Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 03-01-14, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snortan View Post
Now what I'm curious about is, he said that the human ears can only hear up to roughly 20Khz and anything beyond that you can't hear it. Is this the same thing as with the human eye can't see past 24/30fps yet a game running at 60+fps is clearly better/smoother?
like i said i have a realy good hearing i had it tested and i can hear quite a bit under and above ( 20hz - 20khz ). We do "hear" under 20hz but our brain just filters and ignore large amounts of this (don't know about above 20khz). imo this (sounds under 20hz) is what makes sounds sound natural, as if you were there.
I know this might seems bs to some people

=> it's like you stated in my opinion

Old 03-01-14, 04:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Now what I'm curious about is, he said that the human ears can only hear up to roughly 20Khz and anything beyond that you can't hear it. Is this the same thing as with the human eye can't see past 24/30fps yet a game running at 60+fps is clearly better/smoother?
Please dont derail the topic.

There are many google posts that attempt/succeed/fail at debunking that myth.

I purchased the essence one recently and returned it. NOT because it is bad. On the contrary the sound was fantastic. I just hated seeing peripherals and external equipment. I like stealth with everything hidden away in the case with no cables etc showing on the desk.

Couldn't justify the price being worth it considering I already own and remain using the STX.
Old 03-01-14, 04:30 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Please don't derail the topic.

There are many google posts that attempt/succeed/fail at debunking that myth.
How am I derailing the topic? It's a genuine question after seeing their latest video...
Old 03-01-14, 05:11 PM

Quote:
How am I derailing the topic? It's a genuine question after seeing their latest video...
Was my answer on your question what you wanted to hear or did you want a scientific answer ( i can do that if you want).
Old 03-01-14, 06:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir-Weasel View Post
Was my answer on your question what you wanted to hear or did you want a scientific answer ( i can do that if you want).
A scientific answer would be nice
Old 03-01-14, 06:30 PM
OC3D Elite

I love it when people say their is no difference between 512bit/320bit FLAC and 128bit MP3. Just because THEY cannot here it does not mean others cannot. This is what separates a true audiophile from the rest. With my Audio Technicas and my STX I can hear a VERY clear difference between most MP3 and FLAC. I can also tell the difference between a digital AMP designed to sound like a tube and a real tube.
Old 03-01-14, 08:09 PM
OC3D Crew

I got a Xonar Essence STX for $90 CAD.

I use it for its AMP, Please enlighten me as to why it sucks?

@ king of sand

It depends on the quality of the MP3..

I only grab FLAC to ensure I have high quality audio files.
Old 03-01-14, 10:05 PM

lol so just did the blind test........ and i could tell a differnce (tho only because i focusing on it if i was doing anything else at the time which i would be) the only problem is and most likely due to ignorance i thought sample 2 was the better sounding :S

i think the main point i get from the video is ...... if you dont know enough about sound and sound tech (or a audiophile if you prefer) you wont need a sound card.

if you do care enough about sound then more than likely you will already have made your mind up about it
Old 03-01-14, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING_OF_SAND View Post
I love it when people say their is no difference between 512bit/320bit FLAC and 128bit MP3.
ofc there is. so does 320 mp3 vs 128 mp3. they are talking about 320bit mp3.which do sound good
Old 03-01-14, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING_OF_SAND View Post
I love it when people say their is no difference between 512bit/320bit FLAC and 128bit MP3. Just because THEY cannot here it does not mean others cannot. This is what separates a true audiophile from the rest. With my Audio Technicas and my STX I can hear a VERY clear difference between most MP3 and FLAC. I can also tell the difference between a digital AMP designed to sound like a tube and a real tube.
They didn't say that in the video. They compared "lossless flac" with "320kbit/s mp3s". I don't think anybody in their right mind would claim 128kbit/s mp3s can compete with flac.
The one thing I can contribute is, that I did a hands on comparison of a xonar ds and the onboard on my gigabyte z87 ud4h with audio technica m50 headphones.I went back and forth a couple of times and I could not hear a notable difference. Source was a CD. Yes I'm old school.