Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 25-08-11, 06:00 AM

Hey folks, hope this is the right place

So... I put in said card and dont get any display. When i boot, i just hear a beep and then another two. I have onboard graphics that i have set to auto in bios (only other option), and i have uninstalled the drivers in windows. The DVI cable is connected ok. I have a 32 bit system with 4GB RAM (2x2) and the card is a low profile with 1GB DDR3.

Is it too much for the 32 bit system, am i missing something with the install or is the card just dead? To return it would mean a trip into the next town

Thanks in advance.

Old 25-08-11, 07:22 AM
OC3D Elite

If you have multiple PCI slots make sure you have it installed in the correct one.
Old 25-08-11, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Since you have an IGP; maybe in the BIOS, look for something on the lines of video boot first which you can either choose IGP or PCI. Select PCI.

Old 25-08-11, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING_OF_SAND View Post

If you have multiple PCI slots make sure you have it installed in the correct one.
This. I made the same mistake when I went from ASUS board to MSI
Old 25-08-11, 01:10 PM

Thanks for all the replies/suggestions. However i just took out (before i read this) a RAM stick and it booted fine, was able to install the drivers and everything appears to be ok. System now though is at 2BG RAM. Is there anything i can do to utilize the other two Gig, or do i just get another 1GB instead, making 3GB system RAM?
Old 09-09-11, 04:42 PM

Ok now i upped to Win 7 64 bit and put the other 2GB back in and the beeps are back, with no display.

Its fine with just 2GB RAM though. What is it im missing?

I had an idea it could be something to do with the IRQ settings in BIOS, as it says "use AUTO only if such and such cards are not present". I think my options here are 2, 5,7 and 10 but could be wrong as i forgot, but i can check again if this is the prob and someone knows the answer.

Before i upped to Win 7, i had the notion of swapping the 2GB stick for a 1GB and run with 3GB RAM, but as im aware 64 bit systems support much more than this.

Is it possible the Motherboard only supports 4GB and i have to settle for 3GB RAM physical and 1GB video card?

Again thanks in advance, could really use some help to figure this out :-)
Old 09-09-11, 05:44 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFXSLuT View Post

Ok now i upped to Win 7 64 bit and put the other 2GB back in and the beeps are back, with no display.

Its fine with just 2GB RAM though. What is it im missing?

I had an idea it could be something to do with the IRQ settings in BIOS, as it says "use AUTO only if such and such cards are not present". I think my options here are 2, 5,7 and 10 but could be wrong as i forgot, but i can check again if this is the prob and someone knows the answer.

Before i upped to Win 7, i had the notion of swapping the 2GB stick for a 1GB and run with 3GB RAM, but as im aware 64 bit systems support much more than this.

Is it possible the Motherboard only supports 4GB and i have to settle for 3GB RAM physical and 1GB video card?

Again thanks in advance, could really use some help to figure this out :-)
Make sure every stick is running at the same settings as the worst stick, manually, don't use auto

Subroutine
Lubuntu 12.10 | 2880x1024 | AMD E-350

Old 10-09-11, 12:46 AM

The PCI settings i mentioned is called PCI Configuration.

In the diplay box it shows:

PCI IRQ Line 1

PCI IRQ Line 2, and so on to line 8.

All are set to Auto Select as i have not changed them.

In the help box to the right it says:

PCI devices can use hardware interrupts called IRQs. A PCI device cannot use IRQs already in use by ISA or EISA devices. Use Auto if no ISA or EISA legacy cards are installed.

So after i checked this i noted that besides 'Auto Select and Disabled', the only options are 5, 7, 10 or 11.

Im afraid i dont know if the card ( HD 5450 )is ISA, EISA or otherwise.

The RAM i believe is two sticks that are the same as i bought them together and still have the packages, and i wouldnt know which line is being used by what, if indeed the RAM is using those at all.

I have tried to search for a manual for my board, as the computer was given to me (as is, minus the card) quite some time ago, but im not sure i have the right one, besides the fact i dont fully understand it.

Everything runs fine with just a single 2GB stick with the card, and it ran ok 2x2GB sticks without the card.

All that i have changed in BIOS is the onboard graphics, set now to AUTO.
Old 10-09-11, 02:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFXSLuT View Post

The PCI settings i mentioned is called PCI Configuration.

In the diplay box it shows:

PCI IRQ Line 1

PCI IRQ Line 2, and so on to line 8.

All are set to Auto Select as i have not changed them.

In the help box to the right it says:

PCI devices can use hardware interrupts called IRQs. A PCI device cannot use IRQs already in use by ISA or EISA devices. Use Auto if no ISA or EISA legacy cards are installed.

So after i checked this i noted that besides 'Auto Select and Disabled', the only options are 5, 7, 10 or 11.

Im afraid i dont know if the card ( HD 5450 )is ISA, EISA or otherwise.

The RAM i believe is two sticks that are the same as i bought them together and still have the packages, and i wouldnt know which line is being used by what, if indeed the RAM is using those at all.

I have tried to search for a manual for my board, as the computer was given to me (as is, minus the card) quite some time ago, but im not sure i have the right one, besides the fact i dont fully understand it.

Everything runs fine with just a single 2GB stick with the card, and it ran ok 2x2GB sticks without the card.

All that i have changed in BIOS is the onboard graphics, set now to AUTO.
Still think it's auto settings causing the problems. If there are any options to disable ISA/ EISA mode try them, as that doesn't sound like anything modern

Subroutine
Lubuntu 12.10 | 2880x1024 | AMD E-350

Old 09-12-13, 06:08 PM

Let me share with you my experience of installation of an HD 5450, I am not really a computer expert but enjoyed the whole experience. i got a lot of help from the web threads on the topic, and ultimately it now works.

I faced the same problem as yours, after installing the card in the PCIe slot, system won't boot..only the power light was what there was. I tried and tried for several times..again installing the card thinking it isn't seated properly but no use.
Then studying the problem on web on this topic I went ahead and decided to update BIOS of my system;
Lenovo Core 2 duo with Q35 chipset and an original BIOS version of 2007.
Now the problem here seems is that the card HD 5450 is a 2010 release and the board / BIOS is 2007, which is not supporting the card.
Ok now how to update the BIOS, let me brief on the procedure;
1. go to the manufacturer site, like I visited Lenovo
2. you should know the make, model no. of your system, BIOS version installed. (be very careful on this, because if you selected the wrong model BIOS upgrade will give error as was the case with me but I overcame it)
3. Have a Rewritable CD or a DVD drive on your computer.
4. get a writable CD disk which you will be needing for booting purpose.
5. go to the manufacturers website and search for the BIOS update driver file with a .iso and not the .exe one, of your system model.
6. Once you have located the file with .iso, download the file, get your writable CD ready in the CD drive. The program
will prompt you to burn it onto the CD.
7. you now have a bootable CD with the latest BIOS.
8.There will also be a readme.txt file, kindly go through that also as it describes the procedure on how to upgrade BIOS.
9.Now you have to shutdown your system with the bootable CD in the Drive and restart it making sure in the setup (which comes by pressing either the F12 or Ctrl+S key at startup) that CD drive comes first in sequence so that the system
reads the CD as soon it starts.
10. BIOS upgrade takes 2-3 minutes, and system should not be turned off during that time.
11. BIOS upgrade successful will be flashed once its done....restart your system after that.
12. Shutdown system, Install the HD 5450.....hopefully the system will now detect the card....install its drivers and enjoy.

Regards