Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 24-04-12, 03:24 PM
OC3D Elite

It's certainly do-able. Didn't spend anytime looking at monitors, just picked one. Afaic at that price they much the same. Stuck in a case to represent the one you'll get off ebay. (personally I have no time for cases and would have bought a £15 one to get more kit). No storage space, but you can't tell me you haven't got a regular hard drive laying around that you can use

Anywho, 580 gaming and a cpu cooler to allow the MASSIVE overclock you'll put on it ! Asrock z68 mobos are easy to use. Couldn't see the Ex7 at Scan mind.

Not a recommendation, just fancied playing with your money at Scan whilst it rains outside. Oh for the extra £3+, look on their Today Only for a cheaper monitor or whatever.

Old 24-04-12, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlowr4 View Post

Yep. For a pure gaming rig, 8 is fine.

So, bone chewer, thinking of getting around to answering the questions I asked any time soon? Not a lot of help will come your way if you don't provide good info...
I did i changed the post at the top
Old 24-04-12, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastalovich View Post

It's certainly do-able. Didn't spend anytime looking at monitors, just picked one. Afaic at that price they much the same. Stuck in a case to represent the one you'll get off ebay. (personally I have no time for cases and would have bought a £15 one to get more kit). No storage space, but you can't tell me you haven't got a regular hard drive laying around that you can use

Anywho, 580 gaming and a cpu cooler to allow the MASSIVE overclock you'll put on it ! Asrock z68 mobos are easy to use. Couldn't see the Ex7 at Scan mind.

Not a recommendation, just fancied playing with your money at Scan whilst it rains outside. Oh for the extra £3+, look on their Today Only for a cheaper monitor or whatever.
Yeah its nice but the other one had a hdd and i cant sacrifice any storage on my laptop so its kinda essential. I'll see what its safe getting second hand and see how much extra money i have then to get a better gpu
Old 25-04-12, 05:07 AM
OC3D Elite

IMO you should scrap the SSD and just get a 500gb-1tb mechanical drive in something like rastalovich's build, the ssd will do nothing other than let the pc boot up 10-20 seconds faster when you sit down to play a game and whats that as apposed to being able to play the game as a higher quality..

Even if someone GAVE me a top of the line ssd i wouldnt use it in my main system because at the moment they are STILL to unreliable for me, they degrade to annoyingly slow speeds with not much effort annoyingly quickly in some cases.
-Need to fit-
Xspc Rasa | Phobya G-Changer 240 + 360 | Phobya dc12-400 | 7x Orange Xigmatek XLF 120mm
| Alphacool Copper fittings

Old 25-04-12, 10:31 AM
OC3D Elite

Good call.

If I spent £1k on kit for someone wanting a gaming rig, the starting point has to be the gpu. I spec'd it with a 680 to start with, but found myself buying 775 gear. And although it would play games faster than anything anyone else would suggest, it has no future.

Old 25-04-12, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Good call.

If I spent £1k on kit for someone wanting a gaming rig, the starting point has to be the gpu. I spec'd it with a 680 to start with, but found myself buying 775 gear. And although it would play games faster than anything anyone else would suggest, it has no future.
You high? A 680 is half my budget if i got a really everything else its do able but its gonna have serious bottlenecks and the psu would break after a few weeks and i would have to buy it all over again. If a 660 comes out by mid-june ill get one of them but i doubt that will happen
Old 25-04-12, 07:21 PM
OC3D Elite

No it wouldn't. I wouldn't be dumb enough to build a rig that would.

Think about it.

EDIT: To get the 680 from the pic I uploaded, I need to make £145 from the rest of the gear. I exchange your £60 case for a £15, that's £45. Since you like ebay, I seen a Q9650 for £155 - kinda equates the i5 price - so ok with funds there. I get a £35 775 matx mobo off Aria (or anyone really, Amazon - whatever)... I need to find £65... 2x2GB DDR2 from anywhere for £48 (you only "need" 4g) ... I need £60 now. Heck I'll give up the Noctua.

So.. I'll have a Q9650 w/4g and a 680. It won't artificially bench as good as a 680 with a new mobo setup, but for a new mobo setup and settling for a 580 - the 680 rig WILL play games better. The rig won't arguably look as nice with it's £15 case, but it WILL play games better.

Key words here are artificial-benchmarks and real life gaming.

.. I should charge for this. Oh wait.

Old 25-04-12, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Think about it.
Yup, unless you get like multiple really high end GPU's then you MIGHT bottlneck but it's doubtfull.

I7 3930k

Asus Rampage IV extreme

Asus GTX 690

16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz

Corsair H80

XFX 850W XXX Edition

Aerocool Xpredator Black Edition Case
Old 25-04-12, 08:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneHalf View Post

Yup, unless you get like multiple really high end GPU's then you MIGHT bottlneck but it's doubtfull.
... see above.

Old 25-04-12, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Think about it.

EDIT: To get the 680 from the pic I uploaded, I need to make £145 from the rest of the gear. I exchange your £60 case for a £15, that's £45. Since you like ebay, I seen a Q9650 for £155 - kinda equates the i5 price - so ok with funds there. I get a £35 775 matx mobo off Aria (or anyone really, Amazon - whatever)... I need to find £65... 2x2GB DDR2 from anywhere for £48 (you only "need" 4g) ... I need £60 now. Heck I'll give up the Noctua.

So.. I'll have a Q9650 w/4g and a 680. It won't artificially bench as good as a 680 with a new mobo setup, but for a new mobo setup and settling for a 580 - the 680 rig WILL play games better. The rig won't arguably look as nice with it's £15 case, but it WILL play games better.

Key words here are artificial-benchmarks and real life gaming.

.. I should charge for this. Oh wait.
I wouldnt buy anything from ebay. I guess i could do that but i would prefer a nicer case and a 570/560ti over a crap case and a 680.