Go Back   OC3D Forums > [OC3D] Project Logs & Gallery > Project Logs

Old 12-07-11, 04:43 PM
OC3D Crew

The goal of Goliath was to create a dedicated folding machine where I could maximize my points per day while minimizing the amount of power draw and heat it outputs. Since I live in Florida, this is important for me. The machine will serve a second purpose - it will act as a server/VM host for a test lab for different things...

Initially I thought I'd install VMware's ESXi hypervisor and from there create an Ubuntu VM for folding, a Windows 7 VM and any Windows server VMs that I'd want. However, both ESXi and Citrix's Xen Server are limited to having 8 virtual CPUs in a single VM. This is not going to cut it for me..

My current plan will be to install Ubuntu for the OS and then install VMware Workstation. Within workstation I'll be able to create my Windows/server VMs. Not quite as elegant as using ESXi, but it'll have to do until ESXi supports more vcpus in a VM.

The specs:

-EVGA SR-2 motherboard

-2 x Xeon hexcore E5645 processors

-2 x Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 heatsinks

-12GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 memory

-Seasonic X750 Gold PSU

-1TB WD Black

-Mountain Mods HPTX-SR2 motherboard tray (no case, this will be a naked computer)

I'm hoping to clock the Xeons at 3.4-3.6 for now. I will try to go higher when summer ends and it cools off, probably to 3.8 if I can.

The motherboard came in yesterday..the rest of the parts should be here today. I'll try to update this thread with pics whenever I get a chance. But for now, a little teaser:

Old 12-07-11, 05:19 PM
OC3D Elite

will this be ober 100k ppd?
Old 12-07-11, 06:16 PM
OC3D Crew

Yes, and I'm hoping it will be over 150k ppd with the -bigbeta work units
Old 12-07-11, 07:09 PM
OC3D Elite

face drop

will be a nice rig
Old 13-07-11, 05:18 PM
OC3D Crew

No new pics, but more parts did come in yesterday. I'm still waiting on one of the processors and the motherboard tray...so for now I have the ram, one Xeon and one hsf and one random gpu in the SR-2. It powered on, but sadly I think I put the processor in the wrong socket for single boot (cpu 1 instead of cpu 0) and I did not get anything on the monitor. I didn't feel like changing the cpu over to the other socket, so I'll be testing it today when I get the second cpu. I also realized afterward that the SR-2 has a feature to manually disable individual CPUs via a jumper setting, which could have helped me test it with CPU1, but it was too late for me to try. Here's to hoping I don't have a bad motherboard
Old 13-07-11, 05:50 PM

/drool

Can't wait to see this!

Old 13-07-11, 06:50 PM
OC3D Elite

ESXi 5 is coming soon and will support more than 8 vCPU's per VM if you can wait.

Got the email today from VMware that confirms VM will now support up to 32 vCPU's and 1TB of RAM.
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4700mhz - 47 x 100MHz Mobo: MSI P67A GD65 GPU: EVGA GTX 570 RAM: 2 x 4GB Mushkin LV 1.35v 1600MHz DDR3 HDD: 3 x 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3's Case: CoolerMaster ATCS 840 - Custom House of Kolor paint job. PSU: Corsair HX750 Cooling: Custom WC - XSPC Delta V3, PA120.3, DDC Ultra with XSPC Res Top, 3/8" XSPC UV Green Tubing over 1/2" Barbs OS: Windows 7 Enterprise Edition 64-Bit
Old 13-07-11, 06:55 PM
OC3D Elite

They need to start making dual and quad CPU heatsinks for mammoth builds like this

Subroutine
Lubuntu 12.10 | 2880x1024 | AMD E-350

Old 13-07-11, 08:23 PM
The Guvnor

PHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs

Make the build log good enough and Ill feature this in the Folding Video and front page article. (not forgotten Kup has been chewing my ankles about it!)

Get along or run along. Your choice
Old 14-07-11, 03:46 AM
OC3D Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungral View Post

ESXi 5 is coming soon and will support more than 8 vCPU's per VM if you can wait.

Got the email today from VMware that confirms VM will now support up to 32 vCPU's and 1TB of RAM.
Awesome, that's good to know. I'll definitely move over to v5 when it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytomlogan View Post

PHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOs

Make the build log good enough and Ill feature this in the Folding Video and front page article. (not forgotten Kup has been chewing my ankles about it!)
I will do the best I can! Been really busy with work lately so I haven't had much time to work on it. I did get the 2nd cpu tonight and thew it in, she booted up and I messed around with the bios for a few minutes. So everything is confirmed working at least I've taken some pictures, it's just going to take me a little while before I can find the time to post them and finish the build.