Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice

Old 27-03-20, 03:22 PM
OC3D Elite

It worked

woohoo.

Old 28-03-20, 05:00 PM
OC3D Elite

And then it stopped lol. Typical Xonar STX fashion. Would play a couple of tunes then click out the relays.

I then removed the SATA power from the riser and it's been rock solid ever since. So it works, it just doesn't need the extra current (and was probably why it was tripping out). I've had it going since 11pm last night and it's perfect.

Treated myself to this.

Which will go in the bottom (or top in my case) slot that is either NVME or M.2 SATA.

I also ordered this for the riser.

And then I found out I was stupid. X570's PCH adds 16 extra lanes. However, even though I ordered two Patriot Viper NVME I can only use one as they have large heatsinks on.

And thus won't fit under the armour. So, I am going to use the SATA drive under there and then fit another of these into the X4 full length slot.

Then I will migrate the OS to that, leaving 1tb NVME for games and 1tb MSATA for music and downloads etc. More than enough.

The new sound card came this morning, so maybe later tonight I will try and get that fitted. IDK though, as I am enjoying a weekend off after running around like mad all week so I could come to mum's and help her out. Cooking, cleaning. All the fun stuff lol.

Old 29-03-20, 08:55 PM
OC3D Elite

OK sound card and riser fitted (and installed and working). SSD worked too, so thanks for the advice there guys.

The blue USB cable looks a bit crap, but I've ordered the above. If they are too long I can just get a black 60cm for about £3.

There is one thing I don't like, mind. The front rad mount thing has 140mm holes and 120mm holes. I am using a double 120, so it looks a bit "gappy". Even though the filter.

So I got these in gunmetal. They are 140, so will cover the gap. I won't be hooking up the RGB but they weren't too cheap given they are alu.

Still, £36 in the grand scheme of things didn't seem too bad.

Old 31-03-20, 01:07 PM
OC3D Elite

OK, those USB cables don't work. So it's plan B.

I've ordered it in two sizes (10mm and 15mm) and will see how I get on. I also got this

So I am sure that I can come up with something more suitable.

The one thing that is super annoying is that the sound cards are not being held at the bottom of the PCIE slot. Even if I had the genuine Lian Li cable it would not stop the secondary input card from doing it. They bend in when you connect things. I had two options. Drill through the bottom of the slot so I could bolt into the holes in the cards (not a fan) or make something out of 8mm acrylic and stick it in with 3m to stop them doing that. I ordered the 3m and acrylic. If that fails I will have to drill the case, but I would rather not.

Old 01-04-20, 05:03 PM
OC3D Elite

Ugh. Decided to hook up the frames. I had to get this to do so.

I wouldn't have, but HWC did a video on the neons today that I was looking at and I cracked.

I suppose it will be nice to actually see the hardware in there.

Old 02-04-20, 09:07 PM
OC3D Elite

Old 03-04-20, 01:59 PM
OC3D Elite

Tonight I will be practising the art of turning the brightness down lol. Got the braid for the USB cable today, but not the other supplies. I did fit the 256gb SSD last night, and it worked fine. GPU has remained at X16 too which is awesome.

I did email myself the benchmarks at stock(ish) but they never arrived and I had come upstairs by that point. I will send them over again tonight.

I also realised that a certain part of the case is removable, so I took it off and sorted out the cables.

So out it came, and it has a load of holes to tie the cables to. Can't believe I didn't notice that before. I'm contemplating running the GPU cables into it and down, but I don't know if they will all fit in there. Something for next time I have it all apart perhaps.

Old 03-04-20, 08:51 PM
OC3D Elite

OK benchmarks from last week. All stock, no PBO. Ram is 3600 16-19-19-40 ATM.

The GPU was around 2145, with drops to 2130. Tonight now that I have enabled PBO and lowered the RAM timings nothing from 3Dmark will even load. It might be a background app (like Armoury for the RGB ) IDK.

Old 06-04-20, 10:21 PM
OC3D Elite

No more yacky blue cable. Still waiting for a couple of things to ship, but we're getting somewhere. I only needed the 10mm braid for the USB, so I am going to use the 15mm on the nasty USB3 header cable.

Old 07-04-20, 01:52 AM
OC3D Elite

Nice and tidy!