Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 20-08-11, 06:40 PM

Hi guys

i wouldnt normally ask a question regarding installation of graphic cards however ive been having no end of problems with a XFX HD4850 and i need the correct method of removing my current card (XFX HD5670 ).. and then remove both the drivers and run driver sweeper to eradicate any remaining driver files ect

i want to run driver sweeper as ive had several different cards installed on my pc ( 5 to be precise ) and the accumilation of old redundant driver files may be the cause of recent problems with the HD4850 ( note : ive only been using the HD5670 for stability,however i want to install the HD4850 as its more powerful )

so i shall write what i think is the correct method and i need to you to correct me if its wrong in any area

1) remove current ati drivers ( restart when finished)

2) upon restart press F8 to enter safe mode

3) in safe mode run driver sweeper selecting both ati and nvidia ( since i have used 2 nvidia cards previously )

4) when complete shut down

5) remove HD5670 and fit HD4850 connecting the required 6pin connector.....

6) start pc and when on desktop allow windows 7 to install wddm drivers....

7) restart as prompted

8) when on desktop install 11.7 ati drivers ( im using a x-fi extreme soundcard so shall i run custom installation and uncheck " AMD HD audio " ? )

9) restart when driver installation is complete

10) when windows loads again go into ccc and select " reset factory settings " ( i was advised to do this by amd ) ... then restart again

11) once windows loads again the installation is complete

this may seem drawn out however i need to make sure theres no trace of any other drivers apart from the 11.7 release.....

so can anyone see anything wrong with the above method....... if so please let me know

many thanks guys !

Old 20-08-11, 07:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Being honest, I'd just reinstall Windows.
Old 20-08-11, 07:28 PM
OC3D Elite

After you uninstall the drivers make sure you delete any Nvidia or ATI folders that might not have been deleted, this has happened to me in the past.

Check in

C:\Users>" Your username" >AppData>Local

C:\Users>" Your username" >AppData>Roaming

C:\

C:\program files

C:\program file(x86)

Make sure any folders with ATI, ATI technologies and anything Nvidia are deleted.

Also in the start menu type "regedit" without quotes then press return. When it loads go

HK_Current user > Software

Also

HK_Local machine > software

And again delete anything ATI or Nvidia.
NZXT Switch 810 - Ryzeny 3600 - Gigabyte X570 Gaming - 32GB Corsair Platinum SE - MSI Gaming 1070 - Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB HDD - Corsair H100 - Corsair RM1000i SE - Asus VE247H

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Old 20-08-11, 07:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Hi,

Is Drivercleaner Pro still any good? I've not used it for a long time myself, though it used to be a must have when changing graphics cards to keep things clean.

In the past I've found going from ATI Catalyst to nVidia Forceware more troublesome than the other way around. Not sure if the newer Catalyst driver are quite as bad as I recall the earlier ones being.

Cheers,

Scoob.
Intel 2500k @ 4.6 | ASUS P8Z68-V Pro | 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM @ 1600 | 2x EVGA GTX 680 2gb | 2x Kingston SSD-Now 120gb (RAID 0) + Corsair Neutron GTX 240gb + Samsung Spinpoint 1tb | CM 690 II Lite case | Corsair AX860i PSU | LG 24" LCD display @ 1920x1200 | Windows 10 Pro. 64

Custom Loop: EK Supreme HF Black Acetal CPU Block | 2x Alphacool NexXxoS ATXP Black Brushed Stainless Steel GPU blocks | External Phobya 1080 rad in Bench Edition Chassis | Alphacool D5 Pump + high-flow top | EK Adv. Cylinder Reservoir | Phobya G-Silent 180mm fans (shrouded) | Phobya External 90w PSU
Old 20-08-11, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ya93sin View Post

Being honest, I'd just reinstall Windows.

An additional problem is when ever you login to windows, it will want to install drivers and mess around with that you're doing and there's no way (that I know of) to stop it, even if your Ethernet cable is out.

I nearly got a headache reading what you listed and I personally wouldn't advise using registry/driver cleaners. Best way to clean out a pc is to format it, just remember to back-up your data lol.
Old 20-08-11, 08:26 PM

thanks guys

before i begin may i say this is by far the most polite forum ive used.... other forums tend to be patronising ... however you get straightforward answers and no beating around the bush ..

anyway it looks like reinstalling windows is the best course of action..... at least this way you know the system is clean and only files/drivers associated with the HD4850 will be present on the pc......

so weres that windows 7 disk ?

cheers guys
Old 20-08-11, 08:31 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianthesnail View Post

thanks guys

before i begin may i say this is by far the most polite forum ive used.... other forums tend to be patronising ... however you get straightforward answers and no beating around the bush ..

anyway it looks like reinstalling windows is the best course of action..... at least this way you know the system is clean and only files/drivers associated with the HD4850 will be present on the pc......

so weres that windows 7 disk ?

cheers guys
I'd try deleting all the folders from the locations I mentioned earlier first that is all the places that the driver files go into. I had the same problem with my Asus 4850 about a year ago and I fixed it by deleting all the files from where I said.
NZXT Switch 810 - Ryzeny 3600 - Gigabyte X570 Gaming - 32GB Corsair Platinum SE - MSI Gaming 1070 - Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB HDD - Corsair H100 - Corsair RM1000i SE - Asus VE247H

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.