Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 24-10-20, 11:11 AM
OC3D Elite

If they bring one out that looks like the R9 290X Vapor X im in

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Old 24-10-20, 01:04 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNosser View Post
I'm saving up but it might be late novemember before I'm ready but i'll just get what i can afford if the prices are kept down then i can get a more powerful card, but it'll be one of the three they announce next week without any doubt even if i have to save harder for it
I think AMD should try to undercut Nvidia. They could be finally at the stage where they can steal serious thunder. They've got Zen 3 hype behind them, and if they come out guns blazing and not just 'matching' Nvidia in price to performance (but beating them in everything but RTX and DLSS) they could take a large portion of sales from them. If the 6800XT beats or even matches a 3080 but at $600 and with a lower TDP and more memory, that would be a win-win even if their RT and upscaling technology is slightly behind.

I hope they don't just do what they've done for the last few years and say, "Hey, guys, we still exist, please buy our products", and letting Nvidia make all the market decisions. If AMD says, 'No' and creates its own groove, I think they'd do well. They're finally at the stage where they have the mindshare and the architecture to maybe pull it off.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX
Old 24-10-20, 01:17 PM

Bad Ass!!!!!
Old 24-10-20, 11:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryGoldfish View Post
I think AMD should try to undercut Nvidia. They could be finally at the stage where they can steal serious thunder. They've got Zen 3 hype behind them, and if they come out guns blazing and not just 'matching' Nvidia in price to performance (but beating them in everything but RTX and DLSS) they could take a large portion of sales from them. If the 6800XT beats or even matches a 3080 but at $600 and with a lower TDP and more memory, that would be a win-win even if their RT and upscaling technology is slightly behind.

I hope they don't just do what they've done for the last few years and say, "Hey, guys, we still exist, please buy our products", and letting Nvidia make all the market decisions. If AMD says, 'No' and creates its own groove, I think they'd do well. They're finally at the stage where they have the mindshare and the architecture to maybe pull it off.
If they're wise they'll keep roughly the same margins they have on previous generations. These are on the same node as Zen, the amount that they're buying from TSMC, they should be getting a good price. Its a fairly mature process, 5nm is not too far off now and i would have thought they're getting pretty good at working with this lithograph, lets just hope they keep their act together on the driver side. What i really hope for, is that they haven't gone nuts on the power consumption. Jensen was going on about Nvidia and efficiency and if they compete in performance and price and then do it using less power it will be a real shake up. those 30 series cards are nuts on power and Intel's cards are rumoured to be super power hungry too atm, AMD could give themselves a lot of good press if they can be the "green" choice at no expense of performance and potentially cheaper.
Old 24-10-20, 11:57 PM
OC3D Elite

The latest rumour I'm hearing is that AMD won't be cheaper as they've realized they can compete, so don't be surprised if they do a Radeon Seven on us
Coolermaster H500P White ARGB=AMD Ryzen 3700X=MSI Prestige X570 Creation=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3600Mhz White Dom Plats RGB= Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro Plus=Coolermaster ML360R ARGB=MSI Optix MPG341CQR=Roccat AIMO 122=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Roccat Kone AIMO White=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with RBG strip=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Razer Firefly RGB CE=Chasepower Pure Sinewave UPS
Old 25-10-20, 12:14 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalabur50 View Post
The latest rumour I'm hearing is that AMD won't be cheaper as they've realized they can compete, so don't be surprised if they do a Radeon Seven on us
In fairness the 7 was quite cheap for what went into it. Not the performance, but the HBM, the alu cooler etc. It wasn't a cheaply made card.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 25-10-20, 12:44 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
In fairness the 7 was quite cheap for what went into it. Not the performance, but the HBM, the alu cooler etc. It wasn't a cheaply made card.
What I meant was they priced it the same as the 2080, and yeah it was cheap for what it was, still I suspect they might match or at best be $50 cheaper, still I can live in hope that they are $99 cheaper
Coolermaster H500P White ARGB=AMD Ryzen 3700X=MSI Prestige X570 Creation=Intel Optane SSD 9 480GB PCIE=32gig 3600Mhz White Dom Plats RGB= Sapphire RX5700XT Nitro Plus=Coolermaster ML360R ARGB=MSI Optix MPG341CQR=Roccat AIMO 122=Corsair Force LS 960GB=Roccat Kone AIMO White=EVGA Supernova 850 G2=White Sennheiser Game One=NZXT Hue+ with RBG strip=Windows 10 Pro=Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS=Razer Firefly RGB CE=Chasepower Pure Sinewave UPS
Old 25-10-20, 01:18 PM
OC3D Elite

I want to believe this so badly, but prior experience has taught me otherwise.
Old 25-10-20, 01:55 PM

If the XT comes in a 3080 perf then it will be priced in the same ballpark. If it comes in above, then max will be circa €1000. Why would they undercut if the have the superior option? The gaming cards are subsidised by the Enterprise variants. Nvidia is stronger there so they can go closer to the bone on margins knowing full well they can sell on the what used to be the Quadro variant for a minimum of X2 going up to X5 pricing of the consumer variant. 3090s consumer price = entry level in Enterprise land. AMD's MI Instinct or Radeon Pro have not got the foothold they need to subsidise the same way so need the max they can get. Fine, they may produce a loss leading Halo product but only in quantities of less that 10k.
Nvidia have also effectively held up a flag and said there is room enough for 2 pricing wise and have handed over the option to AMD to take a place at the table by delaying the 3070 announcement until after the RDNA2 announcements. AMD could go for the jugular but they are not strong enough to do so in reality. So 3 or 4 tiers, priced alongside. If you prefer raster go AMD, if you need current dev of RT, go Nvidia.
Old 25-10-20, 03:35 PM
Old N Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalabur50 View Post
But that's letting Nvidia dictate pricing. In the past that made sense. But they're now at the stage where they can shape things for themselves; price it however they want. Fiji, Vega, Radeon VII, Polaris, all of these cards were forced outside of their optimum range. Fiji, Vega, Radeon VII were forced to clock too high and they cost too much. They had no choice. Polaris could be priced extremely well, but they needed to push the clocks higher than they would have liked. RDNA2 could be the first architecture that 'scales' to wherever AMD want it to be. Maybe that's an unrealistic or even idealistic way of looking at things, but Zen has paved the way for AMD, and Intel has to catch up or 'follow'. If RDNA2 is as good as rumoured, AMD could pave the way in the GPU space as well and start to dictate a highly lucrative share of the market.
BenQ XL2730Z ⁞⁞ Mixonix Naos 7000 ⁞⁞ Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown ⁞⁞ Audio-GD NFB-15 ⁞⁞ EVE SC205 ⁞⁞ AKG K7XX