Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat > Rants

Old 13-07-21, 08:13 AM
Resident Newb

Well my aunt died yesterday morning but I only found out about it early this morning, At 76 years of age, Young considering my family routinely lives to 95 when not voluntarily poisoning ourselves.

Her daughter has not stopped smoking or stopped drinking and I doubt she will quit any time soon even though it has claimed a total of 4 family members now.

Old 13-07-21, 10:18 AM
OC3D Elite

Sorry to hear this Dice... my condolences
Old 13-07-21, 01:10 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark NighT View Post
Sorry to hear this Dice... my condolences

Appreciated, We were all warning her for the better part of 3 decades, There's only so much you can do sadly.
Old 13-07-21, 03:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Appreciated, We were all warning her for the better part of 3 decades, There's only so much you can do sadly.
76 is still a ripe age dude. My dad died at 35 and was a party smoker (IE he smoked at the weekends, maybe 10 the whole weekend).

Some people don't want to live to 90 odd either. Looking at my mother in her 70s? well she can barely move, barely walk, has all sorts of other issues etc etc. Sod that. To me? I don't enjoy life enough to make all that worth it.

Everything is the same as everything. Moderation. Only we are not programmed that way, or, very few of us are.

As for vaping? The only thing it has in common with smoking is nicotine. Other than that it is completely different.

Now I agree that I hate public smoking. It absolutely stinks. At the end of the day here (I live opposite a pub at mum's place) my bedroom stinks like an ash tray. Vaping however? does not do that, given it is vapour and not actually burning smoke.

And yes, vaping with nicotine is highly addictive and should not be pushed anywhere or advertised anywhere. Just like smoking.

However, the day that stops happening? will be the day they stop advertising alcohol and filling supermarkets with it. IE, the 12th day of never. There's simply too much money in it.

Society tells us to consume. No matter what it is, they want us doing it to extremes. Watching videos on YT for the ad revenue, staring at our phones for ad revenue and control etc etc. All of those things are just as bad for you as anything else in life. Once again, it all comes down to moderation. Only no chance. We are not told that, and we are not raised that way. Consume consume consume. No matter what, do it in high volume and make the most revenue. Smoking, vaping, drinking, watching TV, eating, snacking, etc etc.

And the problem is as humans where we mostly love doing things to extremes? well, that is what ends up happening.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 13-07-21, 03:25 PM
OC3D Elite

Sorry for your loss Dice.

Server PC: 2700x, 16GB Corsair DDR4, MSI GTX 1660Ti, Gigabyte 120Gb M.2, Crucial 240Gb SSD, WD Blue 500Gb SSD, 2x Seagate 6Tb HDD's

Old 13-07-21, 07:51 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
76 is still a ripe age dude. My dad died at 35 and was a party smoker (IE he smoked at the weekends, maybe 10 the whole weekend).

Some people don't want to live to 90 odd either. Looking at my mother in her 70s? well she can barely move, barely walk, has all sorts of other issues etc etc. Sod that. To me? I don't enjoy life enough to make all that worth it.

Everything is the same as everything. Moderation. Only we are not programmed that way, or, very few of us are.

As for vaping? The only thing it has in common with smoking is nicotine. Other than that it is completely different.

Now I agree that I hate public smoking. It absolutely stinks. At the end of the day here (I live opposite a pub at mum's place) my bedroom stinks like an ash tray. Vaping however? does not do that, given it is vapour and not actually burning smoke.

And yes, vaping with nicotine is highly addictive and should not be pushed anywhere or advertised anywhere. Just like smoking.

However, the day that stops happening? will be the day they stop advertising alcohol and filling supermarkets with it. IE, the 12th day of never. There's simply too much money in it.

Society tells us to consume. No matter what it is, they want us doing it to extremes. Watching videos on YT for the ad revenue, staring at our phones for ad revenue and control etc etc. All of those things are just as bad for you as anything else in life. Once again, it all comes down to moderation. Only no chance. We are not told that, and we are not raised that way. Consume consume consume. No matter what, do it in high volume and make the most revenue. Smoking, vaping, drinking, watching TV, eating, snacking, etc etc.

And the problem is as humans where we mostly love doing things to extremes? well, that is what ends up happening.
In todays world I wouldn't say 76 is old old, Maybe if you've abused your body, Worked 6 day weeks doing hard labour, Eaten crap and pumped your body full of poison for decades then yeah I suppose for that type of person 76 is old but my family routinely lives to early to mid 90's, We have exceptionally good diets, Apart from both my aunts, And 2 other family members, Who veered from the family norm and decided to emulate Victorian chimneys.

Plus we do not look our age, My dad is 75 and he looks and moves like he's in his 50's, Diet, Supplementation, Regular exercise and skin care routine, All things I have set up for the majority of my family that actually want to utilise my qualifications My aunt before she died of smoking looked in her 50's albeit very tired due to the cancer, I look in my early 20's but I'm 35, We have decent genes in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien c View Post
Sorry for your loss Dice.
Appreciated
Old 13-07-21, 10:20 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about that bud. Hope you're doing good.
Old 13-07-21, 11:20 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Sorry to hear about that bud. Hope you're doing good.

Appreciated but I'm fine, It's been coming for a loooooonnnngggg time so it's not a shock, I'm sad yes but this was inevitable with the amount she smoked.
Old 14-07-21, 01:40 PM

Sorry for your loss, Dice. It's so sad other family members can't/won't learn from their elders' mistakes.