Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Rig Gallery

Old 09-07-13, 09:10 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySuper View Post
Thanks again guys! Considering the limitations of the case, do you guys have any advice for me on what I could have done better with the cable management? I'm always looking for new tricks
With those style HDD cages you can poke zip ties through the holes and tie down cables to the cage. Gives you some more space to hide some extra cables near the front. You do have an SSD mounted there though.

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 09-07-13, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
With those style HDD cages you can poke zip ties through the holes and tie down cables to the cage.
That's a good idea. Ill try that next time. Do you have a pic as an example?
Gigabyte GA-Z77-UP5 TH - Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.6Ghz (EK Supreme LTX) - Sapphire HD 7970 (EK full cover block + backplate) - G. Skill Sniper 16GB 2133 - 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD - 2x 1TB WD Green RAID 0 - 2TB WD Green - XSPC D5 Vario Dual Bay Res
Old 09-07-13, 11:29 AM
OC3D Elite

I don't really, sorry.

If I can find the time this weekend I'll try to find my Shinobi case, toss some cables in and snap some pictures for ya

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 09-07-13, 11:36 AM

Hey thanks Rick! That would be awesome.
Gigabyte GA-Z77-UP5 TH - Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.6Ghz (EK Supreme LTX) - Sapphire HD 7970 (EK full cover block + backplate) - G. Skill Sniper 16GB 2133 - 120GB Kingston Hyper X SSD - 2x 1TB WD Green RAID 0 - 2TB WD Green - XSPC D5 Vario Dual Bay Res
Old 15-07-13, 09:19 AM
OC3D Elite

Bit late, but as promised:

This is a Shinobi case. The best way to do this is when you have both side panels off. My HDD cages are completely toolless, which means that *every* bay has these plastic clips on them. These require removal in order to mount a drive, however, you can also just take them off, not mount a drive, and well... Just leave them off!

Doing that will give you (in my case (no pun intended)) 3 round holes and 2 more different ones:

You find the holes closest together, poke a zip-tie through one, reach from the other side and push it back through the other hole. You then push your cables to the HDD cage and pull the zip-tie to secure it all into place.

In this case I've done a quick mock-up build for you and I found that I only had 2 Sata cables and a fan cable that I needed to tie up there, so I grabbed a random Sata power cable bundle and threw it in there.

As you can see, the HDD cages are rather small and therefore offer a lot of space between the cage and the side panel:

If you find your zip ties are too short, you can easily tie their end to eachother and so creating a longer zip tie. You could also tie cables to other cables that are already tied into place

Old 15-07-13, 12:41 PM

Rick. Thank you so much for taking the time to take these pics for me. I have said it before but there is no better pc community on the Internet. I will definitely try your advice next time I work with a case like this.

This absolutely made my day. Thanks again.

-Jon D.
Old 15-07-13, 12:49 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnySuper View Post
Rick. Thank you so much for taking the time to take these pics for me. I have said it before but there is no better pc community on the Internet. I will definitely try your advice next time I work with a case like this.

This absolutely made my day. Thanks again.

-Jon D.
Not a problem at all, mate!

It'll look even better if you put some sort of metal/plastic sheet between the motherboard tray and the HDD cage (extending the mobo tray)