Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 19-08-14, 09:25 AM
Xrqute's Avatar
Xrqute Xrqute is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 647
Alpenwasser you're famous! take a look you get an honorable mention!

http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php...color-build%2F

__________________





OC3D Overclockers Club #47
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 19-08-14, 10:23 AM
alpenwasser's Avatar
alpenwasser alpenwasser is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPC View Post
Fun fact: I failed lacing the cable the way it's made in that tutorial and made my own thing out of it (see my build)
Yeah, saw that, looks pretty awesome, and definitively unique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrqute View Post
Alpenwasser you're famous! take a look you get an honorable mention!

http://themodzoo.com/forum/index.php...color-build%2F
Haha, yes, I saw, thank you very much. Very nice build
indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 19-08-14, 10:41 PM
Xrqute's Avatar
Xrqute Xrqute is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 647
Has anyone Attempted/Laced the 24pin cable for the Corsair AX860? (or any corsair AX series)

The double cables + the one missing cable are messing with my fueng suey and making the lace job look crap.

If someone has how'd you get around it to keep it all sexy looking?
__________________





OC3D Overclockers Club #47
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 19-08-14, 11:51 PM
alpenwasser's Avatar
alpenwasser alpenwasser is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrqute View Post
Has anyone Attempted/Laced the 24pin cable for the Corsair AX860? (or any corsair AX series)

The double cables + the one missing cable are messing with my fueng suey and making the lace job look crap.

If someone has how'd you get around it to keep it all sexy looking?
My Platimax has double wires as well, and of course criss-crossing
wires from the 24 pin back to the PSU connector.

The way I got around that is on one hand by using a thin Nylon
thread, which makes it slightly easier to "cheat" a bit because you
can make a tighter wire bundle than with the thicker cotton cord
used in the video. The second and more important approach is
to use those parts of the wire bundle which are not visible to
cheat a bit, hide the odd extra wire or so.

It's not a close-up, but if you take a look at the large version of
this picture, it should give you a better idea of what I mean:



The inner part of the loop going to the 24 pin connector is
used to hide a few extra wires, so the wire bundle essentially
becomes three-layered in some spots, but you can't see that
unless you take the cable out and turn it around.

Secondly, you can see that there is no lacing in the middle
part of the cable, which enables me to cross the wires in
that area which need to be crossed, thus enabling a clean
wire bundle on the 24 pin end and on the PSU end (both
are visible in my build, whereas the middle part is not).

Whether or not you can use these approaches will depend
on your build I presume, but that's what I did to achieve
a clean look in the end.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 26-08-14, 04:42 PM
Xrqute's Avatar
Xrqute Xrqute is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 647
Does Wax Cotton potentially have another name?

3x haberdasheries none of them had it apparantly ZZZ
__________________





OC3D Overclockers Club #47
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 26-08-14, 05:45 PM
alpenwasser's Avatar
alpenwasser alpenwasser is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrqute View Post
Does Wax Cotton potentially have another name?

3x haberdasheries none of them had it apparantly ZZZ
Not that I'm aware of, although as a non-native speaker some of the
more obscure terms may not be familiar to me.

However, you don't necessarily need wax cotton for this, you can use
pretty much most reasonably strong threads. Some may be a bit easier
to work with than others, but they should still work. On HELIOS' cables
I use thin nylon thread, which looks great but because it is so slippery
is a bit of a pain to work with. Some strong sewing thread will probably
work just as well. Of course, if you want the look of waxed cotton, that's
another story.

You can easily get it on eBay though, that's where I get mine.


Side note: No matter how many times I come across it, haberdasher and
its derivatives will never lose its funniness to me.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 26-08-14, 06:23 PM
Xrqute's Avatar
Xrqute Xrqute is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpenwasser View Post
Not that I'm aware of, although as a non-native speaker some of the
more obscure terms may not be familiar to me.

However, you don't necessarily need wax cotton for this, you can use
pretty much most reasonably strong threads. Some may be a bit easier
to work with than others, but they should still work. On HELIOS' cables
I use thin nylon thread, which looks great but because it is so slippery
is a bit of a pain to work with. Some strong sewing thread will probably
work just as well. Of course, if you want the look of waxed cotton, that's
another story.

You can easily get it on eBay though, that's where I get mine.


Side note: No matter how many times I come across it, haberdasher and
its derivatives will never lose its funniness to me.
Hello my good man!

I stumbled across this in the hardware!





It should make for an awesome EYE POPPING effeect under the UV!
__________________





OC3D Overclockers Club #47
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 26-08-14, 06:29 PM
maniac's Avatar
maniac maniac is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Malta
Posts: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrqute View Post
Hello my good man!

I stumbled across this in the hardware!





It should make for an awesome EYE POPPING effeect under the UV!
That would look frickin awesome, needs to be done to a high ocd level though as the uv will show all imperfections.
__________________
NZXT Switch 810 - Intel i7 3770k - Gigabyte G1 GTX1070 - AsRock Z77 Extreme3 - Corsair Vengeance 2866 12GB
Corsair H110 - Corsair HX850 - Patriot Burst 1TB - Asus VX24AH - Logitech G510 - Corsair G502

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 26-08-14, 06:58 PM
alpenwasser's Avatar
alpenwasser alpenwasser is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrqute View Post
Hello my good man!

I stumbled across this in the hardware!

It should make for an awesome EYE POPPING effeect under the UV!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac View Post
That would look frickin awesome, needs to be done to a high ocd level though as the uv will show all imperfections.
Oh, yeah, that has potential.

But yes, will definitely need to pay close attention to imperfections
with that. Looking forward to the results.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 26-08-14, 07:12 PM
Wraith's Avatar
Wraith Wraith is offline
Bettyswollocks
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: On the Moon.
Posts: 7,703
Wow that's bright! It's actually burned into my retinas.
__________________
“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” ~ Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
guide lacing modding

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 08:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.