Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Software Section

Old 02-06-13, 04:40 AM

Angry Is it my Pc or Steam?

So I built my Pc about a month ago and it was working amazingly and I had no problem what so ever ... apart from my internet but that's for another time ... and i was playing Tomb Raider (new one) all happy and just the other day about 6-7 days ago my computer started running really slow, the transfer rate to one hard drive to another is mind numbly painful, so I opened my case to have a quick look and see if it was my cable that I've moved round, so I moved them all back to there original place ... still no luck... so this point I tried and have a look on my hard drives to see if it was one of them slowing it down, i couldn't find anything.

So at this point I'm really wondering what the hell is going on, I try to move all my steam games to my external hard drive so I can format it so I know its not my hard drive (one of them anyway) and that just took the and then stopped after 230GB, so I just give up and re-install windows 7 back onto my SSD and I think it made an improvement but its not what it was like when I first had it, and now I've installed everything back and I've got steam back I boot it up and it opens (which is a good sign) but it takes ages to load a page (which most likely my internet speed) and i decided to get angry birds because i wanted to pass the time so installed it no problem but when I'd tried to play it, it crashes ... i mean COME ON!, angry birds is most easiest game to play out of my library ... so i look into this problem and it turn out you may need to update your bios, so i did, booted up steam started angry birds the window came up and i saw "Rovio" and then the title screen and before the play button came up ... yep you guessed it .. it crashed.

So on the break down ... I'm about I<-------->I this much away from throwing my Pc out of my window...

If anyone can help me that would be much appreciated and if your wondering what my pc specs are then I'm put them down at the bottom thank you for reading and sorry about my rate/asking for help if your gonna put in just over £1000 into a pc you'd expect it to work.. ha ha..

-PC SPECS-
Asus P8Z77-v LX2 - Motherboard
i5 - 3570k @ 3.4Ghz - CPU
16GB Ram @ 1866 - Ram
120Gb SSD - Windows is installed on this one
2tb WD Caviar Black - Basicly still got my games/saves on and not much else (of importance)
750GB - back up HD
GTX660 - GPU

Old 02-06-13, 04:48 AM
OC3D Elite

ok first of all calm down, I had my pc randomly shut down for over a month until I found the problem, rushing things won't help.

Have you installed the chipset drivers for the motherboard, I usually find that those are the cause for slow transfer speeds, although it is pretty strange that it started all at once.

Also try using CCleaner and give the registries and temporary data a cleanup.

Old 02-06-13, 05:01 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Don't have CCleaner fix any resgistry problems.. it often screws it up and down the road screws you over. Is the HDD in ahci mode?
Old 02-06-13, 05:08 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Don't have CCleaner fix any resgistry problems.. it often screws it up and down the road screws you over. Is the HDD in ahci mode?
I've been using it for a couple of years now and never had any problems.

Old 02-06-13, 05:16 AM
AMD Enthusiast

I don't trust software when it comes to my registry... unless i have no other choice.
Plus why waste time downloading a potential virus when disk cleanup does the exact same thing.
Old 02-06-13, 08:28 AM
OC3D Elite

Your motherboard only supports 1886 as an overclock try dropping down to 1600.
Old 02-06-13, 08:28 AM
The Webmaster

don't trust automated registry cleaners, they almost always cause issues. Sorry but no.

Okay the checklist!

1) When you said 'switched some cables around'... can you expand on this, what EXACTLY did you move around?

2) download and install crystal disk mark (You can grab that from here: Crystal Disk Mark) Run that and take a screen shot of each drive.

3) What brand is the SSD? Were you running it to full capacity (100% full)

4) Have you installed all the drivers for your motherboard properly? You can have a look in device manager for items that are not recognised properly by clicking on start menu (hoping you're on windows 7 here). Right click my computer, properties, then up the top left go into device manager. Look for any of the yellow caution signs.. again stick us a screenshot on here.

Answer a few of those and come back to us.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 02-06-13, 12:14 PM
OC3D Elite

This looks like a read issue to me i.e. there are read errors on one of the drives. I had the same issue with my caviar black, which was promptly RMA'd
Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro (B3) || CPU: i7 2600k || Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX || Memory: 16GB - Mushkin Blackline 8GB + Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB || SSD's + HDD's: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB (OS + Programs) + Caviar Black 2TB (Games + Storage) || CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 || Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P9 750W || Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D || Monitor(s): Dell U2410 + Dell U3818DW

Old 02-06-13, 05:28 PM

Ok, first off thanks for all the reply's.

i want to start of with saying I've used CCleaner in the past but i didn't think it helped much at all but if you think it will work then il look into it again.

secondly im not sure how to check if my hard drive is in ahci mode and do you mean my C drive (SSD) or my D drive (HD).

and ok ... ready ... so i have 2 x SATA 6.0Gb/s and 4 x SATA 3.0GB/s and i 3 hard drives and 1 optical drive and only 3 data cable ... but I've bought another data cable ... and when i first building my pc i just wanted to see if everything worked nd i installed windows on my 750gb hard drive and i just had that then i added the SSD which was fine because there both 6Gb/s so i but them both in the 6gb/s sata ports and then i got a 2tb hard drive which til last week was in the 3gb/s port so i swapped the 750GB and the 2TB hard drives around, but i kept the SSD in the same place.

at the moment i just have my SSD, my 2tb hard drive and my optical drive plugged in, the 750gb is still in my case but not pluged in.

my SSD is OCZ vertex 3, my 2 tb is WD caviar black and my 750Gb is western digital but not sure what it actually is.

so i found a CD with all my chipset drivers and such in my motherboard box ... i didnt even know it as there ... but I've installed them now but it doesn't seem to off changed anything.

I think ive narrowed it down to my 2tb Hard drive because i uninstalled angry birds from my 2 tb and installed it on my SSD and it works fine.

one last thing sorry for the last response and thanks for all your help.
Old 02-06-13, 05:48 PM
The Webmaster

I'll say again, I really, seriously wouldn't bother with cc cleaner, grab crystal disk and test each drive and lets see if it's slowing down significantly.

OCZ drives aren't known for lasting forever btw..
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!

Tags
angry birds, help needed, not working, steam