Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 26-06-20, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Stunning.
Thanks mate. Despite everything that's happened I am really pleased with it. Considering I've not done anything really like that before, certainly not to that level of detail and accuracy, it's come out really well.

Current Rig:i7 [email protected] w/ Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper, ASUS Z270i, 16GB Patriot Viper 4 3400MHz CL16, Zotac GTX 980Ti [email protected]/7804 w/ Custom Copper Watercool Heatkiller IV XL, Samsung 256GB 960 EVO M.2 and 120GB 840 EVO SSD, XSPC Twin DDC Dual Bay Res w/ 2x Laing DDC-1T Plus on watercooled Alphacool Heatmaster II, 2x 240mm Alphacool ST30 w/ EK Furious Vardar EVO fans on watercooled Aquearo 6LT, EKWB Cryofuel Clear, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Dell U2412M, CM Rapid-i w/Browns, R.A.T. 7, Kingston HyperX Cloud
Old 26-06-20, 08:18 PM

The brushed metal turned out awesome, I really like the look. The mesh looks good too and I like how you raised it, almost like a speaker grill. Not sure how I feel about the brass color yet, will need to see how it plays out with the rest of the system, but after seeing what you've managed so far I have total faith in your abilities. Excellent job so far!

Old 27-06-20, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post
The brushed metal turned out awesome, I really like the look. The mesh looks good too and I like how you raised it, almost like a speaker grill. Not sure how I feel about the brass color yet, will need to see how it plays out with the rest of the system, but after seeing what you've managed so far I have total faith in your abilities. Excellent job so far!
Thanks There will be some more brass accents about, so it won't be completely on it's own and out of place.
Current Rig:i7 [email protected] w/ Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper, ASUS Z270i, 16GB Patriot Viper 4 3400MHz CL16, Zotac GTX 980Ti [email protected]/7804 w/ Custom Copper Watercool Heatkiller IV XL, Samsung 256GB 960 EVO M.2 and 120GB 840 EVO SSD, XSPC Twin DDC Dual Bay Res w/ 2x Laing DDC-1T Plus on watercooled Alphacool Heatmaster II, 2x 240mm Alphacool ST30 w/ EK Furious Vardar EVO fans on watercooled Aquearo 6LT, EKWB Cryofuel Clear, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Dell U2412M, CM Rapid-i w/Browns, R.A.T. 7, Kingston HyperX Cloud
Old 29-06-20, 04:13 PM
OC3D Crew

I've only had a look at the last two pages, so don't spoil it for me when I go back, don't ask why I started at page 4 but I did, but thats just stunning!
Old 29-06-20, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by You_What? View Post
I've only had a look at the last two pages, so don't spoil it for me when I go back, don't ask why I started at page 4 but I did, but thats just stunning!
Thanks very much Hope you like the rest, it's a bit, erm, "different".
Old 07-07-20, 12:37 PM

Ahoy hoy Crapfans!

Despite telling myself that I'd update more often I just don't like showing stuff before it's finished, but the end result today is worth the wait.

So, remember that big package?

It contained a sheet of mild steel, 1000mmx600mmx0.9mm.

It's a heft beast, you don't appreciate how light aluminium is until you start working with steel. Getting this first piece cut was quite an ordeal, having to try and balance it with one hand and cut with the jigsaw with the other hand. Was much easier when I got the first cut in and it fit on the workbench properly.

Now I had thought that the corners of the piece that came would be nice and square, but they were slightly out so my piece ended up a bit off and needed some careful adjustments.

Filing the 0.9mm steel was a lot tougher than the 2mm alu too, was really hard going and took 2 days to get it finished, but finally had a nice square piece exactly 360x460

Which will be a new motherboard tray and pass-through plate.

This bottom left corner has a bit of a tricky profile to it, which meant the sheet wouldn't sit flush.

