Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Mainboard & CPU

Old 21-09-20, 12:14 PM
OC3D Elite

Will there be interferrence?...

Heya everyone,

Probably a bit random to most of you, but I was scourching the web yesterday and I came across this motherboard from ASUS, which I noticed something...

I’ve experinced this issue before on an ASUS motherboard, when the top PCIe slot is so high up, that an GPU won’t fit. Due to it’s backplate will interferre with the I/O cover shield.

Atleast on the picture it looks very tight, when comparing to something like the MSI MAG B550M MORTAR, where the slot is lower and you can clearly see there’s clearance for this.

What do you all think?:

Old 21-09-20, 12:21 PM
OC3D Elite

I'd recommend checking out some videos to see how things look properly(And maybe check if any users have had the issue), the pictures here might not be completely accurate as to how the fancy IO cover thingy lines up with the slot, as cameras are not orthogonal, things closer to them appear larger, so if these are photos rather than renderings then the top of the cover will appear to go over more of the board than it really does.
Old 21-09-20, 12:36 PM
OC3D Elite

I agree. I had the same issue with my GPU on the old Z97 Sabertooth S board. I had to remove the back plate. But, it was a custom one that extended further than usual. Point is though that it should have plenty of clearance.

So maybe its an Asus thing where they have a predesigned amount of clearance for max value.
Old 21-09-20, 01:23 PM
OC3D Elite

Worst issue I used to have was the card locking in the memory retention (bottom ones) so i couldn't get my bloody memory in or out without removing the GPU.

Buy yeah that Asus doesn't look right.

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 21-09-20, 05:34 PM
OC3D Elite

I'd go with Tgrech and look up some video's even the top of that Io on the asus looks to high, maybe a camera angle making it look bigger
RAM: 2x 8GB CORSAIR VENGENCE LED
GPU: Gigabyte white 2070
PSU: Corsair Rm850x
Old 21-09-20, 05:36 PM
OC3D Crew

MY current board is extremely tight with a GPU /w backplate.

Defo check out some videos. OR do you have a nearby shop they may sell the board that you could ask them to demo/check for you?
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | HP Omen 27i, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 21-09-20, 05:39 PM
AMD Enthusiast

I had that problem before. Easy fix. I just loosened the IO Shield, put my GPU in and then made sure the shield wasn't flopping around. Wasn't secured by a screw but it certainly wasn't moving.

With that said that Asus motherboard IO Shield looks like way less room than my board. So but sure but you can probably take it off