Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Hardware & Software > New Build Advice
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 23-11-17, 05:18 PM
Keyrings Keyrings is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
New build help?

Some probably recognise me from the Discord, but anyway: I'm planning a new rig and have a parts list I like but looking for a few things;
- Any tips/improvements,
- Monitor recomendations,
- Fan recomendations
- General thoughts.

Please bear in mind this is for gaming/streaming with a £2000 budget and a black and white theme - but hopefully as cheap as possible

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xfwcWX

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-11-17, 05:31 PM
Reloaded2's Avatar
Reloaded2 Reloaded2 is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 529
You have a £2000 budget but only a 1060? And it's a expensive 1060.

Move the CPU platform to ryzen and move the 1060 to a 1070/180 if you are lucky
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-11-17, 05:36 PM
Tolemac's Avatar
Tolemac Tolemac is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bonkersville.UK
Posts: 2,490
Does the £2000 budget include a monitor?
__________________

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23-11-17, 05:40 PM
AverageNinja's Avatar
AverageNinja AverageNinja is offline
Average Penis Too
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 3,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaded2 View Post
You have a £2000 budget but only a 1060? And it's a expensive 1060.

Move the CPU platform to ryzen and move the 1060 to a 1070/180 if you are lucky
Agreed. At that budget I'd shoot for a 1070 or higher.

For streaming, Ryzen 7 is king with its 8c/16t goodness. With that cooler you'd probably be able to OC to 4GHz. At that point Ryzen is more than adequate for gaming. Your framerate will be slightly lower compared to Intel, but it won't be noticeable unless you're gaming on a monitor with a really high refresh rate.

You'd also have a clear upgrade path with Ryzen, since AMD will keep socket AM4 around until at least 2021. If you buy a good motherboard now, chances are you'll be able to keep it for up to 6 years if you upgrade your CPU every 2~3 years.

Other than that your parts list looks good. 32GB of RAM might not be necessary, even for streaming. 16GB should get the job done. Just get higher speed (3000MHz+) if you do switch to Ryzen. But it's up to you.
__________________
JavaBean: Ryzen 5 1600 / Corsair ML240L RGB / ASUS Crosshair 6 Hero / 16GB Corsair LPX / ASUS RX 580 Strix / Corsair RM750X / Fractal Design Meshify C

OC3D Overclockers Club Member:
Nr. #00 (Club Owner)


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23-11-17, 05:41 PM
Keyrings Keyrings is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolemac View Post
Does the £2000 budget include a monitor?
£2000 for the whole setup so yeh. I'd be happy to drop some specs in order for a good monitor (or two)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23-11-17, 05:46 PM
Tolemac's Avatar
Tolemac Tolemac is offline
OC3D Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bonkersville.UK
Posts: 2,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrings View Post
£2000 for the whole setup so yeh. I'd be happy to drop some specs in order for a good monitor (or two)
Any idea what resolution you want e.g. 1920 x 1080 or 2560 x 1440p?. As Average said 16gb of ram should be enough. I would get a 1070 over the 1060 though bud
__________________

Build Log: http://forum.overclock3d.net/showthread.php?t=72241

“If you knew the magnificence of the three, six and nine, you would have a key to the universe.” – Nikola Tesla

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23-11-17, 06:15 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,418
No point in getting a wireless headphone. Because you don't have Bluetooth...

Just get a gaming headset and plug it in. Don't waste good cans with wireless it defeats the point. Just my 2 cents.
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23-11-17, 06:30 PM
Reloaded2's Avatar
Reloaded2 Reloaded2 is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageNinja View Post
Agreed. At that budget I'd shoot for a 1070 or higher.

For streaming, Ryzen 7 is king with its 8c/16t goodness. With that cooler you'd probably be able to OC to 4GHz. At that point Ryzen is more than adequate for gaming. Your framerate will be slightly lower compared to Intel, but it won't be noticeable unless you're gaming on a monitor with a really high refresh rate.

You'd also have a clear upgrade path with Ryzen, since AMD will keep socket AM4 around until at least 2021. If you buy a good motherboard now, chances are you'll be able to keep it for up to 6 years if you upgrade your CPU every 2~3 years.

Other than that your parts list looks good. 32GB of RAM might not be necessary, even for streaming. 16GB should get the job done. Just get higher speed (3000MHz+) if you do switch to Ryzen. But it's up to you.
100% I agree.

So the best thing to do is reduce the RAM to 16GB (Ryzen compatible and high speed) and move over to the Ryzen 7 (way better for streaming) and make sure your motherboard is compatible too.

Then change the 1060 to a 1070 and avoid the wireless earphones.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23-11-17, 07:11 PM
NeverBackDown NeverBackDown is offline
AMD Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: With the Asguardians of the Galaxy
Posts: 16,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloaded2 View Post
100% I agree.

So the best thing to do is reduce the RAM to 16GB (Ryzen compatible and high speed) and move over to the Ryzen 7 (way better for streaming) and make sure your motherboard is compatible too.

Then change the 1060 to a 1070 and avoid the wireless earphones.
Has it been proven it's better for streaming vs a 8700k? It was for the 7700k but I haven't seen anyone test it with 8700k.
__________________
I am Iron Man.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23-11-17, 10:40 PM
Reloaded2's Avatar
Reloaded2 Reloaded2 is offline
OC3D Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
Has it been proven it's better for streaming vs a 8700k? It was for the 7700k but I haven't seen anyone test it with 8700k.
That's a good question - I am not sure but as Average pointed out he can still upgrade down the line with Ryzen and use the money saved on the CPU + Mobo on the 1070
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
first build, gaming, help please, new builder, streaming

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump










All times are GMT. The time now is 07:44 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.