Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 21-04-20, 03:17 PM

Project: I.S.A.C - Thermaltake 2020 Case Mod Challenge

Hi-diddly-hey modderinos!

Welcome to the project log of my entry in the Thermaltake 2020 Case Mod Challenge; Project: I.S.A.C. - themed on Tom Clancy's The Division 2, a game by Ubisoft Massive.

For the competition, 5 of us have been given the same components to do a case mod with and we have until 15th June to complete our mods. I'll try and post regular updates to keep you updated on the progress. A huge thanks to all of the sponsors for making this competition possible; Thermaltake UK, Scan Computers UK, AMD, ASUS and Seagate. First off lets have look at the parts we'll be using for the mod:

Thermaltake View 51 Tempered Glass Snow ARGB Edition

Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W PSU

Thermaltake ThoughRAM RGB 32GB 3000MHz

Seagate FireCuda 520 500GB M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Seagate IronWolf Pro 14TB NAS 3.5" SATA HDD

ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

ASUS Radeon RX 5700 8GB

300mm Thermaltake TT Premium PCIe 3.0 Extender

Thermaltake TtMod Sleeved Cables & Combs Kit

Pacific V-RX 5700 Series Plus GPU Waterblock

Thermaltake Pacific C360 DDC Hard Tube Water Cooling Kit and Hard Tube Bending Kit

Again huge thanks to Thermaltake UK, Scan Computers UK, AMD, ASUS and Seagate for sponsoring the competition. I'll be back soon with some progress, so stay tuned Crap fans. Same Crap time, same Crap channel.

Old 21-04-20, 05:55 PM

Here's a video with a little about my history with modding, a more in-depth look at the parts.

Please note the competition has now ended.
Old 21-04-20, 06:08 PM

Test Build Time Lapse

I've sometimes done builds where I have an idea in my head of what I want to do, I might even have sketched some quick plans of what I want, but when I come to actually do the build I find things don't fit in like I thought they would. Sometimes it can be solves with a couple more parts or fittings, but sometimes when things REALLY don't fit, you have to scrap then plan all together, or get drastic with a Dremel.

I had to make sure that all the components worked, so what better way to do that and get to know the case properly than do a complete build in it! Whilst this is quite different from the final configuration of the mod, it has allowed me to evaluate some of my design ideas while building and try/figure a few things out.

So sit back, put your feet up and enjoy the ride.
Old 21-04-20, 06:10 PM

Just a few pictures from the test build, includes some "behind the scenes" (and by scenes i mean motherboard tray )

A Spaghetti mess of cables

Cable Management just means you managed to get them in, right?

In these difficult times there's no tissue available for leak testing. Fingers crossed!

Pretty from pretty much any angle.

A look with the lights on (wish I'd taken a few more picks like this)

All working A-OK

While editing my mouse kept catching on something and I saw this poking off the bottom. 6-7 years of owning my R.A.T. 7 and this sticker has only just come off.

I never thought editing would be such a PITA.

Stay tuned Crap fans! Another little update should be hitting you soon. Same Crap time, same Crap Channel.
Old 21-04-20, 06:43 PM

Break Down and Modding Begins

Ahoy hoy Modderinos!

So now we've tested everything works. It's time to break it all down and start modding!

I can't believe how well the case stood up to the pelting I gave it, just shows the quality of the finish on the case. There's a lot of sharp, jagged, pointy edges on those stones and they've really not done much at all. Really going to have to give it some welly to rough it up like I want.

The brick on the other hand did manage to leave a mark....

....and a bit of a dent.....

....but nothing that wasn't easily fixable.

Now it's time to get serious and bring out the big guns :dremel: :naughty:

This will be my home for the next couple of months, best get comfortable.

That's all for now folks. Don't worry, there's already PLENTY of damage dealt already for the next update, so stay tuned Crapfans! Same Crap time, same Crap Channel.
Old 21-04-20, 06:46 PM

Things Get Brutal

Ahoy hoy modderinos!

After my woeful attempt to cause any damage with rather unorthodox methods, it's time to get back to good old fashioned power tools.

I didn't really have a defined plan for what i wanted or how I was going to do it, just more of an idea of how I wanted it to look. I decided to tackle the back panel first, as that would be taking the brunt of the damage and I could try a few things out. First up I had to get rid of those nice neat grills.

The jigsaw cut through them so much easier than I thought it would, so glad I've got it in the toolkit as it would have taken an absolute age with a dremel. The Dremel is good for getting the smaller bits and grindin stuff out though.

But in those small places it can get caught up and break discs, which is why safety gear is an absolute must. You may look a bit funny, but losing an eye is not.

I didn't want to make it too perfect, so i left some of the protruding bits and gave it all a quick file to take any sharp rough edges off.

Then things took a bit more of a drastic turn. Armed with a couple of hammers, a screwdriver and a chisel, I dented up and scored out this line and put a little gouge in with the Dremel, as though someone had tried to smash their way in. It will be developed further as I go along, build it up a bit at a time.

Next up I started putting some wear marks in places that would get a lot of action and likely to get bashed a bit. These bits were done with a grinding stone bit on the Dremel.

The edges took a beating from a sanding wheel, as well as some other areas of the panel, wearing off some of the paint to varying degrees.

To try and blend those in I thought I'd try a wire wheel, and while it did work to an extent, it mostly just left a mark on the panel, the metal rubbing off on this extremely sturdy paint. Now as luck would have it, it was exactly the kind of grubby look I'd wanted to put in places, give it a dirty man-handled effect.

Here you can see someone's dirty fingerprints and wear where the panel would be pinched on along the front edge.

I don't entirely know what I was going for on this bit, I was kind of experimenting with different bits and seeing what happened. I did get some nice deep score/scratch mark across the panel bit these 2 bits though.

Now the panel is largely finished in terms of damage and relieving it of it's paint. I might give some sections a very light sanding to blend some of it in and there's a little painting and other touches, but overall I like the brutality of it. It should contrast nicely with the clean clinical look I'll be going for in the front chamber.

Perhaps most importantly, it still fits and functions as as panel! :clap:

Against the clean rear side of the case you can really get an idea of difference and what a hard life that right hand side has had.

As have these little troopers, god rest their shanks.

That's all for now folks until the next update of more damage and destruction and I attempt to blend in that panel to the rest of the case. So stay tuned Crapfans! Same Crap time, same Crap Channel.
Old 21-04-20, 06:50 PM
OC3D Elite

That's far more in keeping with what most of us on this forum would like to do to a TT case lol.

Fat baby number two approves.

And yes, that is towel fluff up my nostril.

Old 21-04-20, 08:47 PM

Old 22-04-20, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
That's far more in keeping with what most of us on this forum would like to do to a TT case lol.
LOL.

I do love the weathered/beaten look.

Old 22-04-20, 05:12 AM
OC3D Elite

That ThermalTake case looks very identical to the Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic (or whatever it’s name is), which was made in partnership with der8auer.