Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 29-06-17, 09:26 AM
News Guru

Pro Overclocker der8auer calls Intel X299 a "VRM Disaster"

Pro Overclocker der8auer has called Intel X299 platform a "VRM Disaster", reporting a lot of inconsistency with VRM temperatures and reports overheating/thermal throttling when overclocking.

Read more on Intel's reported X299 VRM issues.

I will also link the other X299 motherboard VRM problem thread here. Mods, should we merge the threads?

Old 29-06-17, 10:18 AM
OC3D Elite

ahahahahahahahahahaha

/takes breath

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

X100.

And they couldn't prevent Jack from being happy
Old 29-06-17, 10:41 AM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
ahahahahahahahahahaha

/takes breath

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

X100.

I think the problem is fairly unique to him......

https://www.facebook.com/tinytomloga...type=3&theater

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 29-06-17, 11:01 AM
OC3D Elite

Which board are you testing Tom?

I also notice you have the board in a case with fans above it drawing/sucking. Any airflow at all improves the situation as he pointed out. It was similar with my old Asrock 4+1. No fan, throttle, add a fan blowing over the VRM cooler I could overclock.

Any way, what concerns me more (and why I was laughing) is 300w through the 8 pin. That is woefully short of power. If you think back to the days of X58 and 24 pins literally melting because the GPUs were drawing too much power through the board (dual 5970 or tri sli 480s as an example) then I would see that as far more dangerous. Drawing 300w through 4 quite thin wires is outright dangerous and why his cables got hot. One tiny spike and you have a fire on your hands.

And THAT is the problem when you make motherboards for a platform that is all over the bloody place. Quad cores, 10 cores, 18 cores... That's pretty bloody stupid.

It was the same story on Bulldozer and Piledriver. Companies (laughs at MSI, whose boards caught fire) were making 4+1 boards with no VRM cooling whatsoever and they were burning up. Why? because AMD decided to release their BD CPUs on a single socket so you could go from 2 cores all the way to 8 and the boards were mostly the same.

So now not only do you need to find a board for your X299 CPU you also need to find an appropriate board.

Which let's face it is quite complicated and tricky. Especially since mobo manus do not outright tell you how many phases a board has and whether it's suitable. They don't tell you anything of the sort unless they are boasting about it so the only way to usually find out is to take off the sinks and count the fets.

That's madness. Utter, utter madness.

Also, who is going to brag about their fets when they are crap? look at the MSI 370 Tit board. 6 phases. Can't see MSI bragging about that, especially on such an expensive board.

Old 29-06-17, 11:56 AM
The Guvnor

Ive tried the X299-A - Gigabyte Gaming 7 and MSI Carbon today....

If an overclocker isnt cooling other parts of the board in an open test bench its not the boards fault

Also I dont think my normal airflow from a case would slash 30c off of temps, I think there is a bit more to it tbh.

Old 29-06-17, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
Ive tried the X299-A - Gigabyte Gaming 7 and MSI Carbon today....

If an overclocker isnt cooling other parts of the board in an open test bench its not the boards fault

Also I dont think my normal airflow from a case would slash 30c off of temps, I think there is a bit more to it tbh.
That's what i think Tom... not 30C...
AMD is paying someone imo since that guy (a famous overclocker) should know better if this was in fact a PSU issue.
Old 29-06-17, 01:21 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliceoflife View Post
That's what i think Tom... not 30C...
AMD is paying someone imo since that guy (a famous overclocker) should know better if this was in fact a PSU issue.
I dont for a second think this is a paid troll and he will have achieved those temps. The questions should be how and why - I dont think in all honesty the boards are as bad as he is making out or IF they are its in a very limited configuration that didnt really require all the hype.

At least I know what people will be trying to post on every X299 motherboard review though.

Old 29-06-17, 01:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
I dont for a second think this is a paid troll and he will have achieved those temps. The questions should be how and why - I dont think in all honesty the boards are as bad as he is making out or IF they are its in a very limited configuration that didnt really require all the hype.

At least I know what people will be trying to post on every X299 motherboard review though.
I heard that he has a high leakage ES CPU. He's also questioning his PSU...

It will all depend on power draw on actual retail samples. I still don't think it's a good idea to run a single 8 pin into an overclocked 10 core CPU, though. That will be very risky.

This is what you get though when you release two or three separate platforms onto one motherboard.

Old 29-06-17, 01:49 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

I agree with that tom said that being "well it's going to be in a case and have fans blowing at it"
Problem is, shouldn't the heatsinks looks a bit more heatsink-y ? Der8auer is right on that thing "I don't know if they are heatsinks or thermal insulators" Putting a slab of metal on the vrms and calling it a heatsink (giving it 5mm of "fins") doesn't cut it.

I know that efficiency has come a long way but we are talking big chips that have a tonne of cores and a great amount of current to run. Take a look at the x58 TuF, the crosshair IV extreme, or the X99 WS from asus (something modern), beeing a motherboard manufacturer and thinking "hey there are going to be fans around the vrms so it's fine" it's a bit half-arsed isn't it? Especially if you are paying that amount of money, you want everything to be perfect

That all if that's the case, if it is indeed his PSU then he's made a half arsed "Experiment" lol

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 29-06-17, 01:50 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post

It will all depend on power draw on actual retail samples. I still don't think it's a good idea to run a single 8 pin into an overclocked 10 core CPU, though. That will be very risky.

Ive done all of mine with a single 8 - adding more got me nothing but more cable mess tbh. Made no difference to the PSU what so ever