At least until I gave it the profile to match

This sheet isn't replacing the original motherboard tray, as that provides a lot of the rigidity and support for the case. To attach the new one, I'll be drilling the motherboard mounting holes through it, then sitting it on top of the original motherboard mounts and screwing the new one's into them. To get the hole positions I clamped the trays together, used a Sharpie to put a mark where the hole was and a centre punch to scribe the centre.

With the hole positions marked out it was time for drilling.

I started with a 2mm hole so I could check the positioning and adjust the hole for any errors in either the marking or drilling. There were a couple that were a bit off, but I was able to pull them back to the correct position with a round needle file and then my 6" smooth cut round file, also using them to enlarge the rest until they were all 3.5mm and centred.

To give me more room for the fittings, tubing and cables I took out the original cable holes out with my Dremel. Sadly, when removing the lip on the motherboard tray it attached to, my Dremel died But at least he died doing what he loved best, destroying cases

Now with the motherboard and CPU block having new custom armour, the clear plexi block would look a little vulnerable so...

Getting the design sorted was such a faff. it was just small enough to fit onto an A4 sheet of paper. "Brilliant" I thought, "I can make the design in SketchUp and print it out so it's nice and accurate ". Could I get it to print out properly scaled? Could I heck. Spent ages searching for how to guides, none of which worked when I tried. Sod it, I'll just draw it, but at least I can set the Division 2 logo size in paint.net and print that properly...... Nope. That wanted to play silly-beggars too. I ended up putting the picture into word and setting it's size using the margin ruler to get the right size printed. I glued the paper to the sheet of alu I'd be using, drew the pattern onto it by hand, cut out an 80mmx80mm square with my Stanley knife for the logo and glued that in.

First up I drilled out the outer circle using a 3.5mm bit. In hindsight I should have used a 3mm bit as the 3.5mm didn't leave much room for error, of which there were a few

I had planned on filing that out before doing anything to the '2', but luckily I realised if I did that, there would be very little holding it in placed when drilling and filing, so that got drilled out too and was the first bit to be filed.

Came out just perfectly

Here you can see where the drill has strayed over, so annoying, but I should be able to work it in ok.

The circle was MUCH tougher to do than the '2', with such a small space to work in. I'd increased the size of the 2 from the original design so you'd be able to see more of the block through it. It was easier than trying to get the circle thicker, but I wish I'd spent a bit more time trying to get the circle thicker. Still looks great though and good to finally have something Division related going into the mod.

With the logo pretty much done it was time to get the rest of the shape out.

In no time I had it filed out and stripped the paper off. I needed to get a better look at the circle and see what needed doing. The 2 looks perfect though, just needs the burrs on the edges taking off.

Couldn't resist getting it on the block for sneak peek.

It wasn't till I was doing my morning download of pics that I realised I'd forgotten to file out the gap for the power connectors <_< Had to redraw the pattern on the metal and hope I'd filed the rest accurately enough not to put the measurements out.

Soon had the gap done though and afterwards I set to work tidying it all up. I did some work on the circle to smooth and even it out and deburred it all. I'd also started work on trying to sand out all the little pock marks where I'd got a little "overenthusiastic" with the needle file

I'd also filed a small bevel around the edge of the piece to soften it up.

Much MUCH sanding and brushing later...

I hadn't been able to remove the pock marks entirely, let’s just call them battle damage Still looks

Now it was time to make it a shell. I used my square files to cut a grove in the sheet to make the bends cleaner and easier.

No bending brake here. Just some steel grips for my workbench and a bit of brute force.

What I hadn't accounted for was that the hole for the power cables making that section very tricky (and unwilling) to bend. There may have been a hammer involved The tab on the side didn't go smoothly either, I hadn't removed enough material for the bend to go 90degrees, so I had to bend it back to file some more out then try bending again. This unfortunately led to stress fractures forming on the edge, might be able to do something about them, will have to research that. If anyone has any tips that'd be much appreciated.

You might just be able to make out the be able to make out the errant edge here. Hopefully I can smooth it out, maybe a light hammer tap and a sand?

