Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 05-11-21, 12:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Had a brain fart earlier for an idea that would make it the most expensive GPU waterblock in the world.

Imagine a vertically mounted GPU, with an acrylic/Nickel block attached. And then layered on top of the Acrylic, would be a full OLED display that extends over the whole block, and connected directly into the GPU, fed via some display port connection/bypass.

Imagine all the HWinfo data, Gif, animations, performance reading being visible there. Or apps allowing you to add a plethora of software/game assistance etc. If they can add small meaninful ones to CPU blocks, why not go to town and make a one off extreme version

@Bitspower... lets talk

Old 05-11-21, 01:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Ooo I like that. Imagine it was like those cases with the see through screen. So you could see all of your data, but still see the block and stuffs underneath. That would be cool AF !

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 18-11-21, 10:55 PM
OC3D Elite

Saw an RX 6900XT for sale at £1200 today and nearly bought it. Came so close before I snapped back to reality and thought "why the hell am I paying more for a GPU than the rest of my PC put together?"

I know it's a pipe dream given Brexit and Covid but I still hope GPU prices will come down one day.
Old 18-11-21, 11:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0ggles1994 View Post
Saw an RX 6900XT for sale at £1200 today and nearly bought it. Came so close before I snapped back to reality and thought "why the hell am I paying more for a GPU than the rest of my PC put together?"

I know it's a pipe dream given Brexit and Covid but I still hope GPU prices will come down one day.
£1200 is about what you can expect. Irrelevant of Brexit or Covid.

For years Nvidia have made 60% on every GPU they sell. This hasn't changed since Fermi. So Kepler, Maxwell, Pascal etc etc.

This is the cost of large GPU dies and ray tracing and deep learning. Whether people want to accept that or not.

£1200 for an aftermarket card (if it is a good one) is about where you are going to be. For the top end card. That's about the same as the 2080Ti launched at, pre Covid or Brexit, and that is how it is. And will remain to be.

These cards are nothing like Pascal. At all. Remember, AMD launched at an SRP of £999.

I'm also seeing quite large numbers of AMD cards in stock too, so I guess the demand is finally falling.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.

Tags
banter, conversation, entertainment, fun, jokes, safe for work, small talk