Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 25-08-15, 02:54 PM
News Guru

Toshiba predicts 128TB SSD by 2018

Toshiba predicts that SSD size will double every year until 2018, meaning that 128TB SSD should be on the market by 2018. Now that is what I call storage!

Read more on Toshiba's planned 128TB SSDs.

Old 26-08-15, 03:04 AM
AMD Enthusiast

So we would need some serious BIOS updates to even recognize the drives. Also don't think Windows would know what to do. Probably BSOD

Also don't think Toshiba should make 4bit layered Nand(QLC). Think that's pushing it. It would be really slow and very quickly die. Vertical techniques wouldn't help much either.
Old 26-08-15, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
So we would need some serious BIOS updates to even recognize the drives. Also don't think Windows would know what to do. Probably BSOD

Also don't think Toshiba should make 4bit layered Nand(QLC). Think that's pushing it. It would be really slow and very quickly die. Vertical techniques wouldn't help much either.
Doesn't ntsf support 256 terabytes though?
Old 26-08-15, 04:56 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejackale View Post
Doesn't ntsf support 256 terabytes though?
You need to use the GPT format when going over 3TB I think.. Also think the max Harddrive size for a single drive is 16TB but not much info on the web, so not sure.
Old 26-08-15, 06:10 PM

Quote:
You need to use the GPT format when going over 3TB I think.. Also think the max Harddrive size for a single drive is 16TB but not much info on the web, so not sure.
From what I managed to find, GPT allows for a maximum size of 9.4 zettabytes, which is around 9.4 billion terabytes.

But, I also read that the maximum size for ntsf is only 256 terabytes. I believe this is software based though, so they can probably modify it to increase the size when needed.
Old 26-08-15, 08:01 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitejackale View Post
From what I managed to find, GPT allows for a maximum size of 9.4 zettabytes, which is around 9.4 billion terabytes.

But, I also read that the maximum size for ntsf is only 256 terabytes. I believe this is software based though, so they can probably modify it to increase the size when needed.
Windows won't recognize that amount of storage
Old 26-08-15, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Windows won't recognize that amount of storage
Well, everything I've read says that NTFS supports up to 256 terabytes. Like I said, it would be a software problem, and not a hardware problem, as UEFI bios supports, theoretically, enough storage to fill a single hard drive with all of the world's information.(current)
Old 27-08-15, 12:06 AM
OC3D Crew

I think you guys are ignoring a little detail

Even if SSD prices will drop to 0.10$/GB by 2018, BIOS compatibility will be a relatively small issue compared to drive cost lol

Moreover, QLC is pure bs. VNAND won't make QLC good as it happened to Samsung TLC, period.

Pretty sure that by 2018 the new intel/micron 3dxpoint will be fairly common, at least in enterprise sectors