Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Graphics & Displays > Graphics Cards

Old 18-03-15, 06:31 PM

Ideal graphics card for a retro PC?

I've decided to buy myself a retro gaming PC on eBay mainly for my old Windows 9X games of which I have many but my question is what graphics card would I need to go for.

Is going for a new low end card my best option or would games from that period have problems understanding the architecture of new cards and current DirectX configurations?

If a card from the time period of the machine is recommended, what card would be best in that case also.

Old 18-03-15, 06:38 PM
OC3D Elite

Well, a high-end GPU from then will cost you a tenner max and should run all the games nicely. A low-end GPU from now would probably too, but it's going to cost you £30ish and will barely be better than an on-board GPU these days.

What are the rest of the specs like?

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 18-03-15, 06:38 PM
Bettyswollocks

If your gonna go full Retro with a Win 95 - 98 system, then it has to be a retro card. A Voodoo II or Rage Pro could even SLI those bad boys for ultra retro with full Soundblaster Awe 64 goodness thrown in for good measure.
Old 18-03-15, 07:01 PM

Thanks for the replies!

From the eBay listing these specs are the only one's given: -

Intel Pentium 4 3.20GHz
2GB RAM
80GB HDD
DVD Rewriter Drive

It don't have details of what model the motherboard is but I suppose it doesn't matter. It has 2 x PCI and 1 x PCIE X16

This kind of stuff excites me for some reason. A Voodoo II would be good although If I wanted to dual-boot the system in the future with Windows XP also, would games from that period need a card with a bit more horsepower?
Old 18-03-15, 08:05 PM
OC3D Elite

I picked up a 512mb 8800 GTS for a tenner the other week for my Woodbox build. Has a PCI-E 16x interface and should run most games from the early Windows XP era (GTA Vice City/ San Andreas/ Call of Duty 2/ etc).

"If a bear looks good in the woods when nobody is there, is he still a cool ass motherf***ing bear?" - JR23
Old 18-03-15, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feronix View Post
I picked up a 512mb 8800 GTS for a tenner the other week for my Woodbox build. Has a PCI-E 16x interface and should run most games from the early Windows XP era (GTA Vice City/ San Andreas/ Call of Duty 2/ etc).
Would that card also work happily with Windows 98 and games from that era? I've bought the PC, just need to get the card now and that's it!
Old 18-03-15, 10:40 PM
OC3D Elite

Not sure tbh, iirc the card was released in December 2006. Maybe you should have a look at high-end cards that were released at around the same time or maybe a few years later than the Pentium 4 that you have

Old 18-03-15, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithguard View Post
If your gonna go full Retro with a Win 95 - 98 system, then it has to be a retro card. A Voodoo II or Rage Pro could even SLI those bad boys for ultra retro with full Soundblaster Awe 64 goodness thrown in for good measure.
Voodoo gfx cards, now that takes me back
Old 18-03-15, 11:13 PM
Bettyswollocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR View Post
Voodoo gfx cards, now that takes me back
Me too, my first store bought system came with one, then I threw another in for SLI and only Half Life and AvP utilised it. Wish I still had my old system now, would love to fire her up and see how things once were.
Old 18-03-15, 11:49 PM

I'm thinking perhaps a GeForce 6600GT 128MB? I like the sound of a Voodoo but I've been looking around various sites and they are pretty hard to come by at a decent price and in PCI.