Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] General Forums > OC3D News

Old 27-09-20, 01:22 PM
Resident Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
AMD have good form on things like that though. Their sharpening thing was better than Nvidia's, TressFX was better than Hairworks and so on. They have even made their own API.

I'm not terribly fussed about RT at least on this gen. When things are fully traced maybe it will get my attention more.
Same, I honestly could not give less of a poo about ray tracing, We have real time local reflections, Ok it doesn't give a mirror image of what is around but it still looks good without the huge performance impact and standard ambient occlusion methods have come a long way, Look good and again no massive performance impact.

The only thing I care about with RDNA2 is raster performance for my Index for that 144Hz goodness

Old 27-09-20, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

To see AMD's raytracing at work, just watch some of the console trailers and such seen plenty of it now, it looks decent it's just maybe more subtle but if you look at some of them you can't say that all them games look bad by any means.

DXR matters to me, but I don't need some marketing speak version RTX so long as what i get has the API support I couldn't care less
Old 28-09-20, 06:47 AM

Drivers have always been AMD's weak point, if they can nail those alongside the hardware I'm quietly optimistic they will have a strong line up this time around - factor in if they can also manage to keep their power consumption lower than some of the Nvidia options...

Oh and availability in numbers at launch (here's hoping anyway).
Old 28-09-20, 10:51 AM
OC3D Crew

Hehe, from the side it looks almost as an RTX 20 series Founder's Edition.
Old 28-09-20, 11:01 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImprovizoR View Post
DLSS is a big selling point for Nvidia, but it works only in a few games, so it would be rendered useless if AMD comes up with a solution that runs in every game. That would be a huge win for them.
I'd hope we'd have a choice.

Go AMD for DLSS in ALL games with a good boost to performance.

Go NV for DLSS in some games with a larger boost to performance.

That's how I can see it going.
Enthoo Elite | i9-7900X | Rampage VI Extreme | Dominator Platinum 32GB | RTX 2080 FE | 960 Pro 512GB, 840 Evo 250GB x 2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2 | HP Omen 27i, MX27AQ | Custom Watercooling Loop + Aquaero 6 XT

Old 28-09-20, 11:42 AM
OC3D Elite

It would be very impressive if AMD have managed to train neural networks that can perform DLSS like upscailing on general game input data, but yep definitely not impossible given enough time, money and resources. With the might of Microsoft & Azure behind them, I guess they might have had a chance to have a good crack at it. Though with all of NVidia's resources I don't think there's any doubt they're aiming for that eventually with DLSS too, probably as a fallback option from DLSS trained games at first.
Old 28-09-20, 11:48 AM
OC3D Elite

I thought not requiring game specific training was one of DLSS 2.0's marketed features?
Old 28-09-20, 11:51 AM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by looz View Post
I thought not requiring game specific training was one of DLSS 2.0's marketed features?
It's been rumoured as a possible goal for DLSS 3.0 but besides that nah, for the user DLSS 2.0 was essentially just DLSS 1.0 but good, though it's easier to implement for devs
Old 28-09-20, 11:53 AM
OC3D Elite

One Network For All Games - The original DLSS required training the AI network for each new game. DLSS 2.0 trains using non-game-specific content, delivering a generalized network that works across games. This means faster game integrations, and ultimately more DLSS games.

Source: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...-ai-rendering/
Old 28-09-20, 11:56 AM
OC3D Elite

Oh fair enough, DLSS3 rumours must be on changes on the integration side to make it practically, from a users perspective, one implementation for all games