Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 30-11-11, 01:36 PM
malarky13 malarky13 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: North East
Posts: 206
Just looked on ASUS website and theres a new BIOS that says it has support for 22nm CPU's does this mean that my board will accept Ivybridge. I have a p8p67 Deluxe

__________________
removed for being to big
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30-11-11, 01:46 PM
dugdiamond's Avatar
dugdiamond dugdiamond is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 4,690
IB will be an entirely new socket, to those on the market today

typo - i meant chipset NOT socket
__________________
Prepare for the worst. Assume losing. Then... if the opposite occurs... BONUS!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30-11-11, 01:51 PM
hmmblah's Avatar
hmmblah hmmblah is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdiamond View Post

IB will be an entirely new socket, to those on the market today
I thought there was going to be an 1155 and 2011 version of IB? I haven't kept up with the news though so I could be mistaken.
__________________
CaseLabs Mercury S3 | AMD 3900X | ROG CH8 Impact | RTX 2080 Super | 16GB DDR4 | 1TB NVMe
Acer Predator Z35P


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30-11-11, 01:52 PM
sheroo's Avatar
sheroo sheroo is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: U.K.
Posts: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post

I thought there was going to be an 1155 and 2011 version of IB? I haven't kept up with the news though so I could be mistaken.
Thats what I thought - its just a die shrink isn't it?
__________________
"All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was."

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30-11-11, 01:55 PM
hmmblah's Avatar
hmmblah hmmblah is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheroo View Post

Thats what I thought - its just a die shrink isn't it?
AFAIK yes. Not sure if anything else is changing.
__________________
CaseLabs Mercury S3 | AMD 3900X | ROG CH8 Impact | RTX 2080 Super | 16GB DDR4 | 1TB NVMe
Acer Predator Z35P


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 30-11-11, 02:01 PM
sheroo's Avatar
sheroo sheroo is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: U.K.
Posts: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmblah View Post

AFAIK yes. Not sure if anything else is changing.
According to this :-

"Reports are now starting to come in that the Ivy Bridge CPUs will indeed be compatible with the H67 and P67 chipsets, something which should make a lot of people happy"
__________________
"All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was."

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 30-11-11, 02:05 PM
Bungral Bungral is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,387
That's been known for ages.

Ivy Bridge will work on P67 just minus whatever features the new chipset enables.
__________________
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 30-11-11, 02:09 PM
sheroo's Avatar
sheroo sheroo is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: U.K.
Posts: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdiamond View Post

IB will be an entirely new socket, to those on the market today
Where did you get this info from then dude?
__________________
"All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was."

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 30-11-11, 02:28 PM
SieB's Avatar
SieB SieB is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dudley
Posts: 8,138
Yep, Ivy Bridge is 1155 and will work on P67 and Z68 but Intel are also releasing the Z77 chipset for Ivy Bridge which will have a few different on board features but it will still be 1155 socket.

Also, if you are using a P67 or Z68 motherboard with Ivy Bridge unless it's a Gen 3 only the first x16 PCI-E lane will run as PCI-E 3.

IB-E is said to be compatible with the 2011 socket and x79 chipset but as with Ivy Bridge there will most likely be another chipset with features that x79 doesn't have.

Ivy Bridge will still work in the older 1155 motherboards, you just won't have full PCI-E 3 if it's a non Gen 3 board and less features if it's not a Z77 chipset board, same goes for IB-E.
__________________
NZXT Switch 810 - Ryzeny 3600 - Gigabyte X570 Gaming - 32GB Corsair Platinum SE - MSI Gaming 1070 - Crucial MX100 256GB SSD - Crucial MX500 500GB SSD - Samsung F3 1TB HDD - Corsair H100 - Corsair RM1000i SE - Asus VE247H

PC Audio: Asus Xonar STX - Sennheiser HD650.
Portable Audio: FiiO X3II - Audiofly AF140 - Etymotic ER4s - Fidue A83.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30-11-11, 02:31 PM
hmmblah's Avatar
hmmblah hmmblah is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by SieB View Post

Yep, Ivy Bridge is 1155 and will work on P67 and Z68 but Intel are also releasing the Z77 chipset for Ivy Bridge which will have a few different on board features but it will still be 1155 socket.

Also, if you are using a P67 or Z68 motherboard with Ivy Bridge unless it's a Gen 3 only the first x16 PCI-E lane will run as PCI-E 3.

IB-E is said to be compatible with the 2011 socket and x79 chipset but as with Ivy Bridge there will most likely be another chipset with features that x79 doesn't have.

Ivy Bridge will still work in the older 1155 motherboards, you just won't have full PCI-E 3 if it's a non Gen 3 board and less features if it's not a Z77 chipset board, same goes for IB-E.
Thanks for clearing that up.
__________________
CaseLabs Mercury S3 | AMD 3900X | ROG CH8 Impact | RTX 2080 Super | 16GB DDR4 | 1TB NVMe
Acer Predator Z35P


Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 03:59 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.