Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 24-03-14, 09:47 PM
News Guru

AMD Kabini Specs announced, AM1 Platform coming soon.

As earlier this month AMD announced the AM1 Platform, a platform designed to house AMD's low power Kabini APUs.

Coming in dual or quad core configurations, with a TDP of a miniscule 25W, Kabini is of-course intended for low powered systems like HTPCs and home servers.

AMD plan on releasing Kabini to American stores on April 9th with two quad core models, the Athlon 5150 and the Athlon 5350 which are clocked at 1.6 and 2.05 GHz respectively and contain a HD 8400 GPU which has 128 cores clocked at 600MHz.

Above is a picture comparing a Kaveri APU (right) and a Kabini APU (left), as you can clearly see the new Kabini APU is smaller and has a different pin layout than FM2/FM2+ APU.

With such a low small size and TDP, it is unsurprising that Kabini uses an equally small stock cooler (shown below). With such a small and different mounting mechanism it will be unlikely to see any non-stock cooling for these APUs at launch, not that it will be required.

The Athlon 5150 and 5350 are set to hit the shelves at $50 and $60 respectively, Kabini will be great CPU for small sized, low cost computing.

What do you guys think of Kabini, can any of you think of any interesting uses for this cheap, low powered APU? Please comment below.

UPDATE- More info on the Sempron variants

The sempron variants will be called the 3850 and 2650 and will be a quad core clocked at 1.3GHz and a dual core clocked at 1.45Ghz respectively and have a TDP of 25W.

Both Semprons will contain the same 128 GCN radeon cores but operate at a reduced frequency of 450MHz and 400MHz and cost around $40 and $36 respectively.

Source - cpu-world

Old 24-03-14, 09:49 PM
born in a.....

awww so small :3

Depending on their performance I think they'd make an excellent replacement for my dying media server (currently my ol' i3 550). Heck it could live under the tv if it is quiet enough.
Rig: i7 [email protected]|2x8gb HyperX Fury|Intel z97-AR|Corsair H75| 2x Nvidia 1070 founders edition|Superflower leadex 750W gold|Inwin 904| 970 EVO 500GB m.2|512GB evo 840| Crucial MX 500 500GB|ASUS MG279Q +Acer S240HL| Windows 10 pro, 8.1 pro| Kubuntu LTS
Audio: Silverstone EB01-E+EB03+DT 770 Pro 250Ω+Samson SAGOMIC
Ducky Legend (cherry red)+Zowie AM-FG
Old 24-03-14, 09:56 PM
OC3D Crew

I think it'll be powerful enough to drive the clock on my microwave oven .

Seriously though, this will be perfect for the Facebook generation, folk who only need a pc powerful enough to watch youtube and bbc iplayer.
Old 24-03-14, 10:11 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysterae View Post
I think it'll be powerful enough to drive the clock on my microwave oven .

Seriously though, this will be perfect for the Facebook generation, folk who only need a pc powerful enough to watch youtube and bbc iplayer.
Exactly, but it will also be great for emerging markets where people want/ need cheap computing solutions that will cause a minimal increase in electric bills.

It also makes AMD usable for low power, always on systems like a home server. I wonder how well it would do when a raidcard is placed in the pci-e 16x slot. Perhaps a super crazy kabini mantle test with a R9 290X or 295X, because why not lol.
Old 25-03-14, 02:44 AM
Bettyswollocks

Watsyerproblem awesome as always! Good to see AMD stepping up their game even if it is just for the low power market, do we know if these are the Kabinis with the Jaguar cores as when I covered AM1 a while back it was just rumour and speculation which got us excited to see if anyone would plan a XBone/PS4 steam machine variant.
Old 25-03-14, 03:19 PM
News Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
Watsyerproblem awesome as always! Good to see AMD stepping up their game even if it is just for the low power market, do we know if these are the Kabinis with the Jaguar cores as when I covered AM1 a while back it was just rumour and speculation which got us excited to see if anyone would plan a XBone/PS4 steam machine variant.
Yeah Kabini is using AMD's Jaguar cores, I highly doubt any of these will have enough gaming power for a half decent steam machine. Perhaps it will be good enough for some indie titles on Steam OS, but what I'd be interested in is using Kabini for a Steam OS "stream machine" to stream from my PC to my living room.
Old 25-03-14, 06:35 PM
News Guru

Update! - more information added for the two AM1 Sempron CPUs

See Original Post
Old 25-03-14, 06:46 PM
OC3D Elite

I wouldn't mind swapping my HTPC system with an AMD A6-6400k APU and A88X motherboard for one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsley View Post
Depending on their performance I think they'd make an excellent replacement for my dying media server (currently my ol' i3 550). Heck it could live under the tv if it is quiet enough.
I had a laptop briefly with an AMD A4-5000 APU, which is similar enough to the Athlon 5150 above. It was no powerhouse, but paired with an SSD it was a great little basic "good enough" system - It was perfectly capable of smooth HD video playback.

The cool thing about these is they should be very easy to cool passively.