Dirt Rally Review

Hey guys, loving this game, so thought I would do a review

Old 01-05-15, 10:36 AM
The Guvnor

Moved to member reviews

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 01-05-15, 10:52 AM
The Webmaster

has it got anything on Colin McRae Dirt? Because from what I saw previously, it really doesn't Would love to be proven wrong. Dirt went in a very different direction for a while, it'l be nice to see it return to it's roots.

Any info on input methods? did you play with keyboard or controller? what's the steering wheel support like? head tracking? any more info on that at all?
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 01-05-15, 11:10 AM

Hey SuB. I don't think it would be fair to compare to Colin McRae, as this takes a more sim approach, rather than a arcadey style. I also use both 360 pad and wheel but found I struggled too much with the wheel (me being a noob really) and stuck with the 360 pad. Head tracking works from what I have read around other forums, as does the Oculus Rift.
Old 01-05-15, 11:12 AM
OC3D Elite

Oioi Greg!

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 01-05-15, 11:12 AM
The Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster View Post
Hey SuB. I don't think it would be fair to compare to Colin McRae, as this takes a more sim approach, rather than a arcadey style. I also use both 360 pad and wheel but found I struggled too much with the wheel (me being a noob really) and stuck with the 360 pad. Head tracking works from what I have read around other forums, as does the Oculus Rift.
The first Colin McRae DiRt was more simmy than arcadey the later ones in the series went more arcadey.

Have they done away with the 'retry' option in this release? (the whole rewind time and try again thing)

Thanks for the reply
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | i7-8700k | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz DDR4 | nVidia RTX 2080Ti | Creative Audigy Rx | 1Tb Samsung 970 EVO+ M.2 | 1TB Samsung 860 QVO | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM850 | Fractal Define S | Noctua NH-U14S | Roccat Kone Optical - Navy Storm | QPad MK85 Pro w/ Cherry Red MX | DELL U2413 + 2 x U2412M | AKG K702's | AKG K7XX S/N#000016 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ohm | TM Hotas Warthog Stick and Throttle | Saitek Combat Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5 | TrackClip Pro

Notice: Don't feed the trolls!
Old 01-05-15, 11:15 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuB View Post
The first Colin McRae DiRt was more simmy than arcadey the later ones in the series went more arcadey.

Have they done away with the 'retry' option in this release? (the whole rewind time and try again thing)

Thanks for the reply
Yeah the original was brilliant. "Let's see how ya dud"

As the brand has evolved it's become more and more American and alas, more and more e.

Dirt 2 was about the best IMO.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 01-05-15, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply
I believe there's no rewind - I've been browsing the Steam user reviews.
Getting pretty good stuff back so far.
Old 01-05-15, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault-Tec View Post
Oioi Greg!
Hey Andy

Quote:

Thanks for the reply
If you go back to the Toca games, this feels more like those in terms of controls. You still have retrys but nothing as daft as the rewind option from Dirt.
Old 01-05-15, 11:35 AM
Bettyswollocks

Props to you for the early access review, Codemasters have stated that the "corner pulling" is down to a steer assist that will be changeable in the final release. Whoo hoo for the Assetto Corsa mention (now that is a Sim) while PCars is very SimCadey main thing is it looks pretty, still would love to know the input methods available and how they work with Dirt Rally and also the Physics and how they stack up against the old but gold WRC from way back in 1996 when IMHO was the last great rally sim.