Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 22-08-17, 05:48 PM
The Guvnor

AMD RX Vega 64 and Vega 56 Review

The latest generation of AMD graphics cards is upon us and we put them to the test to discover if they can challenge nVidia in the way that Ryzen challenged Intel.

AMD RX Vega 64 and Vega 56 Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 22-08-17, 06:39 PM
OC3D Elite

Send a message via Skype™ to Dicehunter
Great vid, Really miffed at AMD about this, I wanted a full AMD rig i.e CPU+GPU but the lack of power and over the top power draw have killed all fancy of getting a Vega 64 card

Ryzen was a pure win, Fantastic product, Vega is...well...a big fat fail.

As a side note I did a test on the rig I'm currently using, 1800X overclocked to 4GHz, 16GB 3200MHz, 1080 Ti Strix overclocked to 2050/6000, All fans at full and the max I saw was 450 watts, Briefly, Very disappointing to see such terrible power draw from AMD.
Old 22-08-17, 06:45 PM

It really paid off reviewing this a little later, im glad you said what needed to be said about the crappy pricing making it noncompetitive.
Old 22-08-17, 07:03 PM
OC3D Crew

AMD just struck gold for nVidia. All those people that have been waiting for Vega will now go and buy nVidia cards.

Just complete and utter fail from AMD. If the mining hasn't gone up just before the launch of Vega I really think that AMD graphic division would go bankrupt.

I don't think they can continue like this for much longer. This is their 4th generation of cards that is demolished buy the green team, and the Volta is coming. nVidia will now just refine manufacturing process and continue to rule. In the past AMD offered good budget option, but now they are more expensive, they use 2x more power, they heat up like furnaces, and they offer roughly the same performance. Who in the right mind would buy Vega (apart from the pathological fanboys)?
Old 22-08-17, 08:02 PM
OC3D Elite

I'm glad I bought a GTX 1080 when I did

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla
Old 22-08-17, 08:10 PM

It just puts AMD behind a bit again, that's all.

It's better than where they were I guess. They do now have an upper tear set of cards. But who will pick these up with the increased power draw and heat? Especially with inflated pricing. It just doesn't line up well on the shelf.

I waited, and waited, and waited, then I bought a 1080.

Hopefully the AIBs can do a bit of fun stuff to the boards and come out with some wins.

No pressure on Nvidia to release the Volta consumer adaptations if AMD's best can't get up to the level of last year's cards. Pascal may be it for the next 6-12 months. That's OK I guess. Maxwell/Pascal is a nice and stable platform for nvidia and AMD can use the time to polish their drivers and software.
Old 22-08-17, 08:39 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

AMD has started designing things without power consumption in mind. If you stick a waterblock on it and touch up the bios so the max power draw is much higher you would get amazing results, however that's not the point, it basically got raped by the nvidia cards.
Also about that pricing scheme... Why did you do that AMD?!?
Btw I think that the leaders of the RADEON technologies haven't changed in YEARS, I think since cgn 1.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 22-08-17, 09:16 PM
OC3D Elite

Just looked on Aria and for the price they have for the 64 you can virtually get any of the 1080 non super oc'd, don't know how correct I am in thinking even aftermarket 56 is going to be close to £500 which would put them in a close enough area to price wise to a 1080 which would be a no brainer
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: TTL white 1060
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 22-08-17, 09:30 PM
OC3D Elite

I wouldn't even give it a Gamer's Choice award personally—though it's your award and you know your own system better than I would. This is not the first time I've disagreed with you and it probably won't be the last. At $500/£450/€500, yeah, I would give it, but not at £600.

I wish I had not invested in Freesync and AMD. I just had a look at how much it would cost me to reinvest into a similar Gsync/1080 setup, and it's just so much. Either I'll have to wait six months for Vega to become reasonably priced, wait until Navi, or splurge and go back to Nvidia who is clearly the smarter choice for enthusiasts. Vega offers only one thing: solid performance. It offers nothing else.
Old 22-08-17, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Great review and very informative.

I will be honest I was looking forward to Vega, especially with the positive advancements that AMD have made in terms of Ryzen but the Vega 64 card as an overall is a let down. The amount of heat that is being produced and the power consumption is shocking.

I am also very disappointed with what AMD have done with the pricing of the 64, I expected better. I just hope that they manage to redeem themselves where the pricing of the 56 is concerned, but we will see.

I am planning on upgrading my rig soon and as it stands it looks like I will be returning to team green.