Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 13-10-21, 12:39 PM
OC3D Elite

We play Insurgency. Quite a lot as it goes. Sadly compared to PUBG it's like a glass of water compared to a glass of champagne. PUBG, for all of its flaws, is absolutely excellent and I don't say that lightly. It's just so dynamic. Every game is completely different and because of the mechanics there is always that one special moment you generate that makes it so good.

We're not very good at it, and we die a lot, but the laughs we have are unmatched. Plus the recoils and etc are all very realistic. Much more so than any other FPS game I have ever played, which is what makes it so subtle and skilled.

Sadly for some reason Unreal Engine has a beef with certain 20 series RTX cards. I think it has a beef with all GPUs, but some of the early Turing cards suffer with it badly. AC is another game that can make the VRAM overheat. It's quite a common issue on 2080Tis tbh. When I bought it the guy I got it from was honest about it and sent me a link to a thread where people were complaining about it. Fan profiles and ETC stop it crashing but yeah, its just a GPU cooker.

With this case I have more options. Like, far more options. I still have the block for this GPU too, so water cooling is not out of the question given the case supports two 240mm rads. I still have a pump and top too and loads of other gear.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 13-10-21, 01:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Yhh fairs, I've got a few hundred hours in PUBG but been a couple years since I played, always was a toaster for me, still ran much better than the PUBG mod for the DayZ mod for ArmA2 and stuff, but for a while I'd have to take my side panel off when playing with my HD7870XT+FX8320.

If still looking for new options, the Player Unknown Battle Royale mod for ArmA3 is quite good too if you wanted a change in style (More mil-sim base game) with the same overall gameplay. We've been looking at that new Zero Hour, also looks to be in a similar vein to these games gunplay wise, looks a bit like Insurgency, it's still in early access tho so not played yet myself

DayZ (Standalone, or the ArmA3 mod for a bit of a more fun alternative) is another game we've played a lot which similarly goes for quite realistic gunplay, and comes with a lot of very unique moments, but of course a very different overall style and pace to the BR games.

I'm very interested to see how this build turns out, never seen that case before
Old 13-10-21, 01:37 PM
OC3D Elite

There are a couple of new ones coming. Special people? something like that. Basically a clone. Super People I think - ed.

It's totally 100% social tbh. I play with four guys my age (one is over 60) and the laughs we have are just superb. But yeah, scratch under the surface and you reveal some subtle nuances that just make it so much fun. I have captured a few moments, sadly without the chat. The first time I got a BRDM/BDRM/BDSM whatever we are calling it on the day was just hilarious. These poor guys had no idea what to do (spray, with something powerful). Sadly I did not capture me singing the "Trolololo" song and my mates crying with laughter.

It was the bit at the end that had us in hysterics. All that build up, drama etc and I just got out and blasted him

This was another really funny one too. I wandered off (I have stopped doing that now) and before I knew it they had gone and I was miles away hiding from a red zone. Having played it you will understand what's going on. I called it "Shelled peas". Again, we were crying.

And things like this too. Where you finally learn how to lead off your shots and pull off the impossible.

There are just so many of those moments tbh. Now? it's pretty much all I will play. At least four nights a week. Which, after many years of being in a sort of gaming purgatory (waiting for a game to come out only to find I'd seen it all before or it was broken or crap) is pretty cool.

We just can't do all of the COD and BF silliness like grappling hooks and flying around like an idiot completely unrealistically. PUBG devs are ignorant AF, and there is still a lot wrong with it, but if it wasn't for the fact you basically conjure your own magic every time you play we would probably play nothing.

Old 14-10-21, 11:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Goods arrived. Just waiting for Amazon.

Old 14-10-21, 12:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Wow this thing is mad complicated. It's genius though. Peed around with the PSU a bit, trying to get a good angle of attack. Then I realised that I should just undo the swing arm.

Mount the PSU.

And then just swing it back shut.

Then I spent ages messing with the AIO, before I realised I should just follow the same principle.

The cables are here, so it's time to shut down and strip the PC.

I've also hatched a plan to reverse mount the hard drive box, so they should be completely hidden in the centre channel.

Old 14-10-21, 04:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Next up board.

Because I flipped the hard drive cage and fitted it inside (as you can see here) I fitted these two fans to get air in there for the drives. Ill run them really slow.

Nice thing is there is a cover that goes over the hole too. About two fiddly hours later.

And.

Just need to find somewhere for the PWM hub for the two black fans, then just button it up.

Old 14-10-21, 06:35 PM
OC3D Elite

Old 14-10-21, 06:46 PM
Advanced Member

nice alien i really like that, so compact and the design is great
Old 14-10-21, 06:54 PM
OC3D Elite

Cheers Steve. Not a case for those with toddlers who like to poke things

I couldn't fit the front panel with the glass in. It was sitting right on the GPU. That said with a 23c drop in GPU temps and the fans not going over 50% (try 100% as soon as you load PUBG, or it orbs and crashes) I was loathe to any way.

It's a beautiful case. Top to bottom the quality is just wonderful. I think my favourite part though is how the AIO hangs off the back like a parachute on a drag car.

I still need to hook up the PWM hub for the black fans, but I need to drill a hole in that cover panel so I can screw it in. The adhesive has gone, and I don't want it floating around in there. It's a 5 minute job tbh, I just didn't feel up to getting in the attic to drill it today. Those fans are only to shove some air into the HDDs any way, so not critical right now.

But yeah, overall totally stoked. I was beginning to wonder if the GPU was screwed, but then I remembered it didn't do it on water. I think the reason was that in the old case it was literally right up against a solid alu wall. This means that within a minute the VRAM was hitting 100c. Even with the fans on 100%. Any more than that? it would start showing coloured orbs, then crash within about 10 seconds.

Now?

You can literally see all of the back of the GPU. Meaning that heat has somewhere to go, and not straight back into the PCB and thus VRAM. Temps before? 79c with fans on 100% within a minute of loading PUBG. Temps now after an hour left soaking in training mode in PUBG.

And that is with the fans at 60%, where I can't even hear them (same as in the video basically).

Hmm. Just realised maybe I can reduce the "under clock" now and shove up the temp limit a bit.

Old 15-10-21, 02:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Removed the underclock and undervolt and put the memory speed back to stock. Gained an extra 30 FPS. The GPU now sits jammed at 70c, which means it does not get to 75 where the fans would ramp up. Two hours of PUBG last night confirmed everything was well.

I did get the odd red orb about every 30 minutes or so, but nothing that made it crash. VRAM never went over 70c, some 30 lower than before.

Very happy. Now to make a GPU guard from 5mm white acrylic using the glass as a template