Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 06-05-14, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

I don't think I've seen another build I want to be finished as much as this one.

I've got an insatiable curiosity as to how well your stacked rads are going to turn out. After all this effort you've put in, I really want them to do well!

Old 11-05-14, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMoB View Post
I don't think I've seen another build I want to be finished as much as this one.

I've got an insatiable curiosity as to how well your stacked rads are going to turn out. After all this effort you've put in, I really want them to do well!
It always used to bug me when it took people ages to finish a build log - I mean how hard can it be, right?
But when you're building PCs for your day job, it's a lot harder to bring your work home with you at the end of the day. Not to mention find the time to sit down and really make some progress.

Anyway… All cables are now sleeved! Good job too as I'm down to about 5m of paracord left from the 60m I bought.

Here's where I'm at now:

At the last minute, I changed where the 24pin was going to be routed. I had already cut a hole into the motherboard tray for the cable to go through but, as I discovered with the 8pin, it would have crossed the tubing. And I didn't want that. In the end I routed it up and over the radiators, and then out of the case inside the gap between the inside and outside of the case (where the SSDs are). Routing it here will mean that I can't sew it, but it'll mostly be hidden anyway.

(It'll look better than that when it's finished.)

I also changed the PCI cables so they fold back on themselves, instead of angling towards the PSU. I'll need to cut a hole for the cables in the rad mount so I can hide that mess in the unused space behind the original front panel.

I also found a better way to manage the cables behind the radiators. By moving the fan PCB to between the bottom 2 radiators, the 8pin and SATA power cables can fit around the edges better.

The Molex cable will mostly be hidden underneath the radiators.

The end is now in sight!
I still need to cut a hole below the motherboard for the tubing, as well as in the optical drive bay below the PSU. Hopefully everything will line up for me and I can just crack on with the tubing.

Speaking of tubing: acrylic is a lot harder to work with than normal tubing. A lot harder.
Old 11-05-14, 05:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Looks beautiful! Is there no way you could just bend the 24 pin 180 degrees and go straight behind the MB? It wouldn't be too hard to keep the route clean across the back of the MB
Old 11-05-14, 05:43 PM
OC3D Elite

Awesome

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 11-05-14, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassupdoc View Post
Looks beautiful! Is there no way you could just bend the 24 pin 180 degrees and go straight behind the MB? It wouldn't be too hard to keep the route clean across the back of the MB
That's where I had originally planned it to go, but I don't want it to cross over the tubing - and I don't think there'd be enough room for it anyway.
Old 08-09-14, 10:27 PM

Right, it's been a while since the last update.. Way too long to be honest, but one thing after another kept coming up preventing me from finishing this build..

I know a lot of you, myself included, really wanted to know how the stacked rads performed. And I now have the answer!

.... but you'll have to wait a little longer...

Since the last update, I've just had to finish cutting the acrylic and didn't take any photos of the assembly. It was awkward enough as it was without having to stop and take photos every 2 minutes. I will be posting finished shots and giving more details on the build, including test results very soon.

For now though, here's a teaser of the finished build:

Old 09-09-14, 01:33 AM

yes it has been a while since you last updated us but this beautiful build is definitely worth it. can't wait to see some pictures of it fully asembled
Old 09-09-14, 02:24 AM
OC3D Elite

Its a real shame I didnt saw your build earlier! Its beautiful you are giving me some good ideas for my next build
Old 09-09-14, 07:53 AM
born in a.....

Wish I could do this to my 901 .

Looks beautiful mate.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 09-09-14, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Ooeew, I'm curious (again)