Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 28-09-20, 08:50 PM

Humming buzzing from CPU

Hi all 1 week old build specs are GENE Z390 board cpu i9900K all in bios is on auto in stress test the noise dose not go away its stable .
Thing I did before the noise started is unplug fan hubs from sata cable with pc off ofc lol
maybe to many fans but still the power of them combined together dose not go over limit voltage I am scared lol any help please thank you all .

Old 28-09-20, 09:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry1978 View Post
Hi all 1 week old build specs are GENE Z390 board cpu i9900K all in bios is on auto in stress test the noise dose not go away its stable .
Thing I did before the noise started is unplug fan hubs from sata cable with pc off ofc lol
maybe to many fans but still the power of them combined together dose not go over limit voltage I am scared lol any help please thank you all .
It's not the CPU it is coil whine from the inductors on the motherboard. In fact it might even be your GPU, so try and see if it makes the same noise without the GPU. That will then lead you directly to the culprit (IE your motherboard).

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 28-09-20, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It's not the CPU it is coil whine from the inductors on the motherboard. In fact it might even be your GPU, so try and see if it makes the same noise without the GPU. That will then lead you directly to the culprit (IE your motherboard).
Thank you for your interest and post I have done since from reading your post disconnected all cables and checked them out reconnected them also just taken the gpu out and rebooted same noise is still there .
Old 28-09-20, 10:04 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry1978 View Post
Thank you for your interest and post I have done since from reading your post disconnected all cables and checked them out reconnected them also just taken the gpu out and rebooted same noise is still there .
Then it is either your motherboard, or, as I suspect your PSU.

It isn't anything to worry about. Inductors are supposed to buzz but you are not usually supposed to hear it. It does not indicate damage, it is just annoying.

Old 28-09-20, 10:13 PM

I have the super flower leadex II 850 gold and yes it is annoying in stress test previously the noise was still there and in games also it is defo some kind of chip on motherboard it reminds me of that annoying noise you get from desktop lamps (lights) when you have them pluged in for a long time thing is putting a screwdriver to my year and mobo it comes from cpu area . Somet you recommend I do? maybe try running cpu on stock 3600Ghz c if it still makes humming noise ? I did read that you say about psu hhhhmmmm no noise from there tho .
Old 28-09-20, 10:20 PM
OC3D Elite

The only thing you can do if it's truly annoying enough is send back the board on RMA.

Old 28-09-20, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
The only thing you can do if it's truly annoying enough is send back the board on RMA.
HHMM :-( that sucks lol noise will not chance no mater what I do running at stock setings 3600ghz .
Iwill think about sending board back its gona be a pain I got it from Germany and they did not have it in stock where I live at the time I ordered . I will try change bios from 0905 to 1005 maybe it will help
Old 29-09-20, 11:01 AM
OC3D Elite

Seeing as you have a Super Flower PSU and despite how much praise they have, or atleast used to have on these forums, I got 2 different units and they both had terrible coil whine. After that, I’ve never touched them again. Worst customer support as well - never responded to emails.
Old 29-09-20, 01:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Seeing as you have a Super Flower PSU and despite how much praise they have, or atleast used to have on these forums, I got 2 different units and they both had terrible coil whine. After that, I’ve never touched them again. Worst customer support as well - never responded to emails.
I believe he said the whine comes from the CPU area though.
Old 30-09-20, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I believe he said the whine comes from the CPU area though.
Yes!!!

Today the noise is more loud if I put a screwdriver on the water cooler the noise travels right throu to my ear also the noise is clearly coming from cpu area because I can hear it from behind motherboard will try to run with 1 ram stick c if there is a diference maybe faulty ram and not mobo this is driving me mad .