Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 08-06-13, 02:48 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObscureParadox View Post
Depends what you really mean by that.

Single threaded performance still wouldn't be equal to that of a 3570K, but the multi-threaded performance would be much greater.

So it sorta depends what you mean by it being equal to a 3570K.
Twas just a little joke

Old 08-06-13, 02:53 PM
OC3D Elite

5GHz, anyone got any idea what they will put in the box for a cooler? or will they do it like 2011 and put no cooler in at all? cooling 5GHz is quite the challenge.
Old 08-06-13, 02:55 PM
OC3D Elite

@Zoot

Bribe indeed wasn't the proper word, I just couldn't come up with one that would describe it better.

It's just like Intel is this happy family that buys a new car every year. Every year, they buy one that's a bit quicker than the previous and has some extra convenient features like cruise control or air conditioning.

Then there's their neighbour, Mr AMD. He own a somewhat older car but he keeps tweaking and tuning the engine to make it a bit quicker every year but in the end, it's still an old, not very luxurious car. It works, and it's quick though.

That's kind of how I see it xD

Of course I understand that AMD can't just do away with everything they have now and start from scratch, but to me personally, they just don't even seem to be bothered. (Serious question inbound) Do they even have a small team that tries to create new things while the main part of the business is focussing on producing what they have now?

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 08-06-13, 03:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Lets not forget that these are not Steamroller and are still Piledriver. AMD might have not made any changes architecture wise with this FX9000 and FX8770 but they don't really need to seen as current Piledriver are around the same "real world" performance wise as Intel.

Steamroller is their next new architecture these are just filling the gaps until it arrives.
NZXT Switch 810 - Ryzeny 3600 - Gigabyte X570 Gaming - 32GB Corsair Platinum SE - MSI Gaming 1070 - Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB HDD - Corsair H100 - Corsair RM1000i SE - Asus VE247H

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 08-06-13, 03:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
It's just like Intel is this happy family that buys a new car every year. Every year, they buy one that's a bit quicker than the previous and has some extra convenient features like cruise control or air conditioning.

Then there's their neighbour, Mr AMD. He own a somewhat older car but he keeps tweaking and tuning the engine to make it a bit quicker every year but in the end, it's still an old, not very luxurious car. It works, and it's quick though.

Replace "Intel" with "nVidia" and it's not a bad analogy when it comes to the GPU world as it is now anyway. The 7000 series is probably getting a little long in the tooth now, but it's still got life left in it yet.

Although, AMD used to own nVidia in the past. I remember when the 4870 launched it beat the GTX 200 series despite being massively cheaper, nVidia had a serious amount of price slashing to do back then. Back before that nVidia's 8800 series was king.

If you wanted to make the analogy more Intel-like, that family would be millionaires in comparison to AMD being upper middle-class.

Quote:
Do they even have a small team that tries to create new things while the main part of the business is focussing on producing what they have now?
Every company is different, the only way you'd probably find that out is if you take a job with AMD.

Old 08-06-13, 03:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Haha true! At least you know what I was trying to make clear
And competition is always cool! I really don't understand fanboys that bash the other company, but oh well...

And no, I'll have to pass on that! Might apply for a job in a computer store nearby though

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 08-06-13, 03:26 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
@Zoot

So us AMD lads are the nutters in the saxos, and the FX-9000 is our 2000hp dodge charger..?
I can live with that.
[OFFICIAL] OC3D Overclockers Club Member [#025]
Old 08-06-13, 03:27 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeInspire View Post
So us AMD lads are the nutters in the saxos, and the FX-9000 is our 2000hp dodge charger..?
I can live with that.
Never said it was a bad thing
Fanatics with a budget is where great ideas come from.

Old 08-06-13, 03:28 PM
OC3D Elite

If I remember correctly the ol'8350 at 4.8GHz wasn't up to par with a 3770K at lower clocks, and that was with the benchmarks being heavily multi threaded.
The Richland stuff I recently tested was a similar story - higher clockspeeds of an architecture that simply isn't up to date with Intel, higher power consumption, worse memory controllers and a whole shedload of heat. Comparing stock for stock, the AMD stuff may very well pull ahead of their counterparts in some benchmarks, but as soon as you let Intel open up the clocks too?

This is gonna have to come in at a real nice price point to get people interested, me feels.
Let's hope Steamroller brings some fresh meat to the table
Old 08-06-13, 03:35 PM
News Guru

i really hope amd does better in the cpu arena soon, bulldozer isn't a bad architecture but it needs some refinement.
i plan to upgrade my 1090t to a steamroller based cpu when they are released.
i hope there is that 30% improvement the amd suggest as that would make it have around 2500k speeds core to core, which would be awesome