Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Off Topic > Off Topic Chat

Old 05-09-20, 08:48 AM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicehunter View Post
Anyone by chance know which type of glue I'd have to use to glue felt to PLA plastic ? I got a headset stand for my Index and certain parts of it would do well to be cushioned so I bought some red felt and have cut it to size but not sure which type of glue to use that won't soak through and make the felt harden up.
At work we use Regina Impact contact adhesive or Prefix aerosol to glue EVA/felt linings or Foams to Polyprop acrylics which leaves no residue or discolouration. Other than that I'd go with a doublesided gorilla tape.

Old 05-09-20, 01:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Surely simple PVA glue would be enough for you?
Old 05-09-20, 01:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
Surely simple PVA glue would be enough for you?
Bad idea. It's water based and works by soaking into wood. It doesn't work for felt and etc. I tried it to glue speaker carpet to a speaker years ago and it just doesn't work. It also makes the carpet go hard (which is like felt).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVO-STIK-...oAAOSwaNlay0SA

Is the good stuff. Others work fine though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Tin-Uph...UAAOSwNZtZwn5p

Spray both surfaces. Allow it to tack up, then apply.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 05-09-20, 06:46 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
Bad idea. It's water based and works by soaking into wood. It doesn't work for felt and etc. I tried it to glue speaker carpet to a speaker years ago and it just doesn't work. It also makes the carpet go hard (which is like felt).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EVO-STIK-...oAAOSwaNlay0SA

Is the good stuff. Others work fine though.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Tin-Uph...UAAOSwNZtZwn5p

Spray both surfaces. Allow it to tack up, then apply.
Its not a bad idea.

PVA is a common way to glue PLA items together. I suppose it all comes down to what is intended to be bound here. I have used Felt and PLA and it was fine. I made a small "trophy" for a colleagues kid. The felt had a film on the back side making it easy to bind. But this involved a weighted item pressed down onto the felt so it comes down to what application is being used.

But yes, adhesive spray is probably the best.
Old 06-09-20, 06:16 PM
OC3D Crew

So quick Q for you watercoolers.

Currently have 3 rads in PC, one top, one bottom, one front. Would it be better overall to take the front rad out so cooler air is being pushed into the case?

Disclaimer: I may have asked this before, however, I'm never really please with my PC so apologies if so.

Old 06-09-20, 06:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trawetSluaP View Post

Currently have 3 rads in PC, one top, one bottom, one front. Would it be better overall to take the front rad out so cooler air is being pushed into the case?

Disclaimer: I may have asked this before, however, I'm never really please with my PC so apologies if so.
More radiator surface has the bigger impact. I would keep all rads. You would probably get warmer temps when you remove the front rad.
Old 06-09-20, 06:25 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avet View Post
More radiator surface has the bigger impact. I would keep all rads. You would probably get warmer temps when you remove the front rad.
OK thanks. Guess the benefit of cooler air coming into the case will lost due to having less rad space.

Old 06-09-20, 07:41 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

Avet is correct. Surface area is everything. However! a minor caviat here. And something which I changed recently to see a adequate improvement.

Having your front radiators as intake isnt always optimal. I'm talking the the min-max type of person. The reason being, once your radiators have warmed up and normalised, your front intake fans will push that cooler air through the rad which is already warm, and thus, you have warm air as an intake. This raises the case temp slightly or alot depending on case.

I had 2 480 rads as front intake. Once I moved them to the top of my rad acting as exhaust and then had 8 fans in the front as pure intake, my case temp and water temp is much cooler. Obviously it will never beat ambient temps, but its no longer like an oven.

So basically CPU went from 73C peak in Division 2, and now it runs at 67C.

I have a neutral setup as opposed to postive pressure before. I now use 8 fans intake and 8 fans exhaust.

Back in my old case the TT Tower 900, the temps were just nuts. I think My CPU peaked at 55C with a moderate 4.6ghz overclock on a 7700k. Since the rads were decoupled from the components in the case, and I had 2 fresh intakes and 2 exhaust in the front. I really do miss that case

Just had a nostalgic moment.

Flashback to my first full watercooling kit ever. 2004 was a sweet year. And that is an Asetek cooling kit.

The CPU block had TWO intakes

And I cooled my GPU with this one. To cool my 6800gt

Old 06-09-20, 09:13 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:

More rad space means you can run the fans slower and thus the system is quieter, though there is a diminishing return on the heat taken away

In my first loop I had a Silver Phobya 360 60mm rad with 6 AP15's in push/pull to cool a [email protected], added another 240 rad when I added the GPU in a HAF-X just as well it was on wheels because it was unliftable.
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: Gigabyte white 2070
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 06-09-20, 10:18 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenback View Post
More rad space means you can run the fans slower and thus the system is quieter, though there is a diminishing return on the heat taken away

In my first loop I had a Silver Phobya 360 60mm rad with 6 AP15's in push/pull to cool a [email protected], added another 240 rad when I added the GPU in a HAF-X just as well it was on wheels because it was unliftable.
I thin mine is around 35-40kg or more

Tags
banter, conversation, entertainment, fun, jokes, safe for work, small talk