Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 10-01-20, 11:26 AM
OC3D Elite

Best Budget Gaming Keypad

( As the title says, I'm after the best budget gaming keypad so I can get into more Elite Dangerous.

I've been considering something that has a thumbstick so I can hopefully control in game menus with it or the view but that narrows me down to Razer Tartarus V2 or Orbweaver

Has anyone got any experience with these or got any better suggestions? I have considered getting a Logitech G13 but unused ones are like gold dust and I'm 50/50 on second hand models since I don't know how much life they have left.

Normally I wouldn't touch Razer with a barge pole but I feel like I'm backed into a corner on this one

Edit: Forgot to mention I've got a HOTAS (Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X) which a keypad would go alongside because reaching my keyboard is a pain in the neck.

I've considered a new HOTAS but that's way above budget right now

Old 10-01-20, 11:58 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
As the title says, I'm after the best budget gaming keypad so I can get into more Elite Dangerous.

I've been considering something that has a thumbstick so I can hopefully control in game menus with it or the view but that narrows me down to Razer Tartarus V2 or Orbweaver

Has anyone got any experience with these or got any better suggestions? I have considered getting a Logitech G13 but unused ones are like gold dust and I'm 50/50 on second hand models since I don't know how much life they have left.

Normally I wouldn't touch Razer with a barge pole but I feel like I'm backed into a corner on this one
Hmm little curious. Not sure it would be as immersive as a HOTAS which I believe can be around the same price for some. I didnt find keypads as useful as a normal KB.

Elite Dangerous without a HOTAS requires quite alot of keybinds and I think the thumbstick might need to be used for thrusters if anything.
Old 10-01-20, 12:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Hmm little curious. Not sure it would be as immersive as a HOTAS which I believe can be around the same price for some. I didnt find keypads as useful as a normal KB.

Elite Dangerous without a HOTAS requires quite alot of keybinds and I think the thumbstick might need to be used for thrusters if anything.
Should have mentioned I've already got a HOTAS sorry but it doesn't have enough buttons for all the Elite commands, keypad is to supplement it rather than replace it.

Problem I've got with my setup is that I've only got one surface for the HOTAS and my keyboard sits behind it and trying to reach around to get any keys can be a nightmare
Old 10-01-20, 12:22 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Should have mentioned I've already got a HOTAS sorry but it doesn't have enough buttons for all the Elite commands, keypad is to supplement it rather than replace it.

Problem I've got with my setup is that I've only got one surface for the HOTAS and my keyboard sits behind it and trying to reach around to get any keys can be a nightmare
Funny you say that. I just built a hotas desk mount and was going to add it on here as a build log. VERY simple solution which resolved the problem you have. I had exactly the same! and I refuse to pay 160 euro each for throttle and stick mount.
Old 10-01-20, 12:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Funny you say that. I just built a hotas desk mount and was going to add it on here as a build log. VERY simple solution which resolved the problem you have. I had exactly the same! and I refuse to pay 160 euro each for throttle and stick mount.
Welp, in that case mate, would you be so kind to share your knowledge?
Old 10-01-20, 01:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Another cheaper option is to use voice attack with one of HCS voice packs I play in VR now with a HOTAS and it's a great tool to have

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Old 10-01-20, 01:45 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
Another cheaper option is to use voice attack with one of HCS voice packs I play in VR now with a HOTAS and it's a great tool to have
That helps, but not when searching star systems which is why I thought a keypad also doesnt solve the problem as much.
Old 10-01-20, 01:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
That helps, but not when searching star systems which is why I thought a keypad also doesnt solve the problem as much.
yeah frontier really need to sort out the galaxy map in VR

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Old 10-01-20, 03:17 PM

https://voiceattack.com/ seen a few streamers use this in the past for different things something you might use in elite for landing gear and such things good little app.
Old 10-01-20, 04:29 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNosser View Post
https://voiceattack.com/ seen a few streamers use this in the past for different things something you might use in elite for landing gear and such things good little app.
yeah I use it for everthing except star systems. You can even use it to request docking.
HCS Voicepacks are well worth having. Or at least 1 of them.