Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Rig Gallery

Old 22-04-12, 06:09 PM
OC3D Elite

Alright guys, as some of you may be aware, the time has come for me to build my new rig.

My previous rig consisted of a Q8200, MSI P45 Platinum, Crucial Ballistix Tracers, Antec 902, and it's featured several GPUs, with the fastest and last one being a GTX470 with a Zalman VF3000F cooler. It is now, however, no longer fast enough for my needs. I sold it two months ago when I could still get something out of it.

And so here I am, building a new rig!

The overall colour scheme I'll be going with is white/black/orange. I thought the name "KingPenguin" would be quite accurate and funny. ^^

I've done my best to pick components that match, while not compromising on speed or quality. Now, I'm sure you're all interested in the specs, so here they are!

Case: Corsair 600T Special Edition (White)

Motherboard: MSI Z77 GD65

Memory: G.Skill Ares 2133mhz orange 16GB

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K

Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE Orange

GPU: Asus HD7970 DirectCU II TOP

SSD: Samsung 830 series 128GB

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001

PSU: [s]CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 600w (won it by writing a review on some earbuds)[/s] << DIED. Now have a Corsair AX850

Sound: Asus Xonar DGX with Sennheiser PC 360 G4me

Orange / White Bitfenix Alchemy cable extentions all around.

Corsair fans will be replaced by Xigmatek smoked/orange ones.

All in all, a high-end PC that should definitely look the part!

All of the parts except for the CPU have been ordered, and I've already received some as well.

I will update this post as parts start to arrive, and finally I'll post lots of pics showcasing the finished product!

If you like this build, be sure to click the "follow this topic" button on the top right of the page or 'like' it, because there's loads more to come! Cheers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*UPDATE 1 26/04/12*

So I've received everything, except for the CPU! I will start building it tonight, but first I'm gonna grab something to eat. Here's some pictures for ya!

And not to forget, meow!

Might post some more pictures tonight or over the week-end, as the build progresses. Have a good one!

Now using a Corsair AX850 instead of the CM Silent Pro Gold 600w, because that one died the second time I turned it on.

And just cause I know how much you all love DVD drives.. here's what I use!

Old 22-04-12, 06:25 PM
OC3D Elite

And here's the finished rig..

Side view with the panel on

And with the panel off..

Shot of lower cable management. You can just about catch a glimpse of the orange Bitfenix sata cables I used, but the massive graphics card covers up most of them

Below you can clearly see the LED strip I used. I've routed it all around the edges of the case.

Ooohhh that sexy cooler..

The G.Skill Ares ram is hidden below the massive Phanteks cooler.

Top view with the mesh grille off. You can see that I've used sleeved extensions for the fan cables. They're made by Phobya I believe.

And here's the top view with the grille on. I know some of you are going to hate me for putting on the stickers, but what the hell..

And here it is, sitting comfortably in my room!

I hope you've enjoyed watching this build come together guys!
Old 22-04-12, 06:25 PM
OC3D Elite

you may want to upgrade that PSU, if you are going to OC this rig
Old 22-04-12, 06:28 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdiamond View Post

This. 600W on that system will be pushing it a bit tbh. Apart from that it looks awesome!

Old 22-04-12, 06:31 PM
OC3D Crew

Sounds interesting !

looking forward to seeing final pics !
Old 22-04-12, 06:33 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugdiamond View Post

Are you sure? I think it should just be able to handle it tbh, Ivy's supposed to be quite efficient and I don't plan on putting a high voltage OC on it.

Not so sure about the 7970.. recommended by AMD is 550w I believe. Guru3D recommends the same.

Just did a PSU calc with OC'ed 2600k and 7970 and it came up with around 480w full load.

Either way, if it's going to be a problem I'll replace it, but seeing as this unit cost me nothing and it should be of good quality I'm going to take my chances first.
Old 22-04-12, 06:36 PM
OC3D Elite

That power supply has a ton of headroom, don't listen to them........great choice

You should of aimed for this motherboard though

Old 22-04-12, 06:44 PM
OC3D Crew

I just put your system into a power calculator and it seems my estimations were a bit high. I got 520W with a very high CPU OC on a 2600K, so actually you should be just about ok

Old 22-04-12, 06:50 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthud1 View Post

That power supply has a ton of headroom, don't listen to them........great choice

You should of aimed for this motherboard though

Biostar TZ77XE4
Cheers! I've thought about it, but there's several things I don't like about that mobo and I figured most of the blue from the GD65 will be covered up by the massive CPU cooler and graphics card anyway, so it should look fine. If not, I'll think of something to make it look good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolHead247 View Post

I just put your system into a power calculator and it seems my estimations were a bit high. I got 520W with a very high CPU OC on a 2600K, so actually you should be just about ok
Yeah should be fine. 520w is an absolute worst case scenario anyway, and even then I've got almost 100w of headroom.
Old 22-04-12, 06:53 PM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjenIsM3 View Post
Yeah should be fine. 520w is an absolute worst case scenario anyway, and even then I've got almost 100w of headroom.
Yeah, i ran that calculation with a 2600K at 1.5v which as we all know is not safe for 24/7 usage, so you should be good to go

EDIT: Are you planning on putting some LED strips in the case? I think some orange or white ones would look awesome