Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Storage Mediums

Old 01-09-14, 03:46 PM

SSD cache for 2tb HDD.

Hi.
I'm buying a 128gb ssd for windows and steam ect just so it feels more responsive, but I've heard that maps load A LOT quicker on an ssd.
If I install windows and a bunch of apps that I want to partition off,and then leave like 40gb or something for room and then partition 40gb for caching, could I make a 40gb on my WD Black 2tb drive.
How would I do this and would this mean if I'm running a game like COD or BF, it could cache an entire map and then load it a lot quicker because it's technically in the SSD?
Just curious, might not get around to doing this at all if it turns out to not be worth it. I was thinking that the games stored on the HDD could be partially cached in the part of the SSD I would partition for cache.

Old 01-09-14, 03:54 PM
Suspended By Request of Police

Yes the games load a lot quicker on ssd, with big maps like on battlefield there is a big difference in loading times

40gb partition for caching?
Only sandisk readycache ssd (which i have) supports caching the hdd
Old 01-09-14, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
Yes the games load a lot quicker on ssd, with big maps like on battlefield there is a big difference in loading times

40gb partition for caching?
Only sandisk readycache ssd (which i have) supports caching the hdd
Hmm.
Okay, for maps to load *noticeably* quicker, how much cache is recommended. I mean I'm going to be using a Kingston V300 120gb ssd. So how much could I cache?
Old 01-09-14, 05:04 PM
Suspended By Request of Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis'FantasticTec View Post
Hmm.
Okay, for maps to load *noticeably* quicker, how much cache is recommended. I mean I'm going to be using a Kingston V300 120gb ssd. So how much could I cache?
You can't have cache on that ssd. There is no software that supports it.

The readycache software is only exclusive to the 32gb sandisk readycache ssd
Old 01-09-14, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboOC View Post
You can't have cache on that ssd. There is no software that supports it.

The readycache software is only exclusive to the 32gb sandisk readycache ssd
So you can ONLY cache an SSD if it's a Sandisk ready cache... My impression was you could partition some of an SSD and cache the empty space...
Old 02-09-14, 10:16 AM
OC3D Elite

you have RST from intel on the z 68 and above boards.
you can use any ssd as a cache but only up to a max of 64gb i think.

the generals of it is.
set up the bios for raid. dont worrt about making an array. install windows on a mechanical drive. do not partition the ssd it has to be un-partitioned space.
run the intel app and tell it how much space to use for cache.
this will then set up your cache and make an accelerated raid array consisting of your mechanical drive and the cache you allocated.
when that is done you can then go to computer management>disk manager and then partition the remaining space (you will only be able to see the remaining space)
so if you havd a 120gb ssd and used 60gb for cache when you go to disk manager you will only see a 60gb hard disk available to partition.

and thats about all you need to do. the software and chip set take care of everything els.
it does work a lot like a raid array but since the z68 chipset it understands that its a cache. You may need to enable it in the bios but my intel board auto magically does it.
Old 02-09-14, 05:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shambles1980 View Post
you have RST from intel on the z 68 and above boards.
you can use any ssd as a cache but only up to a max of 64gb i think.

the generals of it is.
set up the bios for raid. dont worrt about making an array. install windows on a mechanical drive. do not partition the ssd it has to be un-partitioned space.
run the intel app and tell it how much space to use for cache.
this will then set up your cache and make an accelerated raid array consisting of your mechanical drive and the cache you allocated.
when that is done you can then go to computer management>disk manager and then partition the remaining space (you will only be able to see the remaining space)
so if you havd a 120gb ssd and used 60gb for cache when you go to disk manager you will only see a 60gb hard disk available to partition.

and thats about all you need to do. the software and chip set take care of everything els.
it does work a lot like a raid array but since the z68 chipset it understands that its a cache. You may need to enable it in the bios but my intel board auto magically does it.
Sounds pretty complex if you only have a hdd and ssd. I'll just buy a separate ssd purely for chache then. Thanks for the mini tutorial and info.
Old 03-09-14, 09:45 AM
OC3D Elite

its not complicated really. pretty straight forward actually.

Tags
cache, hdd, ssd