Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D Reviews & Videos

Old 16-09-15, 09:02 AM
The Guvnor

MSI GTX980Ti Lightning Review

The MSI Lightning model has sat at the top of the MSI range since its inception. We review the latest in that long line, the GTX980Ti.

MSI GTX980Ti Lightning Review

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 16-09-15, 11:41 AM

Cool !

This looks pretty cool one among other 980Tis!
Old 16-09-15, 12:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
The RGB lights are obviously a nice touch but we firmly believe they would sell vast more quantaties of this card if you had comstomisable panels where you had black as the standard colour and you could add your own blue, red, white, green panels to suit your own system. If MSI had addressed this point it would have been a total slam dunk.
I don't really understand this point? No other manufacturer currently does it so it can't be held as a negative against the Lightning. Is every card not getting an award until somebody does clip on parts?

JR
Old 16-09-15, 12:03 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR23 View Post
I don't really understand this point? No other manufacturer currently does it so it can't be held as a negative against the Lightning. Is every card not getting an award until somebody does clip on parts?

JR
More the fact MSI have dropped the yellow on newer boards because they dont sell. Thats from MSI directly btw. So if they had options for the Lightning to be able to have other colours to work with the RGB's it would sell chuffing loads.

Old 16-09-15, 12:05 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
More the fact MSI have dropped the yellow on newer boards because they dont sell. Thats from MSI directly btw. So if they had options for the Lightning to be able to have other colours to work with the RGB's it would sell chuffing loads.
I understand how that would influence your feedback to MSI but not really the outcome of the review.

JR
Old 16-09-15, 12:06 PM
News Guru

Quote:

JR
The lightning is a weird case TBH, since there is no Yellow Z170 motherboard from MSI there is no real place where this colour matches apart from the X99 yellow motherboard.

I do think if some detachable parts or stickers for the yellow bits it would be easier to make the GPU look nice in a system. Multi colour lighting is useless for a GPU that is clearly designed to be one specific colour.
Old 16-09-15, 12:19 PM
The Guvnor

Quote:
I understand how that would influence your feedback to MSI but not really the outcome of the review.

JR

It hasnt effected the outcome of the review, its just pointing out that it would be the cherry on the top if aesthetically it would match a whole range of systems.

If you want your rig to look nice putting a yellow highlighted GPU in your rig kinda limits options......

The Gigabyte G1 with an RGB is all black and means you can really use the LED option to the max....

Do you get what Im trying to say?

Old 16-09-15, 12:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post
It hasnt effected the outcome of the review, its just pointing out that it would be the cherry on the top if aesthetically it would match a whole range of systems.

If you want your rig to look nice putting a yellow highlighted GPU in your rig kinda limits options......

The Gigabyte G1 with an RGB is all black and means you can really use the LED option to the max....

Do you get what Im trying to say?
They have still gone beyond what any other manufacturer has done. Matrix Platinums are predominately red and then have the totally uncontrollable LED but that wasn't really mentioned as a problem in the past. MSI made a lot of steps forwards, removing all the blue LED's, adding control and retaining their identity at the same time.

There are plenty of neutral motherboards it would suit amazingly well, both in and outside of MSI's range. The product in itself has a coherent and pleasing aesthetic. It's not like it clashes with all PC parts currently on sale (like the Titanium).

JR
Old 16-09-15, 12:47 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
They have still gone beyond what any other manufacturer has done. Matrix Platinums are predominately red and then have the totally uncontrollable LED but that wasn't really mentioned as a problem in the past. MSI made a lot of steps forwards, removing all the blue LED's, adding control and retaining their identity at the same time.

There are plenty of neutral motherboards it would suit amazingly well, both in and outside of MSI's range. The product in itself has a coherent and pleasing aesthetic. It's not like it clashes with all PC parts currently on sale (like the Titanium).

JR
Not that you're biased or anything.

Old 16-09-15, 12:47 PM

No offence!

I am really disappointed in the "overclocking" section, I thought you were a diehard overclocker? This card is built for extreme overclocking, and that section left me wanting A LOT more. You posted two sentences and a GPU-Z picture, come on bro!

You didn't post anything about what you got the ACTUAL boost clock to, just a GPU-Z picture.. What were the max bench-stable clocks? How easy was the overclocking and testing, how was the overclocking experience? What were temps whilst being overclocked vs stock?

The LED software had more info then the overclocking, cmon man!

Will there be a youtube video coming for this?

PS: I am not trying to be a jerk or anything, I just really expect more out of your reviews because you always go over the top and more in depth than anyone else it seems. I really like that about your reviews.