Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Forum Teams > Redline Folding @ OC3D - 98860

Old 07-01-12, 07:31 PM

Send a message via MSN to chrisjones
hey, i've just downloaded the [email protected] software, and have just started it up, and joined the OC3D team, my pc specs are intel core 2 quad q8200 @2.33Ghz, I know, I haven't overclocked or anything, but I'm waiting for the money for new parts, does the graphics card make much difference in folding, cause my main pc is currently on built in intel graphics. my question is, will my pc be powerful enough to run folding at home, and what actually is it.

cheers guys

Fractal Node 304, Asus Z87I-Pro, Intel i5 4670K @4.2GHz, Corsair LP 8GB RAM, Gainward GTX960, Corsair RM550, Corsair H75, Sandisk Ultra II 240GB SSD, 1x WD RED 3TB, 4x WD Green 2TB
Old 07-01-12, 08:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCJ View Post

hey, i've just downloaded the [email protected] software, and have just started it up, and joined the OC3D team, my pc specs are intel core 2 quad q8200 @2.33Ghz, I know, I haven't overclocked or anything, but I'm waiting for the money for new parts, does the graphics card make much difference in folding, cause my main pc is currently on built in intel graphics. my question is, will my pc be powerful enough to run folding at home, and what actually is it.

cheers guys
Intel + Nvidia = Lots of points

AMD + ATI = Not worth the time of day

Makes a big difference, [email protected] is grossly biased.

Subroutine
Lubuntu 12.10 | 2880x1024 | AMD E-350

Old 07-01-12, 08:42 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCJ View Post

cheers guys
Your chip, a quad core, is well worth folding on. You could easily overclock it abit even on a stock fan & heatsink. But I know this is not for everyone so do not feel pressured into doing something you don't want to do... but should you want to and need some help we will gladly help (I hope the other guy here don't mind me saying that on their behalf).

The graphics card doesn't make a difference in folding, as such. There are 2 different types of folding programs. One that runs on the CPU (this isn't effected by the gpu) and one that folds on the graphics card, this is in addition to or instead of the CPU.

So by all means fold on your quad core, the intel gpu wont hold it back. You would just be able to run another client on the gpu if you had an nvidia or amd/ati card for extra points.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Old 07-01-12, 08:46 PM
OC3D Elite

'The graphics card doesn't make a difference in folding, as such.'

Sir, have you ever folded on an AMD card?

Subroutine

Old 07-01-12, 08:50 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Protocol View Post

'The graphics card doesn't make a difference in folding, as such.'

Sir, have you ever folded on an AMD card?
What I meant was, it doesn't matter what GPU you have if you're just folding on the CPU.

Old 07-01-12, 08:51 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickster View Post

What I meant was, it doesn't matter what GPU you have if you're just folding on the CPU.
Yeah, but for GPU folding (which you would be loco in the cabasa not to) you want a Nvidia card.

Subroutine

Old 07-01-12, 08:55 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Protocol View Post

Yeah, but for GPU folding (which you would be loco in the cabasa not to) you want a Nvidia card.
I agree that, if you specifially want to do GPU folding then yeah, you want an nVidia card. But for people who are just using what they already have, as in DJCJs case, then just folding on his Q8200 isn't worthless and his onboard intel GPU isn't going to hold back the CPU client.

Old 07-01-12, 10:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickster View Post

I agree that, if you specifially want to do GPU folding then yeah, you want an nVidia card. But for people who are just using what they already have, as in DJCJs case, then just folding on his Q8200 isn't worthless and his onboard intel GPU isn't going to hold back the CPU client.
Of course not.

Even if you don't want to overclock your CPU, if you don't care much for the motherboard, you can overclock it's CPU/NB or equivilant for better [email protected] performance (pretty hard to kill a board by OCing it unless you were colour blind and couldn't see the red flashing voltage warning)

Subroutine

Old 07-01-12, 10:09 PM
OC3D Elite

All that CAN Fold and is ON anyway IS worth it !!!

Come onnnnnnnn Team 98860 guys ! where the hell is the real [email protected] spirit

Greetings Ray.........
Old 07-01-12, 10:42 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnW View Post

All that CAN Fold and is ON anyway IS worth it !!!

Come onnnnnnnn Team 98860 guys ! where the hell is the real [email protected] spirit

Greetings Ray.........
If you've got it, fold on it!!!!!!!!!!!