Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 04-03-20, 02:17 PM
OC3D Elite

I don't like the Barrow badge. IDK why. So I got these instead.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 05-03-20, 12:59 PM
OC3D Elite

So it's here. Just finished up doing the benchmarks, round one. IE, 2070S vs 2070. These were ran on the same GPU I will post them later. Next week it'll be 2070 water vs Titan XP water.

I can't block it up just yet no thermal paste, and I not spending another tenner on that crap when I have tons at home. I can't use it again until I get home either.

Old 05-03-20, 09:37 PM
OC3D Elite

A day of happiness and nightmares. Some of the Dual cards look like this (bone stock with digital ICs)

Which is what the Barrow fits. The other type is like this.

Which as you can guess totally doesn't fit. Ironically the original block I found is designed specifically for this card.

You can see how they have done it and TBH? it's very clever. Scooped out the block, yet allow the water to flow across the front (hence the metal plate) past the caps and onto the VRMs. Very clever.

Expensive, but less so than ending up with £450 worth of gear I have no use for. I am not putting this rig back to air anything and it's not as good as my other rig. I'd already voided the warranty, but I desperately want to change my GPU. I love my XP, but it's been three years on the same card.

I'm not sending the Barrow back because it fits specific 2080Tis, which I am hoping to get a hold of one day. It's mainly just to avoid the aggro tbh. I am just recovering from 6 months of hell (and am doing pretty well) the last thing I need is stress. So I will bung it in my man cave here at mum's.

Block arrives tomorrow. Hopefully by this time tomorrow night it will be packed and ready to return home with me.

Old 06-03-20, 02:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Last night I had another wobble. I realised my particular card is the only Dual with a DVI. So panic set in because the end of the block is solid across, not like the Barrow one. However, you offset the block way past that.

EK say don't use your back plate DO NOT USE IT it will give you Ebola, but tbh? bit of 3m tape and I am golden like last time when I used the FE back plate on the XP.

Once I stick the black 2070 badge over the EK badge it will be gloriously stealth, only with two lots of RGB.

Old 14-03-20, 01:22 PM
OC3D Elite

It fought me pretty hard. Not fitting it, the inlet and outlet ports were identical to my XP. However, it wasn't working properly at all and I thought I'd nerfed it fitting the block. Which I have never done, but hey there's always a first time for everything, right?

It wasn't stable. The monitor kept shutting off randomly and it took me two days before it finally popped up a message "The GPU power connector is not connected". And I thought it was dead.

If you've read this thread (you have my apologies) you'll remember I had ribbon trouble and had to use the Phanteks in order to get the XP to stop shutting off the monitor? well that was because even though the Powerlink was in place (which is probably why it worked at all) two of the ground pins in the 8 pin connector had worked loose. Probably when I was doing the board upgrade, or possibly earlier IDK.

Any way, I sorted that out (it was buried under a mound of other wiring) and it's been wonderful ever since. It's also fixed an issue where the XP would boot HDMI primary which was annoying because it means the BIOS and splash come up in the floor of the case. So to make any changes you need to disconnect it or use it like that.

Thankfully the 2070 boots to DP first.

The RGB is working on the block but I broke the converter I made. The pins were too fat and one by one snapped as I tried to fully insert them. Must try harder...

Other than that? yeah she's good. I am never building something so complicated with so much wiring again. It's all full well and good doing it, but troubleshooting it is a nightmare. Firstly you don't remember what's what so you find yourself removing loads of cable ties and wiring to find it, then even when you do you need to spot it. Had the GPU message not come up? I would have probably thought the 2070 was dead.

Old 03-09-20, 03:35 PM
OC3D Elite

This rig has basically sat for two months doing nothing. I decided to put it in my bedroom, as there's nothing in there for gaming or what not. Will be nice for winters nights when Cyberpunk comes out. Slight catch, TV is native 4k and I know the 2070 won't be good enough. Could drop the res but it's a pretty big TV (55").

So as you will have noticed I bought this.

And intend to use the block I originally bought for the 2070.

Only it doesn't fit lol. I can make it fit, though. This is the block I need to replicate. Everything is the same apart from it has less plastic.

I would say this rig should be absolutely super for 4k.

Old 11-09-20, 04:23 PM
OC3D Elite

OK so we all know how that 2080Ti worked out I got the refund into my account today.

I've since bought this.

Needs a good clean, but is a good card. I also bought this for the CPU.

Simply because it was cheap (on sale for £59), the Byski has gold rings around the G1/4 (which I don't like) and it mounts a bit crap and isn't great at cooling.

I also bought four of these.

Which if you look at this pic you will see why (look at the CPU block)

There should be two 45s in there as the loop was designed, but obviously when you change hardware you have to do what you can. Two will go straight into the CPU block, the other two? well I reckon the GPU block may use both of those.

Either way at that price they can sit around. I bought a 20m roll of that black tubing, so I am pretty much set for life.

Edit. Oh yeah, I bought a converter for Gigabyte's dumbass DRGB ffs.

That is why the GPU RGB was never set up !

Old 13-09-20, 03:32 PM
OC3D Elite

Got a new res. Two reasons. 1. I wanted something slightly larger. 2. I cracked one of the brackets on the other one. It still works fine, it just annoys me.

So same res, just longer.

Old 15-09-20, 02:02 PM
OC3D Elite

New GPU in. I took the block apart and cleaned it. I thought about polishing the nickel but I would rather leave well alone. I say this because as soon as you add moisture it vanishes.

I gotta say, that is one big heavy friggin card tbh.

I know I know, it's really weird how they did it so you can use the stock back plate. Clever though, as many would be peeved about losing the RGB. Talking of which there is a baggy of cables, adapters and all of the stuff I need to sort out the RGB.

CPU block.

Now I need to make a metal plate (will explain that later). There is *no way* the Phanteks vertical bracket will ever support this bugger on one screw.

Old 16-09-20, 03:49 AM
OC3D Elite

Damn man, you're a machine! Try ALL the waterblocks, LOL!!