Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 07-11-15, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Running hot under water

Hey guys, I've just installed custom loop and finished a 24hr leak test and all was good.
So I've powered on my system for the first time and it's running hotter than it did with the H100i, is it just settling or should I be worried.
Do you think I need to re-sit the CPU block and re apply thermal paste?

CPU is 4970k @ 4.4GHz and package temp is 30°c - 40°c idle.
And each core temp is jumping around 29°c plus.

Even when idle the CPU usage seems high.

Any help would be appreciated.

Can do a full spec list if needed.

Old 07-11-15, 11:22 PM
OC3D Elite

check the cpu block, it might not be seated correctly. Common problem is that the cpu copper part is sat ontop of the capacitors on the left side of the cpu socket. If you are using the z97 sabertooth board for example, you need to install the cpu block starting with the left side first so it clears the capacitors.

But 30C at idle is nothing to be worried about. In fact, the most important thing is what the temp is like at load.
Old 07-11-15, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
check the cpu block, it might not be seated correctly. Common problem is that the cpu copper part is sat ontop of the capacitors on the left side of the cpu socket. If you are using the z97 sabertooth board for example, you need to install the cpu block starting with the left side first so it clears the capacitors.

But 30C at idle is nothing to be worried about. In fact, the most important thing is what the temp is like at load.
I'm using the ROG formula VII.
I don't really want to have to drain the loop as it was a pain in the first place lol
But I will do it if need be....

I did Aida64 stress test for 10 mins and it's around 55°c.
But I was expecting a idle temp of about 20°c
Old 08-11-15, 01:50 AM
OC3D Elite

Those idle temps are pretty normal, watercooling is much better at full load, 55 degrees with that overclock is pretty good actually, let it run for an hour to see how hot it really gets.

Watercooling with a radiator will never get colder then your ambient room temperature, and should always be a few degrees above that on idle.
Old 08-11-15, 07:24 AM
OC3D Elite

for an idle temp of 20c you would need a res that held about 40L of fluid lol. and then enough rads to keep that fluid at 20c. *presuming ambient temps are 20c*

but your fully load temp wouldn't be far off the same temperature then lol.

I idle at 30-35c
see how it does with prime.
Old 08-11-15, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Cheers for your help guys.
I did a bit of research and spoke to JR.
I ran aida64 for a good half hour and still averaged around 55°c which he said was fine.
I probably just jumped the gun being a first time I've done a custom loop aha but over all I'm happy with it I will be updating my previous build log with pictures once I've reinstalled windows 10.
Old 08-11-15, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Those temps seem perfectly fine to me. I'm running 2 480rads and I'll never ever see idle temps of 20°C unless my ambient temps are like 10-15°C
55°C under load is good as well, depending on your rad setup and how hard your fans are spinning
Old 08-11-15, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asperatis View Post
Those temps seem perfectly fine to me. I'm running 2 480rads and I'll never ever see idle temps of 20°C unless my ambient temps are like 10-15°C
55°C under load is good as well, depending on your rad setup and how hard your fans are spinning
Yeah I get it all now, I was just a bit worried that's all =]
I'm going to be updating my build log at some point with pics.
I'm using 1x EK PE 240 and 1x EK PE 360 with sp120 QE fans connected to a fan controller which ive set to 700rpm
Old 08-11-15, 12:47 PM
OC3D Elite

i like to use firestrike combined test (not the ultra one) on a loop i find that it is a bit short. but that does give me a reasonable temp threshold.

then there are a few games that i have i know can heat up the gpu and cpu prety well (more so than they should) asetto corsa is one of those if im doing a good long session.

The reason i do all that is to find what the lowest rpm i can use constant is. having the fans spin up and slow down is verry annoying to me. so i rather have the fans always spinning slightly faster than to ramp up and slow down again.

once i have my base rpm set i will then over clock and do the same tests again.
i will also throw a prime test or 2 in the mix.
Once i have max stable overclocks set and i know what rpm i have to set my fans i'm pretty golden.

After all that is done i also go a bit overboard and test with IBT (this is just a bit over the top to be honest)
Then if IBT makes the system run hotter than i would accept. I get an extra rad lol because an extra rad will let me just have more fans at lower rpm than making the fan speed higher..

im reasonably happy with my own set up. dont think i could get any more rad space in the case any way.
Also my clock speeds are maxed out for stability. and temps arent an issue at all now. and fans can be at the lowest speed for everything except IBT. but even with IBT i dont have to max out the fans but i do have to make them audiably louder.

I only run my rads in pull setup (i set of fans pulling the air through the rad then exhausting out of the case)
This is the least efficient way of doing it IMO, but its the neatest way and the easiest way to clean out any dust.

Hope you enjoy your new loop.
Mind it does not start costing more than the rest of your system lol..
But if it does atleast most of it is reuseable. (atleast the most expensive parts are rads/fittings.. and you can always sell the blocks on any time you upgrade to buy new blocks for the new stuff.