Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 28-09-20, 08:50 PM
Terry1978 Terry1978 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 11
Humming buzzing from CPU

Hi all 1 week old build specs are GENE Z390 board cpu i9900K all in bios is on auto in stress test the noise dose not go away its stable .
Thing I did before the noise started is unplug fan hubs from sata cable with pc off ofc lol
maybe to many fans but still the power of them combined together dose not go over limit voltage I am scared lol any help please thank you all .

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28-09-20, 09:47 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry1978 View Post
Hi all 1 week old build specs are GENE Z390 board cpu i9900K all in bios is on auto in stress test the noise dose not go away its stable .
Thing I did before the noise started is unplug fan hubs from sata cable with pc off ofc lol
maybe to many fans but still the power of them combined together dose not go over limit voltage I am scared lol any help please thank you all .
It's not the CPU it is coil whine from the inductors on the motherboard. In fact it might even be your GPU, so try and see if it makes the same noise without the GPU. That will then lead you directly to the culprit (IE your motherboard).
__________________


If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28-09-20, 10:02 PM
Terry1978 Terry1978 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
It's not the CPU it is coil whine from the inductors on the motherboard. In fact it might even be your GPU, so try and see if it makes the same noise without the GPU. That will then lead you directly to the culprit (IE your motherboard).
Thank you for your interest and post I have done since from reading your post disconnected all cables and checked them out reconnected them also just taken the gpu out and rebooted same noise is still there .
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28-09-20, 10:04 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry1978 View Post
Thank you for your interest and post I have done since from reading your post disconnected all cables and checked them out reconnected them also just taken the gpu out and rebooted same noise is still there .
Then it is either your motherboard, or, as I suspect your PSU.

It isn't anything to worry about. Inductors are supposed to buzz but you are not usually supposed to hear it. It does not indicate damage, it is just annoying.
__________________


If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28-09-20, 10:13 PM
Terry1978 Terry1978 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 11
I have the super flower leadex II 850 gold and yes it is annoying in stress test previously the noise was still there and in games also it is defo some kind of chip on motherboard it reminds me of that annoying noise you get from desktop lamps (lights) when you have them pluged in for a long time thing is putting a screwdriver to my year and mobo it comes from cpu area . Somet you recommend I do? maybe try running cpu on stock 3600Ghz c if it still makes humming noise ? I did read that you say about psu hhhhmmmm no noise from there tho .
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28-09-20, 10:20 PM
AlienALX's Avatar
AlienALX AlienALX is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 14,990
The only thing you can do if it's truly annoying enough is send back the board on RMA.
__________________


If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 28-09-20, 10:37 PM
Terry1978 Terry1978 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
The only thing you can do if it's truly annoying enough is send back the board on RMA.
HHMM :-( that sucks lol noise will not chance no mater what I do running at stock setings 3600ghz .
Iwill think about sending board back its gona be a pain I got it from Germany and they did not have it in stock where I live at the time I ordered . I will try change bios from 0905 to 1005 maybe it will help
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29-09-20, 11:01 AM
Dawelio's Avatar
Dawelio Dawelio is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Scandinavia
Posts: 5,039
Seeing as you have a Super Flower PSU and despite how much praise they have, or atleast used to have on these forums, I got 2 different units and they both had terrible coil whine. After that, I’ve never touched them again. Worst customer support as well - never responded to emails.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 29-09-20, 01:14 PM
Warchild Warchild is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Norway, Oslo
Posts: 7,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawelio View Post
Seeing as you have a Super Flower PSU and despite how much praise they have, or atleast used to have on these forums, I got 2 different units and they both had terrible coil whine. After that, I’ve never touched them again. Worst customer support as well - never responded to emails.
I believe he said the whine comes from the CPU area though.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30-09-20, 10:48 AM
Terry1978 Terry1978 is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warchild View Post
I believe he said the whine comes from the CPU area though.
Yes!!!

Today the noise is more loud if I put a screwdriver on the water cooler the noise travels right throu to my ear also the noise is clearly coming from cpu area because I can hear it from behind motherboard will try to run with 1 ram stick c if there is a diference maybe faulty ram and not mobo this is driving me mad .
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 07:33 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.