Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Processors & Platforms > Platforms - Other

Old 06-02-17, 06:31 PM

Asus Laptop X553 Recovery

I'm trying to take this laptop back to its factory setting in order to sell it but I'm having a few problems, mainly down to an oversight but hopefully it's retrievable.

According to the manual pressing F9 during boot should load the recovery partition, but nothing happens. (I think it's due to the device having Windows 8 on it initially and being upgraded to Windows 10). The alternative is to download Asus recovery in Windows 10, and run it from there.

All of this was working successfully and I watched the drive format to 100%. I had to go out so I plugged the mains charger in before I left by which time Windows had installed 2%. When I returned, the laptop was off and upon inspection I realised that the plug wasn't pushed together correctly and it went flat during the installation.

I thought I could just turn on and continue, but it says there was an unexpected shut down and I need to run the installation again. Problem is I can't as it was from Windows.

In the options menu I chose to format the partition containing Windows only so the recovery section must still be there. How do I now boot into it?

Old 06-02-17, 06:38 PM
OC3D Elite

If you ran the laptop with Windows 10 for a certain amount of time your Windows 8 disc (if you even got one) won't work.. I know that may sound a bit irrelevant but I didn't want you spending ages trying to find a Win 8 ISO.

Usually when things go tits up you need either a disc or other media. I suggest downloading the Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and booting from it and reinstalling. - Sorry, to add, put it on a USB stick. They do an app that does all the work for you.

The recovery options should all be a part of the installer tbh and it will seek out and detect any previous installs. Of course that won't matter if you are selling it, just reinstall the OS from scratch as the key is stored in your laptop's bios so you shouldn't even need one. It should just install on and activate automatically

HTH !

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...-download-tool

^ start with that

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 06-02-17, 06:40 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
If you ran the laptop with Windows 10 for a certain amount of time your Windows 8 disc (if you even got one) won't work.. I know that may sound a bit irrelevant but I didn't want you spending ages trying to find a Win 8 ISO.

Usually when things go tits up you need either a disc or other media. I suggest downloading the Win 10 ISO from Microsoft and booting from it and reinstalling. - Sorry, to add, put it on a USB stick. They do an app that does all the work for you.

The recovery options should all be a part of the installer tbh and it will seek out and detect any previous installs. Of course that won't matter if you are selling it, just reinstall the OS from scratch as the key is stored in your laptop's bios so you shouldn't even need one. It should just install on and activate automatically

HTH !

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...-download-tool

^ start with that
You can still use a valid Windows 8 install to upgrade to 10.
Just so much easier and faster to do it with the tool you linked.
Old 06-02-17, 06:42 PM
OC3D Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBackDown View Post
You can still use a valid Windows 8 install to upgrade to 10.
Just so much easier and faster to do it with the tool you linked.
On my OEM Windows 8 I could not even install it any more once I had spent a few months on 10. The serial did not work and the install would stop when it asked for one.

So yeah, Windows 8 should be out of the equation completely now and he will need a 10 installer

OP - sorry mate I can smell my dinner and it's making me forgetful you can build a 10 USB installer on any PC. Just download that file with a 8gb memory stick in the thing and it will build you an installer

If you don't like what I post don't read it.
Old 06-02-17, 06:50 PM

As I have a Windows 10 USB stick I used for my desktop PC, can I use this or do I have to download a new version ISO from the website still?

Will the laptop key still initialise from that?
Old 06-02-17, 07:28 PM
Classy-Fried-Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
As I have a Windows 10 USB stick I used for my desktop PC, can I use this or do I have to download a new version ISO from the website still?

Will the laptop key still initialise from that?

You should be ok if the windows10 you downloaded for your desktop is the same version and arch 64bit most probably....
The windows serial is embedded in the uefi however even if re-installing the setup will autoactivate windows for your after the installation, even if you delete all partitions on your drive. just click I dont have a key during the install phase

--------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Theory is when you have the "know how" but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and no one knows why
Old 06-02-17, 07:54 PM
AMD Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienALX View Post
On my OEM Windows 8 I could not even install it any more once I had spent a few months on 10. The serial did not work and the install would stop when it asked for one.

So yeah, Windows 8 should be out of the equation completely now and he will need a 10 installer
Still works everytime I try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelosouvlakia View Post
You should be ok if the windows10 you downloaded for your desktop is the same version and arch 64bit most probably....
The windows serial is embedded in the uefi however even if re-installing the setup will autoactivate windows for your after the installation, even if you delete all partitions on your drive. just click I dont have a key during the install phase
Yeah, what he said.
Once you have W10 activated and it's genuine, you can reinstall the OS and it'll stay genuine. I've done it before, so no worries, it'll work so long as it's genuine before reinstalling.
Old 06-02-17, 11:36 PM

This is far more promblematic than I first imagined - How do I boot from USB? The boot menu and option only gives me the choice of Windows Boot Manager. I can add others but what's the path I need to add?
Old 07-02-17, 06:32 AM
AMD Enthusiast

Did you use the link above to download Windows 10?
If so it should just be a regular OS install, as if it was the first time.
Old 07-02-17, 09:48 PM

Yeah I've got the download file and put it onto a USB, problem is I can't get it to boot from it. It gives me just Windows Boot Manager which just tries to load the unfinished configuration and that's all.

In the BIOS under boot you can select nothing else to boot from. You can add a new boot device but it asks you for a path for it?