Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 24-04-13, 06:40 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
That is a **** ton of copper! You will for sure have one heavy build
Hehe, yes it probably will not be very light. But I'm pretty sure it will be lighter than its
predecessor, 11 HDD's plus two Aquadrives weigh a crapload. Plus the Elysium is not
exactly light either (15.5 kg IIRC), although it's actually only ~3 kg heavier ( ~ 6.5 lbs for
you ) than the SMH10.

But yeah, those Raystorm CPU blocks are massive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEGATIVE View Post
Love it mate,i am working with copper on my Arctic Water build,
Thanks mate! Been following Arctic Water closely, and I really like it if I may say so. I would
have never guessed white/copper could look as good as it does simply because I had never
actually seen it before, and ever since seeing PrometheusCU I had just been completely
fixed on black/copper. But Arctic Water looks really beautiful!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B NEGATIVE View Post
shame you are not in the UK,I have just spent a small fortune on a metal polisher that will buff those mill marks right out.
Haha, yeah I would have gladly sent them to you. On the other hand, as a college student
(at least in the earlier semesters) you don't often get to do manual labour (which I quite
enjoy, at least this kind ), and since I've never done this before I'm rather looking forward
to figuring out how to get this right. I'm actually already quite happy with the current first
results, the mill marks are gone, it's just some really fine (but very visible if the light hits
at the right angle) scratches that remain.

I have sandpaper from 600 grit up to 2500 grit, plus some sheets of 7000 grit EDIT:
correction: 5000 grit /EDIT (all suitable for wet sanding). Besides that I will try out
different polishing compounds and use the dremel with those, some first experiments
have yielded promising results; you just have to be careful with using the dremel for
polishing to not "favour" one part of the surface but give the entire thing the same
attention. From what I've tried so far, I will probably have to go back to some coarser
paper (400~800) to get those scratches out, but I don't want to go too coarse right away.

I'm definitely no expert at this, but at some point somebody figured this out, so it should
be feasible for me as well

Old 24-04-13, 09:18 PM
AMD Enthusiast

7000 grit sandpaper? I know metals use very fine grits but i guess being more familiar on wood working i underestimated metals
Old 24-04-13, 09:42 PM
OC3D Elite

I haven't tried it yet tbh, but since I was buying a bunch of different grit papers I thought I might as
well add it to the order. It's not like it costs a fortune.

And yes, even though I'm no expert on metals, you can still see very fine scratches quite clearly
if the light hits the surface at the right (or wrong, rather) angle. Think piano lacquer on wood.
Old 24-04-13, 10:27 PM
OC3D Crew

I'm really liking the look of the copper, I think copper and black will look great together . I was going to say you might want to look into a coating of something ( lacquer or something similar)on the copper to stop that nasty green color.

Can't wait to see how this turns out , keep up the good work.
Corsair 650D, MSI Z77A-GD65 , I7-3770k, Corsair H100i w/sp120 QE ,G.Skill Ares 16gb 2133 c9, Asus Blu-Ray Burner, Asus Xonar STX ,Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb ,W.D. black 1TB ,Seagate 3TB, MSI GTX 680 Lightning, Corsair AX760i ,Case Fans : Front : CM 200 blue,Rear : Corsair AF 120 PE , Klipsch 2.1 , Sennheiser HD650 , 2 x Samsung 23" 1080p , Logitech G710+
Old 24-04-13, 10:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3Max View Post
I'm really liking the look of the copper, I think copper and black will look great together . I was going to say you might want to look into a coating of something ( lacquer or something similar)on the copper to stop that nasty green color.

Can't wait to see how this turns out , keep up the good work.
I have actually been thinking about that and will do some experiments with clear coats.
After having spent all that time polishing the copper parts I don't want the clear coat to
screw everything up, but I would definitely also like to avoid tarnishing.

But this will likely only come in the late stages of the build since it's not very urgent.

Thanks for the support!
Old 24-04-13, 10:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to alienware
It won't screw anything up so long as it's good clear.
Old 24-04-13, 10:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It won't screw anything up so long as it's good clear.
Good to know, thanks. Then I suppose it's just a matter of getting the right
coat and doing it properly
Old 24-04-13, 11:41 PM
OC3D Crew

What about a couple of light coats of spray on clear coat ? I'm not sure how it will hold up to heat though.
Corsair 650D, MSI Z77A-GD65 , I7-3770k, Corsair H100i w/sp120 QE ,G.Skill Ares 16gb 2133 c9, Asus Blu-Ray Burner, Asus Xonar STX ,Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb ,W.D. black 1TB ,Seagate 3TB, MSI GTX 680 Lightning, Corsair AX760i ,Case Fans : Front : CM 200 blue,Rear : Corsair AF 120 PE , Klipsch 2.1 , Sennheiser HD650 , 2 x Samsung 23" 1080p , Logitech G710+
Old 24-04-13, 11:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark3Max View Post
What about a couple of light coats of spray on clear coat ? I'm not sure how it will hold up to heat though.
That's pretty much what I have in mind. I don't think heat will be a big issue, the copper parts
won't really get very hot; I doubt they will hit 40 C (maybe for short times), maybe not even
30 (ambient temps are usually ~ 20 C in my room, although they can get to above 30 C in
summer). As long as the spray coat is a decent product and I apply it correctly I think I
should be fine.

But to be thorough I will certainly look into this before actually doing it, no point in being so
detail oriented in the rest of the build and then getting sloppy at the end.
Old 30-04-13, 03:17 PM
OC3D Crew

Hi alpenwasser!!
Out of curiosity, do you know that HELIOS it´s the name of Bull´s Supercomputer?
I just wanted to share this information with you!
by the way.....nice rig you´ve got there

http://www.datacenterdynamics.com/fo...s-comes-online

Tags
560 radiator, caselabs smh10, copper, evga sr-2, geforce titan