Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 07-04-16, 03:07 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 17,996
Quantum Break PC Performance Review

Quantum Break had a bad reputation on PC even before it was released, but is that hatred justified? Let's have a look at Quantum Break's Performance on PC.



Read more on Quantum Break's PC Performance.

__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-04-16, 05:54 PM
AngryGoldfish's Avatar
AngryGoldfish AngryGoldfish is offline
Old N Gold
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,844
For every GTA V, Shadow of Mordor, and Mad Max, with great gameplay, limited bugs and superb performance scaling, there is a Syndicate, Quantum Break, and Gears of War.
__________________
ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero ⁞⁞ Ryzen 1600X 4Ghz ⁞⁞ Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT ⁞⁞ Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps ⁞⁞ G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz
Jonsbo W2 ⁞⁞ Corsair AX760 ⁞⁞ Pexon PC ⁞⁞ Samsung 960 EVO 250GB & 850 EVO 500GB
⁞⁞ Western Digital 1TB Blue & 3TB Green
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-04-16, 08:36 PM
Mysterae's Avatar
Mysterae Mysterae is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 970
Nice write up.

I'm convinced this is a game with a couple of purposes. Firstly, to get Xbone users to try it on their computers as well, to either convince them that PC's are crap or to show them what's better on the PC. They failed at the latter.
Secondly, it's an experiment with UWP on the masses, to see if we will swallow this ****.


You have an important typo on the third page that gave me a glimmer of hope, but alas it's not true - ".. which is a shame since this game has now SLI or Crossfire support".
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-04-16, 10:10 AM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 17,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterae View Post
Nice write up.

I'm convinced this is a game with a couple of purposes. Firstly, to get Xbone users to try it on their computers as well, to either convince them that PC's are crap or to show them what's better on the PC. They failed at the latter.
Secondly, it's an experiment with UWP on the masses, to see if we will swallow this ****.


You have an important typo on the third page that gave me a glimmer of hope, but alas it's not true - ".. which is a shame since this game has now SLI or Crossfire support".
Typo fixed, thanks for the spot.

A lot of extra work went into this one, especially when it came to getting benchmarking data. I like the idea of percentile based framerate data, which is something that I will be looking more into for the future.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-04-16, 11:00 AM
SimplexPL SimplexPL is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2
Quote:
While there has been a lot of talk on the internet about the "terrible" PC performance of Quantum Break I can say that these reports have been exaggerated
(...)
Sadly on my system I was unable to get the game to run at a solid 60FPS, regardless of the GPU that I used (...) which is a very strange prospect given that I was playing Quantum Break from an SSD on a system with an overclocked i7 6700K CPU and 16GB of 3200MHz DDR4 memory.
So you were unable to run at solid 60fps at 1080p (which is effectively 720p if NeoGAF is to be believed) at lowest settings on "overclocked i7 6700K CPU and 16GB of 3200MHz DDR4 memory" and a 980Ti/Fury, yet reports that the game runs terribly are "exaggerated"?
This game runs terribly, period.

Not being able to sustain 60fps at the lowest graphical settings at 1080p (reprojected 720p) on a fastest possible CPU, memory and GPU means, that the talk on the internet about the "terrible" PC performance is accurate, not exaggerated. What is the last AAA game that run that badly?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-04-16, 02:05 PM
Primey Primey is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 17
What a bloody mess of a game
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-04-16, 03:00 PM
SimplexPL SimplexPL is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 2
Quote:
While there has been a lot of talk on the internet about the "terrible" PC performance of Quantum Break I can say that these reports have been exaggerated
No, they are absolutely not exaggerated, as evidenced here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...antum-break-pc

Quote:
Quantum Break has arrived on the PC and to suggest that the results are disappointing would be a massive understatement. PC gamers are left out in the cold with another high profile release failing to deliver expected levels of performance, features and customisation. As things stand, it simply isn't possible to achieve a smooth frame-rate on any PC hardware configuration and thanks to the profound limitations imposed on gamers by the Universal Windows Platform, there's no way to fix it
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-04-16, 03:14 PM
Doothe Doothe is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 6
What monitor did Overclock use to test Quantum Break?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo double posting please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doothe View Post
What monitor did Overclock use to test Quantum Break?
DigitalFoundry showed that Quantum Break has some 5/6th V-sync implementation.The only way for either 960/380 to hit 55 or 56 would be to use a 66 or 67.2 refresh rate monitor. This new dx12 API is asking a lot out of benchmarkers.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-04-16, 09:01 PM
Mysterae's Avatar
Mysterae Mysterae is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Typo fixed, thanks for the spot.

A lot of extra work went into this one, especially when it came to getting benchmarking data. I like the idea of percentile based framerate data, which is something that I will be looking more into for the future.
No problem.

I can imagine the work that goes in to the review. When we (or I) criticise the results, it's game we are disappointed with, not the review.

If you are thinking of using statistics and displaying the data, have a look at box and whisker plot:



Caution, if you're not in to statistics the video below will be a bit dry!



Excel has this as a function so they are easy to produce, although I'm not sure if your audience would get it, and the b&w charts don't tell the whole story.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-04-16, 10:23 PM
WYP's Avatar
WYP WYP is offline
News Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 17,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doothe View Post
What monitor did Overclock use to test Quantum Break?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo double posting please



DigitalFoundry showed that Quantum Break has some 5/6th V-sync implementation.The only way for either 960/380 to hit 55 or 56 would be to use a 66 or 67.2 refresh rate monitor. This new dx12 API is asking a lot out of benchmarkers.
I can't think of the monitor model number off the top of my head, but we are using a Samsung 4K 60Hz monitor for testing. Right now I am looking into acquiring a 144Hz monitor in the future for testing purposes, but right now all I have is 60.

Forced V-Sync on offers a lot of problems for presenting data and as the traditional average FPS data that we used does not really line up with a particular V-Sync interval.

the Average of 55 etc is because the cards stayed at 60 a lot of the time, but suffered a lot of drops to 30 due to v-sync. If we used median for our data, in that case, it would have been 60, though anyone that is not well acquainted with mathematics could find a lot of additional data confusing.

UWP presents a lot of issues of benchmarking, especially when it comes to the tools that we need to use. VR also presents similar issues, with traditional applications like fraps being completely useless when it comes to giving accurate/usable data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterae View Post
No problem.

I can imagine the work that goes in to the review. When we (or I) criticise the results, it's game we are disappointed with, not the review.

If you are thinking of using statistics and displaying the data, have a look at box and whisker plot:



Caution, if you're not in to statistics the video below will be a bit dry!



Excel has this as a function so they are easy to produce, although I'm not sure if your audience would get it, and the b&w charts don't tell the whole story.
New ways of presenting data is certainly something worth considering though it will need to be done in a way that the layman can understand.
__________________
_______________________________
Twitter - @WYP_PC
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 08:30 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.