It doesn't look bad though

Now I was going to end the update here, but then this morning I thought, why not put everything together for a few shots? I'm going to try and gets updates out more regularly, every couple of days in the morning when I have a bit of time in between my morning physio that gets me moving again, along with a Columbia's worth of coffee So stay tuned Crapfans! Same Crap time, same Crap channel. Until next time.....

(*larger expandable pics)

Old Today, 11:37 AM

Ahoy hoy techerinos!

Time for an update already?

Yes Ralph, in the first attempt at mini updates (that may or may not be mini in size), yesterday’s work seemed as good a point as any to pop in some progress.

The original plan was to measure and drill out all the pass-through holes before bending, but having seen from the GPU shroud how much difficulty a hole added to bending I thought it best to get that done first. So first up was scoring a bend line in, which was really hard work in the "mild" steel. I was almost tempted to get the Dremel out, but the chances of cutting right through would be too high. After a few little sessions I got what I thought would be deep enough, it's only 0.9mm thick after all.

Dodgy Bending Break Mark1. I have 1"x1" aluminium angle in the workmate jaws, quick-grip clamps holding 2 galvanised steel angle pieces onto the sheet as well as acting as arms to bend. It got a small bend in but the clamps quickly hit the surface of the workmate and it would go no further. <_< This is why I had originally wanted a Black and Decker one where you could make one of the pieces vertical for clamping on top of the other. Would have made this so much easier.

I also hadn't positioned the steel pieces very well and the bend hadn't formed on the score line properly, with the tray bending with it. To correct this, I clamped the 2 steel angles to it, making sure they were right on that line, then used a G clamp to force them together and straighten it out. Actually worked very well

Dark clouds drew in and started emptying on the shed, so I had to close the doors to. This left it very dark inside so I had to come up with a lighting solution to get more of the shed lit up.

Dodgy Bending Break Mark2. Sheet flat on the workmate, but the workmate bows in the middle so a flatter piece had to be put on top, steel angle over the edge to strengthen it. Then another steel angle over the top of the sheet with a piece of wood across to try and make the pressure more uniform. Then a piece of steel angle either side of the part to be bent up, secured with 2 grip clamps and the G clamp holding it in the middle. But the steel angle just isn't thick or strong enough and the sheet I'm bending start deforming where there's no clamping as soon as I start putting pressure on it.

Dodgy Bending Break Mark 2.1.

It surprisingly worked ok, but again the score line didn't really assist the bend much. You can see there's a decent amount taken out, so

Thankfully the old G clamp squeeze came to the rescue and flattened it out nicely.

I got the file back into the groove to take out a little more material, see if we couldn't get the bend to behave and then lay it down to contemplate my next move. And then it hit me Use the jaws of the workmate to put the squeeze on it and get it bent that last bit.

Dodgy Bending Break Mark 3. Aluminium angle on the jaws (I know it's softer than the steel but it has a nice sharp clean edge), sheet placed with groove on the edge of the alu, 2 steel angles and a wood beam clamped over the top. I slowly turned the screws and got it evened up and slightly tensioned, then began tightening them up properly.

It went ok at first. When it started getting really tough, I’d have to do one handle at a time with both hands, it required the kind of strength I just don't have at the minute so took a while with having to break often. I'd tighten it as much as I could, then slack off a little, then tighten it back up, sometimes offering a little "encouragement" from the hammer on either the beam across the top or the sides of the workmate. Eventually it was pretty dam closed and just wouldn't budge.

The piece was really good and squished in the jaws, the top was a little rounded and not properly flush, so with a small piece of wood and the hammer I beat the edge into it as best I could.

Ended up pretty decent

And fits nice and snug with room for the thick 360.

Short(ish) and sweet today, but be sure to catch the next episode. Same Crap time, same Crap channel.
Old Today, 12:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Hory shet. That block looks absolutely amazing. Eat your heart out Water Cool !