting into it is a no-go?
I know it'll look silly but i just take all possible options and then i choose the best one.

well, depends on the cut. I spent about half an hour filing that plexi down to make it fit snug and i really really dont wanna ruin it, maybe if its a couple of holes i might try it but no complex designs

Tags
case mod old oem