Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 31-01-20, 10:17 PM
OC3D Elite

Yeah it's super glossy.

I'd use clear hose but it's kinda janky when the coolant gets old.

It also looks lovely and monotone with the lights off.

I got some more bits ordered earlier. The power button is mushy on the rig. It's 12 years old now. I've got a red vandal switch coming. Not sure where I'm going to put it yet but yeah, that'll help. I'll piggy back off the existing cable.

Also ordered a USB C header that's going in too. Want to bring it all up to date.

I drew up the parts for the RGB diffuser today and cut them out of vinyl. I can stick those directly to the acrylic as templates.

Gonna be some work in that because I've massively over designed it, but it should look sweet

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 01-02-20, 02:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Another update. Maybe the last for a few days (I'm tired and beat !). I've now drawn, plotted and cut all of the templates for the RGB diffuser and a PCIE screw cover. I was going to do that (the screw cover) right back at the beginning but it slipped my mind and then I had to move so time ran out.

I won't try and explain how the diffuser works I'll just build it and post up pics tbh. Much easier that way.

That's all of them cut and two put in place for cutting. Ignore the fact it's red vinyl it's just what I had. Doesn't matter about that, what matters is I can get to points of MM to make things super accurate. Instead of drawing stuff out onto the acrylic and then having pen width issues and ETC for fractions of MM I can just cut them and they're so accurate I could literally assemble a case with no gaps or bits sticking out. TBH? I would say the plotter is more useful for that and I have probably used it far more times for that than making decals etc.

Any way, burnt and badly bruised hands.

Got some cut knuckles in the mix too, so I am taking a couple of days off now. I did do this the other day.

It's nice isn't it? They used to make them for HIFI which is kinda stupid unless your amplifier pulls like 1500w from the wall socket. This one was with a 40w per channel amp so yeah, snake oil at work. However, it's actually really nicely made. Each wire (Earth, Neg, Pos) is made from three strands of solid copper cable twisted.

So, in the rare event my rig ever pulls 1550w (max rated capacity on the PSU lol) then I will be covered. You can't buy this stuff any more which is a shame. People sussed it out eventually and realised it was snake oil. I added the clear 3 pin plug. It had some manky old black thing on there. It was also filthy, so has been thoroughly cleaned etc.

Old 01-02-20, 02:49 PM
OC3D Elite

That's awesome! There's a guy here in Ontario that used to do custom PSU cables like that, with really high-grade components, any color under the rainbow, etc. It's a very rarely-used touch to a proper modded build. Noice!

Old 02-02-20, 12:49 PM
OC3D Elite

I've watched a few videos on YouTube and 1200w+ units do indeed come with a big fat cable.

In fact some kid in Aus had to have an electrical engineer come in and put a socket in the wall because his 1500w PSU came with a big fat plug on it that didn't fit a regular outlet.

I can understand why. When you're pulling high amperage the cable will eventually get very hot. So it does make sense in that regard. My brother and I actually melted a 240v extension cable running an immersion heater from the wall (it failed and we had no hot water ffs).

Old 08-02-20, 10:46 AM
OC3D Elite

The pinnacle of human achievement?

You decide.

Sadly the GPU diffuser is too big (well, one part) so I need to rework that but can't for a while. I only got home Thursday arvo and had to run around town doing errands so that was Thursday gone. Yesterday I had to do loads more errands too, so that was gone also but I'm on new anxiety meds and let's say they're working well. I'm knackered.

Had some problems when I got home too. The PC had somehow gone back to the old BIOS and was being a d word. So I had to mess around for ages. I think I probably flicked the switch accidentally when working blind.

Slow ish progress but hey, fan works a treat.

Old 08-02-20, 02:24 PM
OC3D Elite

Definitely the pinnacle of human achievement, not even debatable, LOL!

Old 08-02-20, 07:15 PM
News Guru

Nice work on the fans. Certainly not what we usually see here. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Old 10-02-20, 01:20 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYP View Post
Nice work on the fans. Certainly not what we usually see here. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
They don't make them any more. It's twelve years old lol. When it arrived I needed the drivers and programming software but it was on a mini cd. Feck. Ended up stripping an old computer for its DVD drive, then realised it was IDE. Thankfully the site still exists and you can get the software there.

They still make like clocks and room fans like it (not the same company, Techmoan has a few devices) but yeah no more PC fans. Which is odd, because it's really cool.

I have drawn up a complete shroud for that and bought some satin black vinyl to cover the horrible logo etc. I also need to braid it and yada ya, same old stuff.

Today I finally finished the GPU LED diffuser. It's a chunk of 8mm acryl, that sits below the block with the LEDs stuck on top. Then there is a grey part that shrouds it in. The issue I had was that the grey part pees light. So I had to glue some acetate (black) to the back. Vinyl was thin and looked patchy. Which meant loads of work and then re polishing all of the edges because they went white from the superglue.

It's not easy when you set yourself a rule "no using power tools in new flat". I had to break that rule twice, but that's it. I also removed a large chunk of flesh from my thumb with the finger belt sander and it's taken two days to dry up.

Couple of notes. It's absolutely filthy and covered in finger marks and the paint still badly needs doing. Few bits and pieces before I get to that, though.

Old 26-02-20, 03:08 PM
OC3D Elite

Calling it done for now. Couple of things left and will get some pics somewhen.

I need to mount the PCIE edge cover but need to make standoffs and I don't have the tools here. Try as I might I failed.

I need to sort out the USB hubs as they hate the board. Thus the rainbow farts as I can't connect to the main Farbwerk. Other than that though, yeah she's done (for now)

The PCIE edge cover is here on the desk.

Old 03-03-20, 03:22 PM
OC3D Elite

OK so you'll know if you read the forum that I decided to downgrade. Yup, you heard it right...

What I mean is I just wanted to buy a new GPU for the rig, given it's all been upgraded. I say downgrade because in overall raw performance it is. However, with DLSS it's an upgrade. For RT it's an upgrade and so on. I've also seen performance metrics of water cooled OC 2070s with near on 1080ti performance so it's not like I've made a massive mistake and will lose tons of performance. Nothing I will even notice with a 70hz monitor, let's just put it that way.

I chose that one because the PCB is really nice and it uses the 2080 PCB with 8 phase power delivery. The stock 2070 and most after market only have one 8 pin. This is also a problem with blocks, as you can't get them. So yeah that was the best choice.

Is the block, or rather.

Still waiting on the GPU. Seems I am being smited for choosing free shipping. Not that I can do anything here any way.