Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > Sound Cards & Speakers

Old 11-03-14, 09:48 PM

No offence taken here mate. I appreciate the info and advice in your posts.

My perceptions of the sound quality may very well be solely due to my head telling me cos I forked out the cash for it it must be better than my on-board audio.

In any case for the moment I'm enjoying the card and being able to take advantage of the features from the audio center drivers which feel like I have more control (this may simply be because I didn't explore the options too much on the on-board solution).

Once I have the DT880's I'll get my mate to setup up scenarios with both the STX and on-board audio and try a 'blind test' myself, at least that will give me a better idea on where my head sits with this personally.

Old 12-03-14, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuylar View Post
Being polite is usually a better way to get our point across.

My argument in this debate is that the Xonar STX and the Formula VI/RIVBE use the EXACT SAME chips. The caps are different but could be argued but at the end of the day we use measurements to make logical choices.

You can't say that the numbers mean nothing or you might as well say a yard and a meter are the same.... they aren't.

Humans are weird. We make irrational decisions and choices based on largely emotional reasoning. When it comes to sound... it can be a hard sale without playing on the emotions... For example... are you really going to tell someone that they are hearing it wrong? If you do, will they admit they could have been duped or defend that they experienced an improvement.

• Justifying an investment is one reason why something might sound different to one person than another...
  • Some people are happier with specific tones of sound...
  • Some people need specific input/output jacks...
I wasn't comparing the onboard audio from a motherboard made in 2001... It's not the budget board audio... I'm comparing the exact same headphone amplifier, similar caps, and as far as a digital processor is concerned if the chip can process the audio we are in business.

I can show the exact same part numbers on both and people still claim that one is better. How can you possibly do that?

Configure 3 systems side by side... one with the SupremeFX, one with the STx and one with the Phoebus. Throw it on a switch and don't look.

Use some good headphones, 300ohm or something that will pick up the issues.

There are benefits to sound cards.

Those benefits are not always going to be heard. Rarely will they ever be heard by an average gamer/computer user. Many of the people who care so much about this topic take insult to the thought that there may not be the dramatic difference that once was.

For someone watching movies, games, listening to MP3s, or anything like this... use a quality onboard solution. If your life revolves around FLAC files and perfection.... go external... Xonar Essence One.

I'm probably past the $0.02 and getting close to $1.00 on this topic... but it seems like breaking the sound card addiction is similar to breaking the PSU over-wattage advice some other people give.
Hello,

my name is Lazlo and I agree with this message.
Old 12-03-14, 10:07 AM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
Hello,

my name is Lazlo and I agree with this message.
We know, but that doesn't make any of you 100% correct.

I've said it in various threads, sound is a very personal thing. I've done blind tests and can tell the difference, I wouldn't get so i'rate about it otherwise.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 15-03-14, 10:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to J0s3e
for quality headphones / speakers as the ultimate sound upgrade.
For a good headphones though, card with headphone amp is preferred.
And although the onboards are not a bad quality at all, they are still close to all other circuits on the mobo, I could hear artifacts while moving my mouse for example.
Conclusion? Cheap PCI or PCI-x card in one of bottom slots does the job as well as VERY EXPENSIVE one, given you set up everything properly of course.
Old 17-03-14, 08:25 AM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0s3e View Post
Cheap PCI or PCI-x card in one of bottom slots does the job as well as VERY EXPENSIVE one, given you set up everything properly of course.
No, no it doesn't it really doesn't. If anything getting a cheap PCI / PCI-Ex will be worse than a good motherboard's onboard... If you're spending the money, you might as well get a decent one otherwise there isn't much point.
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!