Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Rig Gallery

Old 07-08-13, 02:26 AM

My first watercooling build

Hi Guys,

I've finally finished my first watercooling build! Was it fun? Yes! Was it frustrating at times? Hell yes!

Would I recommend it to other noobs? Definitely, but be sure to do a lot of reading before you purchase your components. I didn't ask for any advice, but I read a lot of what was being said on OC3D and rewatched a bunch TTL videos. This helped me out a lot and enabled me to avoid a few rookie errors.

Specs are as follows:

Case: NZXT Switch
Radiators: Alphacool 360 Monsta & 240 Monsta
Pump: D5 with Koolance top + tube res.
CPU Block: Koolance 380i
GPU Blocks: Swiftech Komodo Titan GPU block + back plate (grrr more later)
Fans: Corsair SP120QE + Lamptron Controller (I know, noob alert on the fan controller)
Coolant: 2 Litres of EC6 - this was just barely enough for my build. I've got about 150ml left. Had I known I'd be that close I would have bought a 3rd litre.

Stuff I had already:
i7 3770k, MSI Z77 Big Bang Mobo, 2x EVGA Titan SC, Corsair AX850 PSU, Corsair SSD, 2 HDDs, Blue Ray drive.

A few points for any other noobs considering a similar build:

Wash out your radiators! The 360 which i cleaned first wasn't that bad, but thank god I did the 240 it had loads of crap in it.

Get a dremel! To fit the Monsta radiator up top I had to cut out new screw holes and dremel off the top left 5.25 bay guide rail so I could move it as far away from the motherboard as possible. Although they are considered 80mm in height, Monsta rads are 86mm and will intrude on the top of your mother board by about 2mm if mounted in the top of the 810 switch. The dremel came in hand again for mounting my pump and fashioning some brackets for it.

Get some M3 washers if you plan on using the screws that come with the monsta rad to attach Corsair fans. The screw heads are small and will squeeze inside the rubber grommets if you don't have washers.

Buy plenty of fittings. 90 degrees, 45 degrees etc. I had to replan my loop once or twice to get it right, I'm very glad I bought too many or I'd have spent again on shipping and had to wait even longer.

If like me you're fitting GPU blocks, it'll be hard to get to SATA ports etc after you have them in place. Don't power anything until you're 100% sure you aren't going to get any leaks and have tested extensively, but do fit the cables and just make sure they aren't connected to a power source.

Also black nickel != Black... You'll see my 90 degree compression to compression fittings are pretty silver if you ask me. Looks a bit worse with the flash, but they are not Black.

Complaints about any components:
The Swiftech Komodos came with m2x8mm screws. These are not long enough to get through the back plate and grab the GPU block. Trust me I tried long and hard to get them to fit but the standoffs are too long for them to reach. I suspect Swiftech have forgotten to include the correct screw lengths despite them being the ones described in the instructions. I've emailed them but to be honest I wasn't bothered waiting.

Anyway, here are some Photo:

The build begins!

I found removing the top of the case was by far the easiest way to mount the radiator. Obvious to anyone who's experienced.

Waiting for the Reservoir tube to arrive. It was missed in my order :-(

This is as far over to the left I could get the top rad without dremeling out some structural components. It still rests against the top heatsink on my motherboard, but it isn't applying pressure thankfully!

Getting ready for filling the loop / leak testing!

Yay! No leaks!

The end result

Rig Gallery:
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=55766
Old 07-08-13, 05:11 AM
AMD Enthusiast

2 Titans? Holy ... Do you regret buying those instead of 2 780s? In the end nice build!
Old 07-08-13, 05:32 AM

that looks terrific!!! Well done sir, that loop looks great. Also, I'm also curious to NBD's question.

Old 07-08-13, 10:27 AM
OC3D Elite

fair play dude. first WC rig and it looks awesome.
Old 07-08-13, 10:39 AM

Thanks guys!

@NeverBackDown & LogLog

I bought the Titans as soon as they came out, well before the 780 hit the shelves. I also game at 5760x1080 so hopefully that extra memory helps a little.

But if I was buying again right now the 780 would be a no brainer. But the same could be said for the 3770k and the new 4770k.

Regrets, no, but I'd make changes if I was buying from a shop right now.

Rig Gallery:
http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=55766
Old 07-08-13, 04:58 PM
AMD Enthusiast

^^^ Well at least you do not regret it. That's all that matters!
Old 07-08-13, 05:02 PM

nice looking rig
Memory: 16GB - G Skills Ripjaws Z @ 1866 || SSD: Crucial M4 128GB (OS) || HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB (Games) || Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X || CPU + Mobo Cooling: Custom water cooling || Power Supply: Corsair TX950w ||
Case: Coolermaster HAF X

OC3D Overclockers Club Member #018
Old 07-08-13, 05:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Would love to see some light shots, with some lighting
[OFFICIAL] OC3D Overclockers Club Member [#025]
Old 07-08-13, 05:30 PM
OC3D Elite

Nice!

Could use some better colour co-ordination though. White fan rings, yellow motherboard accents, gold PSU accents and green GPU lights don't mix very well.

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 07-08-13, 06:01 PM
OC3D Elite

Looks good overall -

The SLI fitting for the watercooling just looks wrong to me. You should have used crystal link IMO.