OC3D Forums

OC3D Forums (https://forum.overclock3d.net/index.php)
-   Project Logs (https://forum.overclock3d.net/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Best 3d software setup for 400 (https://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=47069)

dalewakelin 29-10-12 09:25 PM

Best 3d software setup for 400
 
What would be the best hardware for using cinema 4d and other heavy programs. Only need motherboard, cpu and gpu. Its just so i can get an idea for my future main rig.

I Hunta x 30-10-12 01:05 AM

2 ways you can go realy, better redraw for complex stuff or faster rendering.
IIRC it can use/it does use OPENGL for the view port and i have no clue if amd/nvidia is better for that so i cant realy help there but some google work should answer that, im also not sure how much of an impact the extra gpu performance would impact the view port redraw and google will probably have some threads/sites answering that aswell.

Better redraw:
3770 = 220~
Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H = 55~
GPU = 125~

Better rendering: (overclock it)
3770k = 250~
Artic cooling i30 = 30~
MSI Z77 G41 = 65~
GPU = 55~

dugdiamond 30-10-12 01:13 AM

no need for on-die graphics
design stage is most opengl/DX, but rendering with be mostly multi-threaded CPU... so, the more cores the better.

i prefer intel in my farm - more 'oomph' per watt / per GHz ... so i5-K or better

as for GPU rendering.... nVidia is better for rendering than the amd, as they give you more choice of apps to use - i have 560Ti's in my farm

I Hunta x 30-10-12 01:23 AM

What do you think to what i recommended dug? 400 is a little low to get any serious gpu rendering going so thats why i went with the 3770's

dugdiamond 30-10-12 02:13 AM

this is a good starting point:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Bundle...roductId=52498
+
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=1810

= 520 plus shipping = 535ish (as of today's date)

you are not going to get a decent rendering rig for less than 500 quid

I Hunta x 30-10-12 12:19 PM

@Dale can you list what parts you have at the moment as some money could be saved on the gpu side if you wouldnt realy be getting an upgrade


@Dug That bundle isnt all that great, you can get better for the same money.

3770 + Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H + 8gb 2133Mhz comes to the same price as that bundle and im pretty sure it would win, Hyper threading + slightly better core architecture so faster speed for speed + faster memory

Also you can get 560Ti 448 cores for 40 less than the 560Ti you linked

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=1854

dugdiamond 30-10-12 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Hunta x (Post 566607)
@Dale can you list what parts you have at the moment as some money could be saved on the gpu side if you wouldnt realy be getting an upgrade


@Dug That bundle isnt all that great, you can get better for the same money.

3770 + Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H + 8gb 2133Mhz comes to the same price as that bundle and im pretty sure it would win, Hyper threading + slightly better core architecture so faster speed for speed + faster memory

Also you can get 560Ti 448 cores for 40 less than the 560Ti you linked

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...14&subcat=1854


the 3770 is locked in the bundles they show.
there are OBVIOUSLY alot of better options

ideally you really should be looking towards an unlocked i7

but, the 'starting point' i gave as an example is based purely on the 400 budget

and as for the the gpus, the zotac i chose, kicks the msi448 into touch in rendering terms par-for-par (see specs)

dalewakelin 30-10-12 06:16 PM

Thanks, i wont be gpu rendering it will just be used to view openGL scenes

dugdiamond 30-10-12 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalewakelin (Post 566718)
Thanks, i wont be gpu rendering it will just be used to view openGL scenes

get yourself a nice i7-K (unlocked) cpu with a decent mobo

buy yourself a cheap-ish nvidia gpu for the time being (550ti), and upgrade just that later on

use all the money to get a nicer cpu + mobo ;)

B NEGATIVE 30-10-12 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dugdiamond (Post 566749)
get yourself a nice i7-K (unlocked) cpu with a decent mobo

buy yourself a cheap-ish nvidia gpu for the time being (550ti), and upgrade just that later on

use all the money to get a nicer cpu + mobo ;)

This ^^

You cant cheap out if you are rendering and actually want to get anything done.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:02 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.