Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Cooling Forum > Liquid Cooling

Old 11-05-20, 01:36 PM
OC3D Crew

EK-Scalar Dual 4-slot advice

Hi all.

I have a Rog Rampage 6 Extreme and current have two GPUs connected - one in slot 1 and another in slot 5 (although it's only the 4th down as where slot 2 would be is a space.

They are spaced like this this to show of as much of the mobo as possible and they are the two x16 slots.

I've been having issues getting the soft tubing between the 2 cut to length so the cards are both exactly horizontal and it's quite frustrating (for me at least!).

I've considered purchasing one of EKs scalar blocks, however, it would appear they do not make a 5 slot block.

The EK-Scalar Dual 4-slot advice says it is suitable for blocks 81mm apart and having measured mine this is the distance between the two blocks (measure between the top of each block as they have back plates.

Am I wrong in thinking this would be suitable? If no block is compatible do you guys have any tips for soft tubing to get the exact lengths required?

Thanks,
Paul

Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 11-05-20, 01:57 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trawetSluaP View Post
I've been having issues getting the soft tubing between the 2 cut to length so the cards are both exactly horizontal and it's quite frustrating (for me at least!).
It's easy. Firstly connect everything up. Then you should have something that looks like this.

Get yourself a set of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERGEN-Di...gAAOSw2hhck8lM

Close them all the way, then reset to 0. Then, using these two prongs.

Open up the caliper until it reaches the two red lines in Fig 1.

That will give you a precise length for the tube. Then, take some tubing and insert something into one end. Heat it with a hair dryer or heat gun. Plastics and rubbers all have a "memory" IE - the original shape they were made in. They are curled up because of what happens after. So simply warm it up until it reaches memory temp and it will straighten, a bit like this.

Before. As you can see I use an old plastic antenna for holding it (it gets hot lol)

After

And in.

Old 11-05-20, 02:31 PM
OC3D Crew

Nice one!!! Will give this a go! Thank you!

what do you use to cut the tubing?
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | PG279Q, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 11-05-20, 02:37 PM
OC3D Elite

Depends on your GPU blocks.

Newer EKFC terminals are not compatible with older CSQ design GPU blocks.

Also measure the distance between the slots because EK do actually have quite a few terminals for bridging but they often mention the gap distance. Sometimes 2slot/3slot etc can be a little misleading if as you say, one of yours is covered up or non existant

Personally, I think the nicest looking design to make everything uniform, and neat is to go with crystal tubing (hard tube) and a couple or 4 fittings. (serial vs parallel)

However, is this what you refer to?

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-term...parallel-plexi

If you go for something like this. You will also need to buy port blanks to plug the open slots

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fc-terminal-x4-plexi
Old 11-05-20, 02:42 PM
OC3D Crew

If I got down the block route I was considering this one.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-scalar-dual-4-slot-acetal

Old 11-05-20, 02:48 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
If I got down the block route I was considering this one.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-scalar-dual-4-slot-acetal
yeah its personal preference, but I don't like the look of that one. I would just opt for either tubing like Alien suggested or Hard tubing. Hard tube looks so neat and tidy and of course you just cut it to the length you need.

Example

EK Terminals are convenient but not as nice looking. I used it in my 1000D build but wasnt 100% satisfied.
Old 11-05-20, 03:02 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Nice one!!! Will give this a go! Thank you!

what do you use to cut the tubing?
This will see you right.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/34mm-Plas...QAAOSwHQZdcBqZ

Or once the tube is straight you can use a stanley blade and a hammer lol. Just make sure you do that over a chopping board.

Old 11-05-20, 10:17 PM

I just use a decent pair of scissors. lol
Current Rig:i7 [email protected] w/ Heatkiller IV Pro Pure Copper, ASUS Z270i, 16GB Patriot Viper 4 3400MHz CL16, Zotac GTX 980Ti [email protected]/7804 w/ Custom Copper Watercool Heatkiller IV XL, Samsung 256GB 960 EVO M.2 and 120GB 840 EVO SSD, XSPC Twin DDC Dual Bay Res w/ 2x Laing DDC-1T Plus on watercooled Alphacool Heatmaster II, 2x 240mm Alphacool ST30 w/ EK Furious Vardar EVO fans on watercooled Aquearo 6LT, EKWB Cryofuel Clear, Fractal Arc Midi R2, Dell U2412M, CM Rapid-i w/Browns, R.A.T. 7, Kingston HyperX Cloud
Old 12-05-20, 07:36 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Crapman View Post
I just use a decent pair of scissors. lol
I've tried that and always get an uneven cut, however, I hadn't tried Alien's heating technique before so hopefully this will help!

Old 12-05-20, 08:07 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
I've tried that and always get an uneven cut, however, I hadn't tried Alien's heating technique before so hopefully this will help!
well you dont need a perfect cut. I'd often have a raised edge. But a sharp knife or stanley blade always corrected that.

Sounds like you need bigger scissors then if you cant get a clean snip. And also use the full range of motion. As dumb as it sounds, doing several small cuts will never get an even finish.