Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 18-12-13, 04:39 PM

!!!Why internal gaming soundcards aren't worth it !!! (this is usefull for everybody)

I've been telling people to stay away from internale soundcards because they make your
audio quality worse but no matter what i said some people wouldn't listen to me.
but the day has finaly come that one of my favorite youtubers Logan made a vid
about this audio problem and why you shouldn't throw your money away with buying a
soundcard. I hope this convinces some people because i'm tired of people telling each other
that there soundcard is great and even recommending it. Just watch this and i hope no one
will make the mistake off
buying a soundcard again after watching this vid

Welcome to the world of people who know better (well atleast when it comes to audio)

i'm not trying to offend anybody
I'm not saying people how bought soundcards are stupid i'm just saying that this is the way to go to improve your audio from now on
saying this because some people are really sensitive to the criticism on how they spend there money

Old 18-12-13, 04:52 PM
OC3D Elite

I watched this video last night and I can honestly say without a shadow of a doubt that the sound quality from my STX is vastly superior to my motherboard.

From the title of the vid "gaming audio" yep, to be honest there isn't much difference between on board and my soundcard. Although, I would still say the sound quality from my soundcard is still better than from the motherboard if only slightly.
Movies and Music is a whole different story though, the quality difference with music and movies is miles better, it's night and day.
NZXT Switch 810 - Ryzeny 3600 - Gigabyte X570 Gaming - 32GB Corsair Platinum SE - MSI Gaming 1070 - Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB HDD - Corsair H100 - Corsair RM1000i SE - Asus VE247H

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 18-12-13, 04:54 PM
born in a.....

For gaming there isn't a difference. For audio and surround sound there is.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 18-12-13, 05:00 PM
OC3D Elite

I can honestly say I could hear the difference even in games, with both onboard audio and a soundcard and different headphones.

Old 18-12-13, 05:03 PM
OC3D Elite

If we are talking about sound cards which are labeled as gaming sound cards then I agree, otherwise I can't understand how can he say that "with good headphones, I guarantee you (dedicated soundcard)it will sound the same if not worse(than onboard)".
Old 18-12-13, 05:07 PM
OC3D Elite

We need James Riley on this one....

Old 18-12-13, 05:07 PM

i've testes quiet some soundcard also the stx and i must say myself that there is a difference in sound (that i don't like) but the main thing is how loud it gets your headphones. And don't forget the placebo effect.

the most important is what headphones are you using (as said in the vid gaming headphones are junk)

I've done some blind testing myself and i almost cound't tell the difference between on board and internale the only differende was a slite hissing sound and some eq difference (with the soundcard). But the difference between an external and internale for the same price is immense difference.

as i said keep this in mind when you are upgrading your audio setup next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
I can honestly say I could hear the difference even in games, with both onboard audio and a soundcard and different headphones.
thats because off the eq that is build in in the soundcard
Old 18-12-13, 06:12 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
We need James Riley on this one....
Heh, as I've said a fair few times around the forum, I'm not a gamer.

I have my DT990s and the STX for listening to music, but of course if I ever do end up playing a game, I will use them.

The quality from a proper soundcard and decent headphones will be better than from a gaming headset in both music listening and games. But, when I say 'better quality', that doesn't mean you'll suddenly be able to hear things you couldn't hear before in games. It means the sounds will be more realistic and immersive.

But, the question here really is, do you need to hear footsteps in marginally better quality? Probably not...

Gaming headsets have high bass levels in order to make footsteps more prominent, this makes it less realistic, but some gamers would probably argue that hearing louder footsteps is better than hearing quieter better quality footsteps.

Anyway, back to the argument - soundcard or no soundcard.

With my DT990s, being 250Ohm headphones, my motherboard would never be able to power them enough to get that realistic experience. However, at the same time, since 90% of soundcards available don't have a dedicated amp built in, they probably wouldn't either. So if the argument is between having a soundcard/amp in order to power high quality headphones, then you're stupid to say you shouldn't since without one, you wouldn't get much out of them at all.

I do however think a lot of people believe soundcards can process the audio at better quality, and that is correct, but tbh, the differences probably aren't so prominent if you're just thinking about the sound processor itself. If you gave me a £40 pair of headphones, and asked me to blind test a decent on-board solution and something like a Xonar DX, I wouldn't be confident saying now I'd be able to say which was which.

But, the point is the better soundcards have higher quality DACs and Amps which you definitely can tell the difference. Give me a £150 pair of headphones, and ask me to say which was an STX and which was on-board (even if it was the highest quality on-board solution around), and I'd be very confident in being able to say which was which.

I only watched about 2 minutes of that video, but doesn't the Mayflower dude make external amps and DACs himself? If so, the DAC would be going through USB/optical and so by-passing any soundcard near enough anyway, so it's pretty obvious he'd be saying the soundcards themselves weren't important, but the DACs/Amps were?
Old 18-12-13, 06:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesriley94 View Post
I only watched about 2 minutes of that video, but doesn't the Mayflower dude make external amps and DACs himself? If so, the DAC would be going through USB/optical and so by-passing any soundcard near enough anyway, so it's pretty obvious he'd be saying the soundcards themselves weren't important, but the DACs/Amps were?
the video is basically an advertisement for mayflower products
Old 18-12-13, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru3L139 View Post
the video is basically an advertisement for mayflower products
The thing is they say more than once, that an onboard soundcard is often sufficient.
I give you that they do a bit of product placement of the mayflower dac. But the thing it is based on a design available to everyone. You can buy a DIY kit for a 100 bucks I think.

I find this topic highly interesting. The thing is it can get highly ethereal sometimes and sometimes downright stupid. Like digital cables for a couple of hundred bucks for example.

I have to say most of the things said in the vid sound plausible to me. And I have heard similar things from other people.

In the end audio will always be one of the most subjective topics around, because perception of audio is highly subjectiv.