Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section

Old 01-07-12, 05:39 PM
OC3D Elite

You could try running Memtest86+ to check if it is indeed your memory which is at fault.

Ok, so i've looked your motherboard up and it uses the same BIOS as mine.
I'm going to give some instructions on how to flash your BIOS to the latest applicable version.

Firstly, you'll need a USB pen drive. It doesn't have to be a large one, but you'll need to format it to FAT32. Then, download this archived file (http://uk.msi.com/service/download/bios-17923.html) and unzip it when downloaded.
Place the .AMI file onto your memory stick, then power down your system. Power up, and enter the UEFI. On the right hand side of the screen you shall see a tile named 'Utilities'. Click on that, and locate the 'M-Flash' option. After clicking on that, there should be an option to locate the file from within a USB drive. Select your USB drive, and then click the .AMI file that's on there - the BIOS shall begin to flash itself.
When it's done, the computer shall restart itself.
Note: any settings that you had changed in the UEFI shall be reset, so you may want to change them back before you boot into Windows.

Hope this helps you, for if Memtest and a BIOS flash doesn't, a clean install of Win7 is the last port of call before MSI need to be contacted.

Best of luck.

Old 01-07-12, 10:22 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. Really appreciate it
I think I will try the memtest tomorrow and if my RAM comes back dodgy then I will try some of my mates RAM for the day and see if things work with his RAM. If things work with other RAM then new RAM it shall be lol. (How many times did I say RAM in this message? :P)
Old 01-07-12, 10:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Six =[
Old 02-07-12, 12:29 AM
OC3D Elite

bad ram stick is not going to make the gpu work one time and not another.

Intel 7700K
Aorus Z270 Gaming K7
2x8GB GSKILL Trident Z 3200MHz
Intel SSD6 256Gb x2 in Raid 0
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
EVGA GTX1080 FTW2 iCX Heat Killer IV block
Custom water Cooled Hardware Labs GTS360/240
ThermalTake Grand RGB 1000w PSU
Corsair Crystal 570X

Old 02-07-12, 02:26 PM

Well, I tried to do the memtest and it starts, does the test for anywhere between 2 and 25 seconds then just stops. No errors come up, just stops. Won't allow me to hit esc to get out of it so I just have to manually restart. I recorded a vid of it on my phone and I'm uploading it to YouTube now to show what happens. Will link you to it when it uploads as my internet is a pile of poo.
Old 02-07-12, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_I_N View Post
bad ram stick is not going to make the gpu work one time and not another.
Don't know if that's still the problem as it hasn't done that in months.
Old 02-07-12, 02:33 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm not really acquainted with Memtest all that much, but from what I can put together one of two things has gone wrong;
-The file on the DVD that you booted from (or whatever media you used) corrupted - not entirely unheard of, just unlucky.
-It's the motherboard's fault.

Apart from recommending a BIOS flash, there's not much advice I can give. S_I_N is most likely far more adept at this than I, so I shall leave it to him and the others
Old 02-07-12, 02:37 PM
OC3D Elite

I had an issue with my GPU yesterday. It was working fine and then all of a sudden when I did anything GPU intensive, my PC wouldn't crash per say or even BSOD. My issue was with both of my monitors turning off completely when I either started [email protected] on the GPU or if I played any game.

Your problems are not the same but what I did might help you. It is very likely that it will not make a difference, but what I did was set the PCI Express Link State Power Management setting to 'Off' and I've not had any issues since (touch wood - it's only been a day, but everything seems A-OK now). I read that with the setting on it can cause issues with Graphics Cards.

EDIT: Regarding Memtest, all you need to do is burn the iso file onto the disc and reboot, which you have done, so I'm not sure what is causing the issue there. Did you burn the latest version of Memtest on to the disc?
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX || Memory: 16GB - Mushkin Blackline 8GB + Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB || SSD's + HDD's: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (OS + Programs) + Caviar Black 2TB (Games + Storage) || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + Dell U3818DW

Old 02-07-12, 02:48 PM

Hmm, might have to have a look into that if flashing mobo bios does nothing. Just wondering, what does flashing the bios do? Like will I have to reinstall things or is all my data kept?

And yes, version 4.0 of memtest. Trying to upload the video from my phone but my phones having a spaz attack now and just keeps failing the upload... FML
Old 02-07-12, 02:52 PM
OC3D Elite

All data is kept, but your BIOS settings are reset. It will reset your RAM, CPU etc. to factory settings - stock clocks.

Tags
crashes, rig problems